By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 53 16.06%

NSW will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a huge margin 117 35.45%

Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 10 3.03%

Total:330
peachbuggy said:
quickrick said:

Biggest third party franchise on switch was fifa, and that bombed,next to bomb will be doom, and skyrim.

More wishful thinking,  methinks.

it's just bombed in the uk, and is number 77 in the amazon charts, i expect it to bomb, but nothing confirmed yet.

Around the Network

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

Sounds similar to Switch, we dont go a week without hearing about a 3rd party game doing well or a developer/publisher being happy with sales.

hyperbole to the max, only niche indie titles have done well, what third party game has crossed a million on switch, none. by this time ps4 had over  10.

Not really, like i said earlier Konami, Capcom, Take-Two, Square Enix, Namco, Koei Tecmo, Ubisoft, etc. have all commented on being happy with their games performance on Switch thus far.

Pretty much every developer/publisher who has released high quaity games on Switch has been happy with their performance.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

quickrick said:

hyperbole to the max, only niche indie titles have done well, what third party game has crossed a million on switch, none. by this time ps4 had over  10.

Not really, like i said earlier Konami, Capcom, Take-Two, Square Enix, Namco, Koei Tecmo, Ubisoft, etc. have all commented on being happy with their games performance on Switch thus far.

Pretty much every developer/publisher who has released high quaity games on Switch has been happy with their performance.

none of those companies have released anything major, well i guess except for dragonball, nba 2k18,and fifa, we don't  know the sell numbers except for xenoverse  2 which as shipped 400k just recently, thats not amazing by any means, although its ok, fifa seems to have done bad, nba 2k18 they are pleased but no sales numbers. third party games are not whats selling the switch at the moment i think it's obvious by age group and the game that are selling nintendo fans are buying the system.

LOL. Lifetime sales? PS4 hands down. Nintendo will abandon the switch before the PS4 stops selling.

quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

This statement is wrong in every way, first Nintendo did not released all its big franchises, second Switch is not home console its a hybrid, and at end Switch will without problem surprise first year on market especially because most of first year Switch is supply constrained.

But you do realise that Switch most of this year (and still is Japan) was hevily suply contrained, you do realise that Switch isn't home console that is handheld in same time (hybrid), you do realise that Switch will have big system seller games in folowing years also, and you do realise that not only Nintendo fans are buying Switch and that with time more and more people that are not typical Nintendo fans will bouth Switch!?

until we see third party games start selling, i believe it's mostly nintendo fans buying, along with some core gamers, if it continues strong next year i'll happily eat crow.

You do realise that games like Zelda BotW, Mario Odyssey, MK8D and Splatoon2 can be also bouth buy people that are not Nintendo fans!? I mean even here on site you have people who are saying that Switch is their first Nintendo console ever and Zelda BotW or Mario Odyssey first Zelda or first 3D Mario game. And we actually last few weeks having 3rd parties saying they are satisfied with sales of their games on Switch and they promised more games.

You really don't make any sense.

quickrick said:
bluedawgs said:

Well not exactly, you hear about indie games that have the best selling SKU be on Switch, but we're talking about a couple thousand units. Mario + Rabbids is a big success yes, but thats all mario. Dragonball Xenoverse 2 has sold well as well, but again this SKU sold a couple hundred thousand units. The PS4 had wayyyy more games selling way more than any of these Switch games. Pretty much every game that launched for PS4 has sold at the very least a million. The Nintendo games have all sold multiple million units on Switch so far, while nothing else has passed a million or even gotten close at all. 

Biggest third party franchise on switch was fifa, and that bombed,next to bomb will be doom, and skyrim.

We dont know if Fifa bombed, fact that didn't had best 1st week in UK does not mean nothing, EA said they will talk about Fifa sales on Switch after holiday season. And it seems that Doom is selling quite nice, most likely Skyrim will have good sales also, and that Bethesda will be satisfied like almost evre other dev (expect EA) that relased games on Switch until now.

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

none of those companies have released anything major, well i guess except for dragonball, nba 2k18,and fifa, we don't  know the sell numbers except for xenoverse  2 which as shipped 400k just recently, thats not amazing by any means, although its ok, fifa seems to have done bad, nba 2k18 they are pleased but no sales numbers. third party games are not whats selling the switch at the moment i think it's obvious by age group and the game that are selling nintendo fans are buying the system.

But if they saying that they are happy with sales, exactly sale number are not so important, especially if install base of Switch is still very limited and Switch yet to have 1st holiday season.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 13 November 2017

Around the Network
Superman4 said:
LOL. Lifetime sales? PS4 hands down. Nintendo will abandon the switch before the PS4 stops selling.

Nintendo still didn't abandoned 3DS that was launched almost 7 years ago, why do you think they will abound Switch that seems it will sell better than 3DS before PS4 stops selling!?

Miyamotoo said:
quickrick said:

until we see third party games start selling, i believe it's mostly nintendo fans buying, along with some core gamers, if it continues strong next year i'll happily eat crow.

You do realise that games like Zelda BotW, Mario Odyssey, MK8D and Splatoon2 can be also bouth buy people that are not Nintendo fans!? I mean even here on site you have people who are saying that Switch is their first Nintendo console. And we actually last few weeks having 3rd parties saying they are satisfied with sales of their games on Switch and they promised more games.

You really don't make any sense.

quickrick said:

We dont know if Fifa bombed, fact that didn't had best 1st week in UK does not mean nothing, EA said they will talk about Fifa sales on Switch after holiday season. And it seems that Doom is selling quite nice, most likely Skyrim will have good sales also, and that Bethesda will be satisfied like almost evre other dev (expect EA) that relased games on Switch until now.

did you miss the part where i said along with some core gamers? obviously core gamers are gonna be interested when the games are nearly the highest rated games of all time, thats gonna get gamers attention. everything points to fifa bombing everywhere. even ea says they are not committed to making games on switch recently, if fifa gave good results i i doubt they would have said that.   

Miyamotoo said:

Every strong/big game is potential system seller, that espacily goes for 3D Zelda beacuse they are always one of biggest and strongest games on system, especially when we know that Zelda BotW was also released on Wii U also and that could be played via emulator on PC.

But in case of Bayonetta 2 Nintendo paid for development, and that wasnt only case, we also had Wonderful 101 and Fatal Frame V, so you can bet that Switch will have much more titles like those. Remember, Bandai Namco already anancued 3 Switch exclusives for next year, Platinium also said they are working on "intresting" game for Switch so it's possible that's also exclusive game, and dont forget that we already had games like Mario Rabbids and FE Warriors this year.

16nm Tegra become already available on market. Offcourse that point that Switch XL/Pro will be more powerful wouldnt easily offset Nintendo's combined development resources, nothing will relly change, we will have just higher resolution probably, I mean look PS4 Pro for comparison nothing didn't really changed. In any case is much easier to support just one platform than two totally different platforms, you need think only about one lineup of games.

But you realise while Nintendo was supporting Wii U they gave very strong support in same time to 3DS (actualy stronger than they gave to Wii U), basically they resources were divided, not to mention that Wii U was fail and had short life span, so they didnt want to invest too much in Wii U. And you do realise that Switch in first 9 months on market will have 5 AAA Nintendo games (Zelda BotW, MK8D, Splatoon2, Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade2)!? You need to start realising, hole Nintendo with all their recources, all teams (1st party, 2nd party and exclusive 3rd parties), undivided, making games just for one platform. Its very obvious that Switch will have very strong and great support from Nintendo suport with strong and great game, there is reason why Switch has killer 9 monts on market, and Nintendo already said they will continue momentum with strong and good games and after this year, that's actually there one of priorities with Switch.

Your points really don't have too much sense, I am not sure there is sense to continue to reply to you.

Pirates are never likely to buy the game to begin with so whatever sales lost you pointed from PC was minimized from the start and Zelda are not the biggest and strongest games on Nintendo systems. Not even close, especially when Animal Crossing, Mario (2D or 3D), Mario Kart, Pokemon and arguably even Smash Bros are all bigger franchises than Zelda ... 

W101 and FFV were funded by Nintendo so that doesn't change my point about Nintendo needing to pay for 3rd party exclusives. Mario + Rabbids and FE Warriors are about as 3rd party as much as they are 1st party ... 

Actually, lot's will change since WII U is now a legacy platform. The only reason Sony is not able to take advantage of PS4 Pro to it's fullest extent is the same reason as developing cross-gen games so I see no basis why iteration times will decrease or more likely not increase even with combined resources for Nintendo when developing on a more powerful platform exclusively ... 

3DS got strong support because it was the obvious successful platform at the time but you can't deny the significant effort Nintendo put in the WII U when it also received most of the flagship franchises for a Nintendo home console. That's not all, the 3DS had 4 ground up built AAA games for it in it's first year while the Switch only had 3 ground up built AAA games for it in the first year with BotW originally being intended for WII U and MK8D being a late port with extra content. All of that was even with preparation before hand when Nintendo ditched the WII U since the rest of 2015 with the release of Splatoon 2 and they largely ditched the 3DS since 2016. When all is said and done the Switch will probably have as strong of software support as the 3DS ... 

As for your last line, offended much ? 

bluedawgs said:
zorg1000 said:

Sounds similar to Switch, we dont go a week without hearing about a 3rd party game doing well or a developer/publisher being happy with sales.

Well not exactly, you hear about indie games that have the best selling SKU be on Switch, but we're talking about a couple thousand units. Mario + Rabbids is a big success yes, but thats all mario. Dragonball Xenoverse 2 has sold well as well, but again this SKU sold a couple hundred thousand units. The PS4 had wayyyy more games selling way more than any of these Switch games. Pretty much every game that launched for PS4 has sold at the very least a million. The Nintendo games have all sold multiple million units on Switch so far, while nothing else has passed a million or even gotten close at all. 

I think the problem with these comparisons is the lack of context.

The PS4/XBO games you are using as examples were the biggest and latest AAA releases of major franchises that already had huge audiences on the previous PS/XB consoles. If these games didnt sell in the multimillions than that would have been devastating for Sony, Microsoft and the 3rd party publishers/developers.

On the other hand, the majority of Switch 3rd party support from major publishers are low risk "test runs" by porting older games and anything over a few 100k was never likely for such games. Many of these games passed the test and will lead to further support and further sales going forward.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

Xenoverse 2 didnt just do ok, it did really well. All you are doing is looking at a number and basing your opinion on that without taking that number into context.

Its a year old port of a PS4/XBO/PC game, those platforms combined have well over 100 million users.

Now lets take a look at overall sales of the game, Namco just announced that the game has sold 3.3 million across all platforms, of that number Switch accounts for 400k.

Despite releasing a year late and having by far the smallest current install base, the Switch version makes up about 12% of the total sales in just about a month.

That bodes very well for future Dragon Ball games on the platform. Future DB games will likely look like this within the next couple years.

PS4>>Switch>>>>>>XBO>>>PC.