By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the feel on Samus Return's progress?

Saw a IGN thread calling out doom and gloom....but what's the take here. 

Sure it's not selling Pokemon numbers, but I don't think it needs to do so to be considered a success, nor that Nintendo would put Dead Space level sale expectations on it. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Metroid has never been a series known for moving large numbers only SM and Prime sold above expectations the rest just eventually reach with in the 1m range.

Wyrdness said:
Metroid has never been a series known for moving large numbers only SM and Prime sold above expectations the rest just eventually reach with in the 1m range.

SM only did 1.44 million, its right in line with most Metroid titles.

I think you mean the original on NES which did like 2.7 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I think it'll be fine as long as it sells 1m. It would have sold better on the Switch though since it seems like the majority of the 3DS userbase has moved on and are not actively buying games anymore save for Pokemon and old reliable titles that have already sold a ton.

Almost all 3DS games are selling poorly this year, I blame the switch

This will reach at least 500k which is fine all things considered (3DS is dying, 2D metroid is quite niche and japan doesn't really like the franchise) and I higly doubt is making them lose money.

Around the Network

Had this been a Switch title I think it would've sold more. I'm a huge Metroid fan but after getting the Switch I just don't see myself playing in the 3DS anymore, so I skipped it.

I had plans to pick it up. However, I realized that I just don't much care for 3DS anymore. The Switch is now my portable gaming device. It's tough to get into 3DS games anymore, since it is such a huge step back in terms of graphical fidelity.

Last edited by VAMatt - on 23 November 2017

I think it's doing great and will hit 1 million. Just goes to show how much life is left in the 3Ds

Junojun said:
Had this been a Switch title I think it would've sold more. I'm a huge Metroid fan but after getting the Switch I just don't see myself playing in the 3DS anymore, so I skipped it.

VAMatt said:
I had plans to pick it up. However, I realize that I just don't much care for 3DS anymore. This which is now my portable gaming device. It's tough to get into 3DS games anymore, since it is such a huge step back in terms of graphical fidelity.

Come on what's that mentality? It may be a step back in graphics from Switch but the game is great, it deserves to be played, not playing a game you want to play just cause the graphics is a shame imo

Junojun said:

The franchise destiny is at stake. Nintendo makes a new game of great quality that responds to what fans have been asking for ages. And you don't buy it because... screen resolution? No. You're not a huge Metroid fan. You couldn't care less about the franchise.

Anyway...  The game being a remake of an existing title + the 3DS pretty much dying at this point + Nintendo Switch around = Sales not that great. I hope Nintendo takes all of this into consideration when they analyze the numbers of Samus Returns. The game will  get to the 500k for sure and it MIGHT hit 1million with enough time.

Last edited by Vodacixi - on 23 November 2017