By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Really gotta hand it to Microsoft

Errorist76 said:
d21lewis said:

How so?

By not supporting their first 500$ machine with new and interesting games, over the last few years in the first place... and now expecting them to shell out another 500$ after just 4 years, just to not feel left behind.. and, of course,  in order to play 3rd party and their old games better.

That doesn't embarrass me in any way, shape, or form. It's not like there's a lack of games to play, games that take advantage of the hardware, or games I'm looking forward to in the future. I mean, I have a PS4 Pro and still own over 200 games on my Xbox One(s). It's not too bad over here in Xbox country.

*shrugs*

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Errorist76 said:

By not supporting their first 500$ machine with new and interesting games, over the last few years in the first place... and now expecting them to shell out another 500$ after just 4 years, just to not feel left behind.. and, of course,  in order to play 3rd party and their old games better.

That doesn't embarrass me in any way, shape, or form. It's not like there's a lack of games to play, games that take advantage of the hardware, or games I'm looking forward to in the future. I mean, I have a PS4 Pro and still own over 200 games on my Xbox One(s). It's not too bad over here in Xbox country.

*shrugs*

I know that my opinion surely isn't universal and that there might be a number of people who indeed shrug and say they don't care, but I know for sure there are a lot of people who feel exactly like I described it.

It for sure is an interesting proposition for someone deeply invested in the MS universe, as long as he/she is fine with the above mentioned problems.

If someone isn't, I doubt it's gonna change many minds. I even think the Switch is a bigger competitor than PS4/Pro ever will be.

Errorist76 said:

Gotta give it to them...They’d definitely know how to embarrass their early customers. 

'They' being who?

DonFerrari said:

And in the case of X1X considering people is saying it is very quite, doesn't consume excessive energy or heat a lot it is possible that they could even push the clockrate a little more?

Yeah. Goes without saying they could have pushed the clocks up more.
If I could overclock it myself, I would. :P

The box does use a fair bit of power and make allot of heat... But it removes that heat so effectively... Which is expected as the cooler it is using is based on PC GPU coolers which are handling heat loads that are twice the Xbox One X.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

And in the case of X1X considering people is saying it is very quite, doesn't consume excessive energy or heat a lot it is possible that they could even push the clockrate a little more?

Yeah. Goes without saying they could have pushed the clocks up more.
If I could overclock it myself, I would. :P

The box does use a fair bit of power and make allot of heat... But it removes that heat so effectively... Which is expected as the cooler it is using is based on PC GPU coolers which are handling heat loads that are twice the Xbox One X.

Well, but then reliability comes in hand (besides die success ratio being higher if push the envelope less) and that is probably why they kept on safe range.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes, there isn't much excuse for Sony decision. What we can look at are "justifications". As put, it could increase cost a little, it could compete with their premium 4kBD players, there is few discs being sold, vg market isn't really caring about it, etc... all summed made Sony deciding to not include it so far.

Ultimately though people will vote with their wallets, for most people... The lack of 4k Blu-Ray isn't a factor in their purchasing decisions if the Playstation 4 and Xbox One S sales rate is anything to judge by.

Doesn't mean it's not a nice feature to have though.

Pemalite said: 

Considering that there are some BDXL Blu-Ray rom drives on the PC that aren't really that much more expensive than the "regular" version... The cost argument thus becomes tenuous at best as 4k Blu-Ray isn't a massive departure from that.

Besides... If the Xbox One S includes one and still sells for under $300 AUD, I'm sure it's more than feasible for a device that is $450-$500 AUD.

Regardless. Sony could have sold the Playstation 4 Pro with a 500GB Hard Drive and a 4k Blu-Ray drive. Then sold a 1/2 Terabyte variation for $50 more as a higher priced tier.

PS could have found a way to include it in Pro, or just had another Pro 'Cinema Edition' or something like that for $499 with the 4k BD drive. Seems like they didn't want to have too many consoles on the market, or didn't want to mess with their dedicated 4k BD player sales. Decisions, decisions. Who knows, maybe when Pro hits $299, PS just may launch another Pro model with 4k BD for $399.  $199 PS4, $299 Pro, $399 Pro CE.

Pemalite said: 

You know, I wouldn't actually be against the Xbox One and Playstation 4 coming with a version without a hard drive, some people are going to expand the storage either way so bundling one is pointless for those people.

Heck, they could also release a version that is without an optical disk as well... As some people have already transitioned to a 100% digital world.

More choice isn't a bad thing in my eyes.

I would be all for a console with an empty mass storage device slot, or no slot at all and just external USB. A hidden slot like the PS4 has is nicer though, but 3.5" drive size would be needed for enough space without having to add external.

Some people disappointed that they can't get PS4/Pro with a 4k BD drive, some disappointed they can't get a PS4/Pro without an optical drive. lol. PS could probably make 10 different versions and they still wouldn't make everyone happy. It would be much more of a hassle, but I wonder if it would really end up selling that many more consoles overall? With even lower, medium, and higher prices, it just might work, but would it be worth it?

I don't like no choice, but too much choice isn't good either. Just enough choice isn't an easy balance to find though.