By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will Pokemon Switch be?

Pokemon GO has been a huge success financially, and culturally.
There is a chance that Game Freak could be modifying the Pokemon formula to rake in more cash with Pokemon Switch.

Game Freak is not a big studio, and it is surely a non trivial effort to produce a title almost every year.
I think there is a real chance that we could see Game Freak move the Pokemon series to a games as a service model.

Game Freak could either choose an expansion or microtransaction based model (or something else entirely).
In a expansion based model, Game Freak adds a new region, with a new story and we pay to add that to our version of the game.
A microtransaction based model could see us buying new gear and toys for our favorite Pokemon, to fund the addition of free content.
The increased power of the Switch, compared to the 3DS would allow Game Freak to make and use more modular assets, which would help them sell microtransactions.

Game Freak acquired Koa Games (a mobile studio) in 2015, and I don’t know of anything that has been released utilising Koa Games’ expertise...
Game Freak has seen how much money Pokemon GO brings in.
Get ready to pay up for some microtransactions.

Pokemon fans, are you willing to suffer microtransactions to reach the coveted: “all region Pokemon title”.
As a Pokemon fan, who found Sun & Moon’s player customisation, to be lacking: I, personally, would be willing to shovel out some cash to improve my trainer.
What do you want Pokemon Switch to be?

Around the Network

A main series Pokémon game just like any other... that's what I think at least, I don't see any reason to think anything else to be honest.

I hope it's based on like Italy or the UK.

Last edited by Green098 - on 11 November 2017

Green098 said:

A main series Pokémon game just like any other... that's what I think at least, I don't see any reason to think anything else to be honest.

Game Freak can only do so much in a year or two though, and the allure of infinite profits is surely tempting.

I do hope it is a complete, fulfilling experience.
If there are microtransactions, I would want them to add to the game.

It really depends on if it's a Pokemon MMO or not. The thing is, selling 12-15 million copies of Pokemon 3 times on a console(and maybe 6-8 million for a 4th pokemon on a console) is sooooo tempting and makes them a lot of money. Going for a title with microtransactions and expansions would make them focus on one title, maybbbbee two during the Switch's entire life, just to capitalize on one investment.

I don't know which would make more money, to be honest. What would probably make them the most money is releasing Pokemon games that are limited like the 3DS titles(not multiple regions, no MMO elements, limited scope), but have microtransactions. That could hurt the relevance of the franchise though.

BasilZero said:
caffeinade said:

Game Freak can only do so much in a year or two though, and the allure of infinite profits is surely tempting.

Do you work for Game Freak? Otherwise...I wouldnt say statements like that.

Also I dont expect microtransactions at all but pay to play online for online services I wouldnt be surprised.

I am just trying to be pragmatic.

Around the Network
Green098 said:

I think people underestimate how diverse one based on the US would be tbh.

caffeinade said:
Green098 said:

This game has likely been development since before Sun and Moon at the latest, development for X and Y started before the release of gen 5, there has been plenty of time. Even the USUM is separate small side team that was just whipped together to enhance on the original sun and moon assets.

I really, really, really doubt there will micro transactions, DLC maybe would be nice. But I don't think they're turning Pokémon into games as a service and making it one game with infinite regions. The levels can only go to 100. 

Wyrdness said:
Green098 said:

I think people underestimate how diverse one based on the US would be tbh.

They already made a region based on the US, the Unova region in Pokémon Black and White.

Ka-pi96 said:
Green098 said:

They already made a region based on the US, the Unova region in Pokémon Black and White.

Two, actually. With Alola being based on the US state of Hawaii

True, anyone up for a third? To be fair the first four games where all based on parts of Japan.

Gen 8 with HD graphics.

That is all.