By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - L.A Noire Requires You To Download 14 GB Data Despite Physical Disc On Xbox One

killeryoshis said:
How can you save money by not putting all the data on the Disc? Were they planning to ship it with a 5gb disc and Microsoft said no? Are they so cheap that a cheap Blu-ray disc was too expensive?

Aren't all BluRay discs the same size though, assuming they have the default amount of layers? If this is really to save a few coins, how much cheaper can you get?

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
killeryoshis said:
How can you save money by not putting all the data on the Disc? Were they planning to ship it with a 5gb disc and Microsoft said no? Are they so cheap that a cheap Blu-ray disc was too expensive?

Aren't all BluRay discs the same size though, assuming they have the default amount of layers? If this is really to save a few coins, how much cheaper can you get?

There are 25GB and 50GB discs. I don't understand why they didn't fit it all on the disc, but what I do know is that this is not a Switch-exclusive issue, so something else is at play here.

I think they went with DVD to lower the cost even more, that's why it has only 4GB on disc

IsaqueNilton said:
I think they went with DVD to lower the cost even more, that's why it has only 4GB on disc

That could even fit on a single-layer DVD

The prices of those memory cards are getting so low that Nintendo really ought to bite the bullet and just offer the system with more storage packed in, especially now that they know it's a success that's selling as well as they could possibly have hoped for.

Even just an extra 64gb would be SOMETHING; just at least enough to avoid the "you can't play this game without buying extra memory" headlines every time a game is ported over heh

I love Nintendo and lord knows their business practices have helped them stay afloat and secure for ages, but sometimes they can be unreasonably cheap.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
The prices of those memory cards are getting so low that Nintendo really ought to bite the bullet and just offer the system with more storage packed in, especially now that they know it's a success that's selling as well as they could possibly have hoped for.

Even just an extra 64gb would be SOMETHING; just at least enough to avoid the "you can't play this game without buying extra memory" headlines every time a game is ported over heh

I love Nintendo and lord knows their business practices have helped them stay afloat and secure for ages, but sometimes they can be unreasonably cheap.

This is about the Xbox version though

Wow, I hope this doesn't become standard practice. Who sells only a part of a game and requires you to dl the rest of it yourself in order to play it? That just sounds real scummy.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

14GB isn't that the standard day 1 patch nowadays.

When I bought Syberia 3, the whole game was on the disc. However then it had a day 1 patch, which was the whole game again. That's not a patch, so lazy.

Goodnightmoon said:
Johnw1104 said:

This is about the Xbox version though

I know, but he brought up the Switch version. This Xbox 1 version really doesn't make a lick of sense... it should fit on the disk just fine.

That's kinda bizarre. For a last-gen game, remaster or not, it's weird that most of the data isn't necessarily all in the disk. I kinda get the Switch cartridge stuff, but Xbox One? Hmm...