By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Switch and Nintendo hardware

I used to think that 80m was the Switch's minimum for its lifetime (3DS+WiiU+Vita) but I feel like raising that to 100m. With the momentum it has now, 80m would feel like Nintendo dropped the ball.

Last edited by wombat123 - on 12 November 2017

Around the Network
Jranation said:

I thought the 3DS was a success? Its on its way to 70mil. 

VGPolyglot said:

That's not how it works. That eliminates all context from the equation.

Everybody has a different criterion of "success" ... 

fatslob-:O said:
Jranation said:

I thought the 3DS was a success? Its on its way to 70mil. 

VGPolyglot said:

That's not how it works. That eliminates all context from the equation.

Everybody has a different criterion of "success" ... 

Yes, but the only one that matters are Nintendo's expectations for it.

VGPolyglot said:

Expectations =/= Success 

If they don't meet expectations and the system still manages to turn high profits they could still consider it a success ... 

fatslob-:O said:
VGPolyglot said:

Expectations =/= Success 

If they don't meet expectations and the system still manages to turn high profits they could still consider it a success ... 

OK, then we can say that only Nintendo's perception of what is a success matters.

Around the Network
quickrick said:
IkePoR said:
The gaming market is growing daily and the Switch is blazing hot with Nintendo chasing these third parties down to make their machine even more appealing. The indie scene is already great and one can only assume Nintendo's kicking out yen yen yen to get the thing promoted. I think it's very possible with their current efforts to hit between 70 and 90 million.

I see the Switch hitting 70m pretty solidly during the next 4.5 years. However, if Nintendo is to release a Switch 2, I can see the og Switch coasting to 80 during the first couple of years of Switch 2's cycle.

If the market is there however, and Nintendo has no inclination to proceed with the next console, I expect Switch to rumble into 90m pretty handily.

I see the market as shrinking for the big three. just look at the handheld market 230 milliom with psp and ds to 85 million with with vita, and 3DS. look at how bad xbone and wiiu did compared to there predecessor. switch will start off strong , but it will slow down next year hard, i also expect ps5 and the nextxbox to  struggle, especially the nextbox,probably there last console.  

Xbox one is only slightly behind 360 in the same point of their lifetimes. 

Also, I have a question: are you a PC gamer?

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
quickrick said:

I see the market as shrinking for the big three. just look at the handheld market 230 milliom with psp and ds to 85 million with with vita, and 3DS. look at how bad xbone and wiiu did compared to there predecessor. switch will start off strong , but it will slow down next year hard, i also expect ps5 and the nextxbox to  struggle, especially the nextbox,probably there last console.  

yea but xbone will lucky if it can sell 45 million, sales have slowed to a crawl.

not a pc gamer.

quickrick said:
flashfire926 said:

yea but xbone will lucky if it can sell 45 million, sales have slowed to a crawl.

not a pc gamer.

Please, don't question why I asked :P

Anyways, are you sure on it not reaching 45 mil? Let's do a bet

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

VGPolyglot said:

OK, then we can say that only Nintendo's perception of what is a success matters.

Except, OP asked from our perspective ... 

flashfire926 said:
quickrick said:

not a pc gamer.

Please, don't question why I asked :P

Anyways, are you sure on it not reaching 45 mil? Let's do a bet

ill bet it wont reach 50 million.