By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 8GB RAM vs 16 GB RAM?

Tagged games:

If you're strapped for cash, I don't think a gaming laptop should be what you're looking at.

Perhaps a cheapo laptop for classes and a decent desktop at home would do the trick for nearly the same amount you'd spend on a gaming laptop.

Just for your consideration as you may have specific circumstances that don't allow such solution

Around the Network

I have 8 gig ddr3 and it seems I should buy more because sometimes for no reason firefox will eat about 5 or 6 gigs of rams when I have a flash application running, it's so annoying

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Kerozinn said:
Farsala said:
As for the 1060 6gb, it is a little confusing. But according to some sites it is 3.85Tflop to 4.4Tflop. Only I have the laptop version, and they say it is 1%-16% slower then the desktop version at like 3.5Tflop at the lowest. Which isn't too bad for a laptop.

for comparison between 1060 and 1060m check this link 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-Laptop-Benchmarks-and-Specs.169547.0.html

Yes that's the exact article where I got my numbers lol. Notice the 1%-16% is the exact same.

setsunatenshi said:
If you're strapped for cash, I don't think a gaming laptop should be what you're looking at.

Perhaps a cheapo laptop for classes and a decent desktop at home would do the trick for nearly the same amount you'd spend on a gaming laptop.

Just for your consideration as you may have specific circumstances that don't allow such solution

I travel a lot and plan to travel a lot in the future so whether it be console or PC, they would be more annoying then a Laptop. Thus I need a gaming fix and so gaming laptop is the winner. I pack my current laptop at least 8 times a year, will be a lot more soon when I graduate. I also keep a cheap small tv for when I want to move that. Maybe in 5-15 years I can splurge on a nice Desktop and a massive tv.

And you might think if I am strapped for cash then why travel, it's just my personal priority lol.  In addition I am always looking for good deals on tickets far ahead of time.

Azzanation said:
16 gig is overkill. 8gig ddr3 or ddr4 is all you really need. 6gigs of GGDR5 ram if you can get it on your GPU is much prefered over the 3gig models.

I call BS. I am sitting at 6.8G used right now and I have Outlook and 4 tabs in chrome open. Granted this is a work PC i5 but still. My Laptop does about the same, both have 16GB.  16GB is minimum these days. 8GB is budget pc territory and no gaming.

Around the Network

Last edited by Raistline - on 15 November 2017

CGI-Quality said:

Indeed. Was just having this discussion a few days ago. The new emphasis on "but it has 'x' FLOPS" usually makes me realize just how much the marketing machines can sway people, even when they don't have the faintest idea what the purpose of Floating Point Performance really means.

But then, that's often the very purpose of marketing.

Indeed it is! But it does make my job harder as I need to correct people. Haha

darkrulier said:

McDonaldsGuy, your statement is incorrect, speed in RAM is not as important, you only get marginal benefits from faster RAM or XMP overclocked RAM's. This to me is another marketing thing from manufacturers to make us pay more. If you don't believe me just check this Linus video explaining it with benchmarks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk

Ram speed has always been important.

The issue in the past is that we were often GPU bound and not CPU bound, it's shifted in reverse in recent years... And now that there is a greater emphasis on the CPU, Ram speeds can and will show it's benefits. Up to a point.
And I do reinforce the "up to a point". - Once you shift past the ram price/performance sweet spot, then the returns start to diminish.

AMD's Ryzen and IGP's also tend to be in love with Ram speed.

Superman4 said:
Azzanation said:
16 gig is overkill. 8gig ddr3 or ddr4 is all you really need. 6gigs of GGDR5 ram if you can get it on your GPU is much prefered over the 3gig models.

I call BS. I am sitting at 6.8G used right now and I have Outlook and 4 tabs in chrome open. Granted this is a work PC i5 but still. My Laptop does about the same, both have 16GB.  16GB is minimum these days. 8GB is budget pc territory and no gaming.

The more Ram you have... The more Windows will reserve for caching and background tasks. Ergo. The higher your memory consumption, Windows will also free said memory if the need arises.
8Gb is passable at the moment, provided you are conservative with the amount of applications you are running in the background.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

16gb absolutely not overkill. Games are already reaching 10-11gb ..and it wont get better in the coming years.

Pemalite said:
CGI-Quality said:

Indeed. Was just having this discussion a few days ago. The new emphasis on "but it has 'x' FLOPS" usually makes me realize just how much the marketing machines can sway people, even when they don't have the faintest idea what the purpose of Floating Point Performance really means.

But then, that's often the very purpose of marketing.

Indeed it is! But it does make my job harder as I need to correct people. Haha

darkrulier said:

McDonaldsGuy, your statement is incorrect, speed in RAM is not as important, you only get marginal benefits from faster RAM or XMP overclocked RAM's. This to me is another marketing thing from manufacturers to make us pay more. If you don't believe me just check this Linus video explaining it with benchmarks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk

Ram speed has always been important.

The issue in the past is that we were often GPU bound and not CPU bound, it's shifted in reverse in recent years... And now that there is a greater emphasis on the CPU, Ram speeds can and will show it's benefits. Up to a point.
And I do reinforce the "up to a point". - Once you shift past the ram price/performance sweet spot, then the returns start to diminish.

AMD's Ryzen and IGP's also tend to be in love with Ram speed.

Superman4 said:

The more Ram you have... The more Windows will reserve for caching and background tasks. Ergo. The higher your memory consumption, Windows will also free said memory if the need arises.
8Gb is passable at the moment, provided you are conservative with the amount of applications you are running in the background.

Yes, it does allocate more ram however that stops it from going to your HDD as much for information which helps to speed things up.