By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DigitalFoundry: Skyrim for Switch

quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

He didn't wrote that's game closer to the last gen versions of game.

Basically they said on start of video that this is remastered special edition of game. Not to mention that game runs at 900p and almost locked 30 FPS, while last gen version run at 720p and terrible frame rate.

its much better then the last gen versions, just seems more like a upgraded lastgen version to me based on the DF video, since it's missing most of the things that made the special edition special in the first place, it's one ugly dated looking game regardless, but a very good port, considering the hardware. 

Remaster/Special version is basically upgraded last gen version. :)

Switch version missing some of things of PS4 version, but in any case its closer to PS4 version of game. But I agree, thats very good port in any case.

Around the Network
quickrick said:
Actually its closer to the lastgen versions, this is what John from DF had to say. its still a great port IMO.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/1029589/

"Skyrim turned out great, I agree, but it's ultimately just a remaster of a last gen game. The Switch version loses some of the biggest changes too (namely, volumetrics and distant foliage) but still looks great.

Doom suffered a lot more with massive cutbacks and less than half the frame-rate. What concerns me there is that Doom was a 1080p60 game on a standard PS4. What if you have a 1080p30 game that pushes the system even harder? I can't imagine that we'd see something like Assassin's Creed Origins running on Switch - I just don't think it would be possible."

I don't think he's saying it's closer to the last gen version (seems to vary quite a bit, but i'd say it averages around the middle ground), just that the port benefits from the game still effectively being a 7th gen title. That gives them a lot of freedom to adapt or remove the upgraded elements from the special edition as needed.

The second point is something i actually brought up on VGC before we knew much of anything about Doom. I said that if a 1080p/60fps PS4 title was only 720p/30fps on the Switch (ended up being 600p~/20-30fps), it'd bring into question the viability of the PS4 and X1's more technically competitive 30fps titles.

Zekkyou said:
quickrick said:
Actually its closer to the lastgen versions, this is what John from DF had to say. its still a great port IMO.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/1029589/

"Skyrim turned out great, I agree, but it's ultimately just a remaster of a last gen game. The Switch version loses some of the biggest changes too (namely, volumetrics and distant foliage) but still looks great.

Doom suffered a lot more with massive cutbacks and less than half the frame-rate. What concerns me there is that Doom was a 1080p60 game on a standard PS4. What if you have a 1080p30 game that pushes the system even harder? I can't imagine that we'd see something like Assassin's Creed Origins running on Switch - I just don't think it would be possible."

I don't think he's saying it's closer to the last gen version (seems to vary quite a bit, but i'd say it averages around the middle ground), just that the port benefits from the game still effectively being a 7th gen title. That gives them a lot of freedom to adapt or remove the upgraded elements from the special edition as needed.

The second point is something i actually brought up on VGC before we knew much of anything about Doom. I said that if a 1080p/60fps PS4 title was only 720p/30fps on the Switch (ended up being 600p~/20-30fps), it'd bring into question the viability of the PS4 and X1's more technically competitive 30fps titles.

i guess it depends where you look sometimes it closer to lastgen, compared to ps4, sometimes, closer, not counting 900p/solid 30fps.

Definitely a high quality port, is gonna sell very well.

Seems a competent enough port; rock solid 30fps alone is a massive improvement over the choppy last gen versions, and having a game this massive on a handheld system is still rather novel.

Around the Network

there is no reason this game should not run full spec on the Switch... It is a 6 year old game...

I wont be getting it though... I have already bought the damn game 3 times (PS3, PC, and HD version for PS4) so I feel confident I am done with this game.

I like the switch having it though. I am always happy when people have more options.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

So I've been playing it all day and it's amazing. I didn't know what I was missing out on! If only I'd known it wasn't first person the whole time, back when it was originally released. My whole life might be different right now.

Sucks that it doesn't support mods, though. I look at what people have created on other consoles and then, I look at my created character. She looks hideous in comparison!

bigjon said:
there is no reason this game should not run full spec on the Switch... It is a 6 year old game...

This isn't the 6 year old version of it though, it's based on the visually enhanced Special Edition.

curl-6 said:
bigjon said:

This isn't the 6 year old version of it though, it's based on the visually enhanced Special Edition.

Even it's based off the enhanced version, it removes  the most demanding aspects. aside from the better color palette, better textures, high resolution, stable frame rate, it looks like the old versions. because of the loss of volumetrics and distant foliage which were the biggets changes  tot he enhanced version.

quickrick said:

curl-6 said:

Even it's based off the enhanced version, it removes  the most demanding aspects. aside from the better color palette, better textures, high resolution, stable frame rate, it looks like the old versions. because of the loss of volumetrics and distant foliage which were the biggets changes  tot he enhanced version.

The Switch version still has more foliage and added detail over the last gen versions though. See the additional ferns and mushrooms here for instance:

It also uses the remastered water shaders.