By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo Switch is winning because it’s ‘good enough’

power hasnt been a factor in handheld markets, granted it has a docking station, its still that. which is fine, it works well for nintendo since they have not been worried about power since the days of n64.

however, the switch is by far nintendos best console in many years and is getting the 3rd party attention it deserves as there is a market for it as the numbers have clearly shown and its been years but i am finally happy at what nintendo is doing now in the market and media is seeing that as well. I cant wait to see what they can do going forward with it.

Around the Network
Miguel_Zorro said:

People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. When we look back on the top 10 best selling Switch games, none of them will be Rocket League, Skyrim, or Doom.

They'll all be published by Nintendo or have Mario in them somehow.

Doesn't mean people won't buy non first party games, the top 10 on Nintendo platforms are often games that have sold the region of 5-10m+ which is a high target to aim for to begin with.

I have very few use for the portability, so I'm on the opposite end of this.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ljink96 said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. When we look back on the top 10 best selling Switch games, none of them will be Rocket League, Skyrim, or Doom.

They'll all be published by Nintendo or have Mario in them somehow.

I know people hate to hear this but it's the damn truth. The runner ups are games from other Japanese 3rd parties that have the same vision as Nintendo or somewhere in that vein. Stuff like RPGs from Square Enix, Sega's titles, Capcom, etc. 

OP:

The Switch is not groundbreaking in the graphics or processing department but it's an amazing device for how small it is. And yeah, I'd say having an amazing handheld component and "good enough" performance for multiplats is fine. PC gamers every day have to deal with minimum and medium settings. As long as the game runs well enough, I think it's fine. If you want a better experience sure, go get a PS4 or Xbone for those games. No biggie. But  Nintendo's stronghold isn't multiplats, it's exclusives. And boy do they have a shit ton of them that sell really well. 

But you know what?  I'll take those oddball 3rd party RPG's and other such experiences over other consoles top 10's reading GTA, CoD, CoD, Star Wars, Destiny, CoD, Madden, etc.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

"Switch is proving that graphics are not the driver of success"

Why does the Switch need to prove this? It's been demonstrated to varying degrees every generation, and I can't remember claims to the contrary being common (I actually can't remember ever seeing any, but i'm sure there are some). Good graphics are highly valued by a significant portion of the market, but it's never been the end all of the discussion. I value graphics enough to spend £3k+ on a gaming PC, and have done plenty of bitching about the Switch's hardware (i only use it as a home console, so it's peak levels of potato to me), and even i'll still play and enjoy BotW or SMO because they're good games.

I don't understand why the article paints Sony and MS as graphics obsessed either. The PS4 and X1 made significant hardware compromises in favour of other goals. For the PS4 price, and the ease of game development were given priority. Even the Pro and X1X, which are explicitly designed to help ward off the graphics fatigue that sets in for some, are still quite price conscious and built to be kind to developers. Sony and MS use graphics as a marketing point sometimes (particularly MS right now, for obvious reasons), and they do push their hardware as hard as they can (even Nintendo do), but they've tried quite hard to paint a 'games first' image this gen. Enough so that both their E3's have morphed into a one to two hour gameplay marathon :p

All in all i'd say the Switch is as graphics conscious a handheld as the base PS4 and X1 are home consoles. Where Nintendo hit gold is leveraging that power in a different way, so that instead of it just being a powerful handheld, it was also a workable home console. For those that value portability 'workable' is indeed 'good enough'.

Last edited by Zekkyou - on 22 November 2017

Around the Network

I guess I'm polar opposite - I don' care for portability at all, I do care however for Zelda, MK and few other titles - so, I'd rather have home console, with WiiU alike gamepad as optional accessory for those who really want to play it in the bed (or when taking a dump).

The Switch should be the final proof that consumers don't care about specs or tera-flops, or hardware power. They just want something that looks good and does it's job correctly. So can we finally put to rest this tired shit about how Nintendo needs a PS4 clone to get dat third party support, because the Switch is shutting that narrative down effortlessly

LOL these articles are funny. using eshop as proof of a games doing well, which we have no idea what there selling, and switch is winning what exactly? it just came out and ps4 is still out selling it monthly, it hasn't been even out for a full year yet. yet i keep saying theses switch is winning posts. next year sales could fall big time we don't know yet.

TheMisterManGuy said:
The Switch should be the final proof that consumers don't care about specs or tera-flops, or hardware power. They just want something that looks good and does it's job correctly. So can we finally put to rest this tired shit about how Nintendo needs a PS4 clone to get dat third party support, because the Switch is shutting that narrative down effortlessly

Many do care (there's literally an industry largely powered by that care), it's just not all they care about.

I don't really understand your last point. I agree Nintendo shouldn't make a PS4 clone, but that argument has always been made on the basis that it'd (potentially) give Nintendo something close to home console 3rd party parity with Sony and MS. The Switch doesn't have anywhere near that yet (and personally i don't think it ever will), so it seems silly to say it's effortlessly shutting down that 'narrative'.

quickrick said:
LOL these articles are funny. using eshop as proof of a games doing well, which we have no idea what there selling, and switch is winning what exactly? it just came out and ps4 is still out selling it monthly, it hasn't been even out for a full year yet. yet i keep saying theses switch is winning posts. next year sales could fall big time we don't know yet.

I expect he's referring to NPD.