By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hawaii takes a stand against loot-boxes

In this case, I'm all for more regulation, at least for games not rated M. If adults want to flush their life savings away on lootboxes, then let them. However, minors are being given access to these exact same games, including Battlefront 2, which is only rated T. You don't let minors gamble in Vegas, so don't let them do it here. While I think lootboxes are slimy all around, marketing them to minors shouldn't even be legal.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
TallSilhouette said:
I'm glad this is getting attention stateside now, too. I was worried this would only get official attention overseas and the American establishments would ignore it for as long as possible. The sooner we can get something done about it, the better.

Loot boxes suck.  But, the way to get rid of them is to not purchase them.  They will absolutely go away if people don't buy them.  

Getting government involved is exactly the wrong way to go about it.  We damn sure do not want government saying what can and cannot happen in games. 

But the problem is they're not going away. They're only getting worse because millions of people don't know any better or can't help themselves, and that's due in large part because of how manipulative they are, preying on addictive tendencies to extract as much cash as possible from vulnerable 'whales' without limit. Regulations already have a say in what content can be sold to who (like who can buy M rated games) and not without reason. I don't expect monetized loot boxes to be banned outright in most regions but will likely become part of either an M or AO rating depending on whether or not they are classified as full online gambling or some lesser but similar class (an AO rating might as well be a ban to these publishers, though).

TallSilhouette said:
VAMatt said:

Loot boxes suck.  But, the way to get rid of them is to not purchase them.  They will absolutely go away if people don't buy them.  

Getting government involved is exactly the wrong way to go about it.  We damn sure do not want government saying what can and cannot happen in games. 

But the problem is they're not going away. They're only getting worse because millions of people don't know any better or can't help themselves, and that's due in large part because of how manipulative they are, preying on addictive tendencies to extract as much cash as possible from vulnerable 'whales' without limit. Regulations already have a say in what content can be sold to who (like who can buy M rated games) and not without reason. I don't expect monetized loot boxes to be banned outright in most regions but will likely become part of either an M or AO rating depending on whether or not they are classified as full online gambling or some lesser but similar class (an AO rating might as well be a ban to these publishers, though).

Video game ratings, at least in the US, are not enforced by law.  In the USA, there are no legal restrictions on video game content.  I hope like hell that there never are.  Government messes up everything it touches.  

VAMatt said:
TallSilhouette said:

Video game ratings, at least in the US, are not enforced by law.  In the USA, there are no legal restrictions on video game content.  I hope like hell that there never are.  Government messes up everything it touches.  

Gambling restrictions, however, are.

I don't really care since this is multiplayer game I just can't see this taking off with the whole gamble angle. It's practically opening a can of worms that could hurt other businesses. I think the best solution is not to buy a game with this kind of monetary set-up so EA would think other wise. I'm actually in for it if it means developers gets sustainable income but not like what EA has done. It would mean better games if devs are happier and more productive as long as they find the balance of monetizing games with AAA price tag. We have to remember... Sadly... Gamers are entitled. Inflation has caught up and work in AAA gaming is just not feasible if everyone is demanding everything that is expensive and time consuming to develop.

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
StarOcean said:
Man, I hope this causes EA to lose their Star Wars license. The talentless bastards at Dice never should have had their hands on the IP to begin with

Don't blame DICE, blame EA. Dice isn't talentless, they have quite a few great games under their belt (battlefield bad company 1&2, mirrors edge, battlefield 1).

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is honestly a great looking game, and you can clearly tell they put their heart and soul into this. It's the publisher's interference that's totally sours the experience.

It's inferior to the Battlefront from over 10yrs ago. Their heart and soul can shine a turd but that's all they're good for

if they ban lootboxes that would open up a huge rabbit hole. Then baseball cards, pokemon, basically any product with a random aspect would be open game.

I do not get the argument that gambling is available to kids. That should be up to the parents and since kids do not have any expendable income... it kinda already is.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

StarOcean said:
flashfire926 said:

Don't blame DICE, blame EA. Dice isn't talentless, they have quite a few great games under their belt (battlefield bad company 1&2, mirrors edge, battlefield 1).

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is honestly a great looking game, and you can clearly tell they put their heart and soul into this. It's the publisher's interference that's totally sours the experience.

It's inferior to the Battlefront from over 10yrs ago. Their heart and soul can shine a turd but that's all they're good for

Have you played the game?

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

jason1637 said:
Gamers shouldn't get the government involved in this. They should just ignore buying or supporting lootboxes and let publishers know they don't want lootboxes. The thing is that the vocal minority are the ones opposed to loot boxes. Even if they get banned publishers will find other ways to monetize their games, VIP passes, more paid dlc etc.

Right.  This is a no brainer.  Don't buy them, and they'll go away.  I don't understand why someone would ask government to regulate art.

jason1637 said: 
Gamers shouldn't get the government involved in this. They should just ignore buying or supporting lootboxes and let publishers know they don't want lootboxes. The thing is that the vocal minority are the ones opposed to loot boxes. Even if they get banned publishers will find other ways to monetize their games, VIP passes, more paid dlc etc.
Mr Puggsly said:
I say developers should do what they want and see how many gamers follow them.

There has been a backlash and results even without government stepping in.

Thats what the ESRB is for, which is a private non profit cartel , it was found by these companies for self regulation in the first place. The ESRB failed to regulate the madness and didnt step in when people demanded it. Thats why the government is and has to be involved.

Barkley said:
As long as this backlash doesn't start affecting games with lootboxes that don't suck. Overwatch for example.

So Overwatch having looboxes is okay but it isnt for EA? They should also get punished and force them to use the currency only, i dont see how that would be bad for the game and especially for gamers?