By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK software sales - November 12th - November 18th, 2017

It's hard to understate how poorly the Switch does in the UK. Maybe if it continues to blow Sony away in Japan and take months in North America, we will start to see a few third party exclusives to force peoples hands in the countries were it just isn't clicking.

The portability of the Switch is quickly making it one of my favorite consoles ever.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:

its at number 12 guys

That's an absolutely poor performance. Maybe this will make Sony wonder if there's something wrong with Polyphony. Or at least it could show them that people want a real GT7, preferably before PS5 launches.

It has been 4 freaking years after GT6 and the best they can come up with is an always-online spin-off with no real single player content.

torok said:
bananaking21 said:

its at number 12 guys

That's an absolutely poor performance. Maybe this will make Sony wonder if there's something wrong with Polyphony. Or at least it could show them that people want a real GT7, preferably before PS5 launches.

It has been 4 freaking years after GT6 and the best they can come up with is an always-online spin-off with no real single player content.

I've said it all along but this is a glorified prologue. I'm almost certain they're developing a GT7. It will probably release on ps4 in its last year and then they will upgrade it for the ps5.

VGPolyglot said:

That's dreadful. Accounting for the digital rise that still has to be down on the original.

Yes, even  a sharp increase on digital sales would probably not even manage to decrease the gap to 40%. I also do hope BF2 has the same legs of BF1 (that means, sales fall from a cliff after the Star Wars film hype ends).

It will still sell good numbers, but if it loses 4 or 5 million sales when compared to BF1, it could mean that adding loot boxes can't offset the decrease in the profit from game sales itself.

On a side note, I've read that the decision to remove the microtransactions wasn't from EA, but a demand from Disney. They are usually quite protective of their IPs and we also had reports confirming this behavior from the guys from Visceral, saying that when you do a Star Wars game everything has to go through Disney's executives since they want to check if someone will screw the IP.

And to finish the problem, we also have the Belgium government considering rule loot boxes as gambling, which would basically screw every game using it.

Ka-pi96 said:
Mar1217 said:

Might have been surprising if we weren't talking about the Switch in the UK

And the VR version for PS4?

Rather than persisting with the false "UK hates Nintendo" narrative, I think suggesting people aren't likely to re-buy (or re-re-buy) games that have already been released multiple times across a huge number of systems is a more accurate reason for Skyrim's poor chart performance.

The game has been out for years elsewhere, and it constantly gets discounts, so the full price version is obviously at a disadvantage. Just wait for the price to go down a bit, and the sales will improve quite a lot. It's a game with legs.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

I've said it all along but this is a glorified prologue. I'm almost certain they're developing a GT7. It will probably release on ps4 in its last year and then they will upgrade it for the ps5.

At least with the prologue you do know it's just a paid demo. It also was 40 bucks. And it also released much earlier in the lifecycle of PS3 and PS2. Having a real GT game only close to PS5 would be pathetic, specially because the other gen would arrive and even a PS5 remaster would look unimpressive.

Polyphony used to stand for its excellency. Now they stand out for not being able to release games and for poor critical reception. I'm a huge, huge fan and seeing they walking towards a slow and painful demise is heartbreaking.

Darwinianevolution said:
Ka-pi96 said:

And the VR version for PS4?

Rather than persisting with the false "UK hates Nintendo" narrative, I think suggesting people aren't likely to re-buy (or re-re-buy) games that have already been released multiple times across a huge number of systems is a more accurate reason for Skyrim's poor chart performance.

The game has been out for years elsewhere, and it constantly gets discounts, so the full price version is obviously at a disadvantage. Just wait for the price to go down a bit, and the sales will improve quite a lot. It's a game with legs.

The PSVR version is a full price release.

Barkley said:
Darwinianevolution said:

It's cheaper than the Switch version tho. And Skyrim VR was bundled with PSVR (but I doubt that made a big, if any, difference).

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Barkley said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Yes, and it will still do better once the discounts start arriving. To be fair, it's quite a surprise that the VR version is so many points higher than the Switch, but considering the Switch is still not that popular over there, and that there aren't that many major VR releases, it makes sense. I mean, PS Virtual Worlds is just below Skyrim VR and a couple of points above Skyrim Switch, so thathas to mean the Skyrim VR release moved a decent amount of hardware.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Slarvax said:
Barkley said:

It's cheaper than the Switch version tho. And Skyrim VR was bundled with PSVR (but I doubt that made a big, if any, difference).

Good point actually, judging by PSVR Worlds charting a lot of VR bundles were sold this week.