By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 8GB RAM vs 16 GB RAM?

Tagged games:

Farsala said:

Even if the only 1060 in my price range is a Dell computer?

I don't really trust Dell and a few other manufacturers, but maybe their brands have improved.

Do you have a link to that Dell?

Personally I like prebuilts although I have always built myself, but I like them cos engineers work on them and they are tested thoroughly, and they usually have reserved but elegant cases.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
Farsala said:

Intel Core i5-7300HQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.50 GHz) or 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor (2.80GHz 6MB).

And as you say earlier it is between the Geforce 1050ti and AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB.

I also found out I might be able to buy certain computers for 10-15% off. But I can't find any decent 1060s other then Dells.

Oh it's a laptop.
I wouldn't get anything less than a 6-core CPU as we enter into 2018 if it was a Desktop to be honest.

But a notebook with that i5, 8GB of Ram and a 1050Ti is still a potent beast all things considered.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

m0ney said:
Farsala said:

Even if the only 1060 in my price range is a Dell computer?

I don't really trust Dell and a few other manufacturers, but maybe their brands have improved.

Do you have a link to that Dell?

Personally I like prebuilts although I have always built myself, but I like them cos engineers work on them and they are tested thoroughly, and they usually have reserved but elegant cases.

Not sure if you will see anything but. http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/fndnfs611h

It has a 1060 for $950. I think I can get it 10% off by being a student for $855.

Last edited by Farsala - on 13 November 2017

I'd go with 16GB, just to make it a bit more future-proof.

Farsala said:

Not sure if you will see anything but. http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/fndnfs611h

It has a 1060 for $950. I think I can get it 10% off by being a student for $855.

For 855$ I guess it's a great deal. You would need an external hard drive for games thou.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

wait you were talking about a notebook all the time? well too bad. I don't know prices on notebooks. but on a desktop getting 8gb instead of 16gb would save you enough to upgrade from a 1050 to a 1060 and that would be a huge difference. I have a 6 years computer with a 1060 and everything runs smooth, I recently upgraded from 8gb ddr3 to 16gb (used ram for 20€) .. my computer uses more ram yes, but I don't see any improvement because it was smooth before. half year ago I upgraded from a r9 280x (which is roughly as good as a 1050 ti) and that upgrade was huge.

edit: again if you were talking about a notebook all the time. a 960m is much worse than a desktop 960. but a mobile 1060 is almost as good as a desktop one.

8GB is enough for gaming, the GPU RAM is more important.

The new CoD WW2 after 1h playtime on max settings at 1080p already used 10.5GB RAM from my 16GB. It went over 11GB after a few more hours. A few other games i played in the last few months barely touch 6-7gb.

Seems like the Dell I linked earlier is ideal due to the 1060 and 10% student discount. The RAM if needed can be upgraded later for a christmas present or something.

CPU is decent.

Definitely need more HDD.

Battery usage is apparently top class.

Only concerns now is overheating, but with mediocre games and a 1060 I hope it won't be stressed.

m0ney said:
Farsala said:

Sorry my knowledge of GPUs is very minimal.

What I meant to say is 1050ti vs 950/960. Much better then 950, and much better cost efficiency then 960.

I also learned that the 1050ti is a 4gb card and not a 2gb.

If you could get 1060 that would be huge gain, it is 60% more powerful than 960 and can run all games on max at 1080p. I regret not upgrading before the mining craze started. I have 960 2gb, it plays all games fine on High to Very High. Now I'm playing Batman Arkham Origins on max, except the Nvidia Physics setting is to Medium, the game looks glorious and average framerate is around 50.

@Farsala Go 16 GB. If you have a game running while, say you were browsing VGchartz, your system will need more than 8 GB of RAM, and system requirements are only going to go up. If you build, you can get a 7600K and 16 GB of RAM and a decent motherboard for 800 CAD. I don't know where you live, so prices may vary. Do you have a PSU/Case? If you do, building is a much better, cheaper offer, esp if you live in the States. Computer parts are generally much cheaper there. I looked it up, and the GTX 1060 is $249 USD. The Intel i5 is also $249, an ASUS Z270-A (MB I got) is only $179 and 16 GB of 2400 RAM is about $190. What's your budget? I got $870 between all the components I mentioned. If it doesn't have to be a laptop, you can get a much better desktop for the same price.

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos