By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo Switch is winning because it’s ‘good enough’

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Chrizum said:

Uhuh, just like that winner handheld called the Vita!

What does Vita have to do with Switch?

Should be obvious. You are stating the Switch is selling solely because it's a handheld. I disagree, because Vita, also being a handheld, flopped harder than a dry humping Cheep Cheep on Koopa Beach.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Zekkyou said:

IRL stuff has made my visits rather sporadic the last 12 - 18 months, but no, I've really not run into it. I've seen people claim that a lack of power will stop the Switch gaining full (relative to the PS4/X1) support, and I've seen people claim the Switch itself is doomed for a variety of reasons, but I've never seen someone claim the Switch has to be at least equally powerful to get support in general.

As i said though, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I've just not personally run into it, at least as far as i can remember.

I remember suggesting that NX could be a similar jump in power over Wii U that Wii was over GC and a ton of people told me Nintendo was doomed to fail unless it was more powerful than PS4.

I take your overall point about performance not being critical to success but the Switch is much more powerful, maybe 2-3x in graphic power in docked mode and is a portable too. Wii was just a gamecube with a 50% speed boost and more memory. 

Azuren said:

I keep seeing that it's winning, but the global numbers regularly show  PS4 outselling it. Am I missing something?

Appearently since winning means beating others in my book. It's selling well that's for sure, but it isn't winning worldwide. Especially as long as the sales in Europe are on the low side. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Azuren said:

I keep seeing that it's winning, but the global numbers regularly show  PS4 outselling it. Am I missing something?

Appearently since winning means beating others in my book. It's selling well that's for sure, but it isn't winning worldwide. Especially as long as the sales in Europe are on the low side. 

Launches aligned it is winning right now. NS could likely do the same numbers as PS4 is doing right now when it will have reached its 4th year on the market, and be at its sales peak.

NS is outperfoming weekly all consoles in NA and Japan in its first year, VS 4th year of PS4 and XOne. I grant you that Europe is the weaker market, but that does seem like a win to me right now since Switch hasn't fulfilled its full commercial potential.

Chrizum said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

What does Vita have to do with Switch?

Should be obvious. You are stating the Switch is selling solely because it's a handheld. I disagree, because Vita, also being a handheld, flopped harder than a dry humping Cheep Cheep on Koopa Beach.

Is Vita the Switch? No. Well you see, I said SWITCH is selling because it is a handheld. I did not say anything about Vita. So your comment has nothing to do with mine. All I request is that you do not quote me with unrelated drivel.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
Chrizum said:

Is Vita the Switch? No. Well you see, I said SWITCH is selling because it is a handheld. I did not say anything about Vita. So your comment has nothing to do with mine. All I request is that you do not quote me with unrelated drivel.

Wow, why retort to such hostility? Just having a friendly discussion on my part, which forums are for, right? Your post contained minimal information about your opinion, just that Switch wins because it's a handheld. Like I said, just it being a handheld is definitely not enough for success. And ease up a little dude!

Zach808 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I've been into gaming before the vast majority of forum users were even alive and studied the industry inside and out so I have a pretty good feel for when something is going to become a mainstream success. Switch had that feel early on and it's why I got mine at launch. It had the right marketing, right approach etc. I just had a really good feeling about it's selling power which I haven't had since the days of Wii. Fortunately, Switch is not only selling well, it's a core gaming system so it's a win-win for people like us. I hope it goes on to win the 9th generation as I feel a powerful Nintendo is good for everyone.

I'd wager money on Minecraft being in there. 

If it was 2011 to 2013, sure, Minecraft would stomp all over a lot of Nintendo games aside from the huge ones.  But in 2017, I'd say it's only gonna do pretty well, like other old ports.

All I said was top 10. 

vivster said:

Yeah, but wouldn't it be cool to have portability AND actual hardware power?

Good enough is not good enough.

That's really a rather dumb question. That's like asking if I'd like to drive a Tesla Model S P100 for the price of a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Of course, who wouldn't?

However that is not reality. Reality is, I can drive a Ford Fusion Hybrid for $30,000 that'll ensure I can drive to work every day for about $25/week and still fit my entire family when needed. Sure it can't due 0 to 60 in a few seconds and still needs to go to a gas station, but it is good enough.

I bought many 3rd party games on my WiiU that looked prettier on the other consoles. Why? Because I could play on the gamepad and allow others to utilize the main TV. With Switch, not only is my TV freed up whenever it needs to be, but I can also play any game anywhere and now the graphical differences are even less (especially when playing on the smaller screen).

Good enough is an actual fact of life. It is the reason why so many "lesser" products outsell the premier of any given market. 

Last edited by superchunk - on 24 November 2017

superchunk said:

RE: https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/22/16689870/nintendo-skyrim-doom-rocket-league-graphics

I found this to be an interesting article that was calling out how Switch is proving that graphics are not the driver of success. Games with superior graphical versions on other consoles are selling exceptionally well because frankly, Switch versions are good enough when combined with the awesomeness of the portability the console provides.

Though, I am curious what they are basing the sales data on as they have many titles selling better than SMO which is inaccurate as far as I know.

Here's an interesting quote as an example of the main point of the article:

Rocket League is an ideal Switch port. The resolution is limited, and there isn’t much in the way of aliasing. The team made graphical sacrifices to make sure the game ran at 60 fps, and it was the right decision. The game feels amazing in action, and the bright colors of both teams and the ball itself makes the action easy to follow even if the graphical fidelity is lacking a bit when compared to more powerful systems. You can tell it doesn’t look as good as other versions of the game, but you can play it in the bathroom. The rest is meaningless.

I completely agree. I could care less that I could play a similar game with potentially better frame rate and definitely better graphical detail... the ability to plop on my bed, in a plane, or on the toilet and play that game is far more valuable.

Can't wait to see the game support in 2018.

Well, some of these advantages can be provided by tablets too, but a a hybrid console has many added benefits, portable games have on average higher quality than mobile ones, plus dedicated controls allow higher complexity, then, on top of all this, the hybrid allow to play, at a lower resolution, full home console games too, that would be out of typical target user tastes on a pure portable, and totally out of reach for mobiles, as lack of dedicated controls would force to consume an excessive part of the already limited screen space, not to mention the lack of control tactile feedback (unlike with haptic feedback on touchscreens, with true buttons and sticks, you actually have a tactile feedback alsop before pushing or mofing them, you got it as sooun as you correctly position your fingers on them, so you are always ready to react in the shortest time possible and with much lower control miss rate) that is essential on most of the more difficult or complex games. NS for all these purposes extended its capabilities enough in each field where each non-hybrid platform could excel, to be a jack of all trades that differently from most others has actually become a master of its own unique trade too. Extending them "enough" was enough, I totally agree, pushing graphics power too  much would have negatively affected price, power consumpion, heat generation, and battery autonomy, and possibly device weight too to try and counter the aforementioned drawbacks with a higher capacity battery, damaging the almost perfect (or "good enough"?) balance that's making it the best choice for a huge number of users.

PS: Last, but not least, on top of all this, NS adds Ninty exclusives, and that's not a small thing.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

By winning do you mean in terms of sales?