By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 35th Golden Joystick Awards 2017 - Zelda: BotW receives Ultimate Game of the Year Award

Do you agree to the winners of these awards?

Yes 27 58.70%

No 6 13.04%

I have my own list (but still agree) 12 26.09%

I have my own list (and don't agree) 1 2.17%

Total:46

Zelda and Nintendo Dominating! Expect to see more you salty gamers xD

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Jranation said:
Zelda and Nintendo Dominating! Expect to see more you salty gamers xD

Woah, too much? lol first sentence is fine enough .

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

I strongly disagree with some of this (Zelda for Audio, Horizon for Story, and Friday the 13th for indies), but all in all it's a fairly predictable list. Congrats to Zelda and EPD for taking the top spot!

mZuzek said:
Kjartan said:

I didn't say it's not good, I don't mind how minimalist it is but I definitely believe more could have been done, it's overall quite lazy. A lot of other games deserve this award.

My point is that it isn't lazy at all. The sound design in general is fantastic, the way each the environment always sounds alive and realistic, the way each enemy makes distinct and believable noises, etc.

Soundtrack isn't everything. Regardless, I'd hardly say it's a lazy soundtrack either, just because there's no overworld theme doesn't mean it's bad. Minimalistic, a bit maybe, but there's plenty of catchy songs and just overall good songs all around.

I was talking about the sound design, that's where more could have been done such as noises from the sea, birds or even from Link himself (being cold or too hot).

NNID/PSN: Kung_Kjartan

I can see why Zelda's title is Ultimate. It looks like it took most of the awards it was nominated for. I do feel it's my GOTY this year as well.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

I feel kind of sad since Horizon zero dawn is so damn good. The visuals make you feel like you're watching a movie. A shame BotW overshadowed it. Feel like it would'be been GOTY in 2016

Ashly Burch winning those awards is spot on.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I'm satisfied with these choices. Zelda is mindblowing and Cuphead is one of my favorites of the year. The visuals are astounding.

Bristow9091 said:
PAOerfulone said:

That was the point.

But yeah, there are other games this year that I would pick for better audio before Zelda.

Oh I'm not bashing it or anything, just saying that the soundtrack didn't really stand out to me since it was quiet for the most part. Can't really say what I'd pick for best audio though since I'm still not caught up with my backlog, currently playing 2015-2016 games, lol. 

Agreed, sick of these games that have almost no standout tracks winning best audio or ost.  There should be two categories for this but if we’re combining both the soundtrack is far more important.  Most games these days unfortunately have forgettable soundtracks.Its been a horrible trend since around 2010. It’s also easy af to make pure atmosperical minimalistic tracks in comparison to melodic or progressive songs.  

Edit: not saying games can’t be pleasantly immersive or anything with a minimalist ost, but even using the old “but those other games like p5 and nier have that same old jrpg style of tracks” isn’t a good point against the quality of their respective songs. 

If the songs fit in their world very well alongside yourself wanting to listen to their tracks outside the game then you have yourself a great ost.  The more variety plus quality the better too.

Last edited by LMU Uncle Alfred - on 18 November 2017

Lube Me Up

That's nice, definitely a great game

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]