By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What does MS need to do?

@TheRealMafoo , Source ?

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
FaRmLaNd said:
Business decisions aren't made out of spite. Sony will let the next xbox have BR built in.

It's not spite, it's money. If MS is there biggest threat next generation, you bet your ass they will do one of two things. Fight it being in there, or charge enough money for the license to put games on the disks, and make up the profit.

One thing you're missing. Not only would Sony be treading on very treacherous legal ground if they tried that but MS could simply say "fuck you, Sony" and yank all Windows licenses from Sony's computer division, which would absolutely annihilate an entire division of the company.

In any case, none of this will happen. Sony will charge MS the standard licensing rate and everything will keep on truckin' along. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

TheRealMafoo said:
Qly said:
They need to stop copying everything they see that works

That's all that MS has ever done, and it's made them the most profitable company in the world. Why would they stop now?

Because as slow as people are, they are finally beginning to realize, firefox, linux, iPod, wii.. these are signs, the future is coming and we are its owners, not some rich geek with a bad haircut

Listen to the voice of reason, then do as I say.

Qly said:

I though this thread was about MS and not Sony.

Million said:
@TheRealMafoo , Source ?

This article says 30% 

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9874317-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

I closed down the others, but I went to http://forum.blu-ray.com/ and some posts there were saying 20%.

It seems that the association has not been collecting on its royalties (probably to compete with HD-DVD), so until each company has to report on it's profits from those royalties, no one knows how much is really owned by who.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Qly said:

Sorry, but I have actually lost all the little respect I had for Microsoft with the "Newton"... seriously, no self respect, not a little bit of dignity, sad, so sad

TheRealMafoo said:
FaRmLaNd said:
Business decisions aren't made out of spite. Sony will let the next xbox have BR built in.

It's not spite, it's money. If MS is there biggest threat next generation, you bet your ass they will do one of two things. Fight it being in there, or charge enough money for the license to put games on the disks, and make up the profit.

My guess is they will want something in the range of what MS would make off of each game, and MS will not go for that.

As for the anti-trust, so far Sony has not licensed BD to any companies for the purpose of distributing games. Keeping MS from doing the same thing is not any different.

I am not saying this is how it's going to go down, I am just sating it's not a 100% given that the next xbox will have a Blu-ray drive in it.

The full licensee list is here:

http://www.blu-raydisc.info/flla_licensee_lists_ROM2.php

Theres no way that the Association will allow a higher fee for one particular company, let alone ask for a commission fee. Once you pay the annual fee and secure a contract of a manufacturer, thats it. Intel is also on this list, along with some companies that have been rumoured to be producing BD for 360. 

Yes its not 100% that BD will be on the next Xbox only because of MS decisions, definitely not Sonys decision. 

Qly said:
Darc Requiem said:
Qly said:

Sorry, but I have actually lost all the little respect I had for Microsoft with the "Newton"... seriously, no self respect, not a little bit of dignity, sad, so sad

Is that confirmed, i heard only rumors/? HAs MS stateds they will release it?

Mil. Sellers:

Wii:      25 titles       101.4 mil total    avg 4 mil per title

PS3:     14 titles      28.6 mil total    avg ~2 mil per title

360:     41 titles      89.8 mil total   avg  >2 mil per title

Qly said:
Darc Requiem said:
Qly said:

I did that when they ripped off Apple. (I'm old :p). I also used to use the GEM desktop, a far better GUI that sat over DOS, and saw Windows destroy it with there marketing machine. That's actually just good business, I just hated being forced to use a horrible replica of something that worked well.

I don't mind companies stealing other peoples idea's really. I am a consumer, and as a consumer I just want more and better. If MS can rip off the Wiimote and make it more fun to use, what the hell do I care? 

What I hate (and MS seems to do this of late), is steal an idea, make it worse, and sell the shit out of it.

If you make it better (Excel, Exchange Server, .NET), great! If it sucks compared to what you ripped off (Word, IE, Vista), then I hate it.

The 360 has actually been a great product from MS, I just wish they could make it reliable. 

If the next xbox rips off every cool feature from Sony and Nintendo, improves upon it, and puts it in a form factor I can get behind (one that does not break), I will buy one on launch day.

Like I said, as a consumer, I win. 

MaximusOptimus said:
Qly said:
Darc Requiem said:
Qly said:

Is that confirmed, i heard only rumors/? HAs MS stateds they will release it?

Yeah, you;re right, I shouldn't jump to conclusions it's still only rumour (altough coming from all sides now)... I agree I might be overeacting