Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DigitalFoundry: Doom on Switch: The Complete Technical Analysis!

Shiken said:
HintHRO said:

This is an even worse comparison between Switch and home consoles. Comparing Switch with PS4/X1 is common sense because it is designed to play games on TV. Only the Switch is more expensive with way worse performance and less content. Laptops are not primarily designed to play games. PCs and laptops need to do a lot more, thus they need to have more components that are not related to gaming. You also wanna compare a $300 washing machine with the Switch? ''But it doesn't even run DOOM''

The Switch is a portable device that can play current gen games on the go WITH THE OPTION to play on the TV when at home.  The PS4 and X1 are devices that can ONLY play games on a TV, and are not portable at all.

The PS4/X1 is like an optimized PC, while the Switch is like an optimized tablet optimized for gaming.

You want to say my comparisons are bad, then throw out flawed logic like that?  Do you even know what a portable gaming device is?  XD

sorry, I just had to fix it there for you :)

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
Shiken said:

The Switch is a portable device that can play current gen games on the go WITH THE OPTION to play on the TV when at home.  The PS4 and X1 are devices that can ONLY play games on a TV, and are not portable at all.

The PS4/X1 is like an optimized PC, while the Switch is like an optimized tablet optimized for gaming.

You want to say my comparisons are bad, then throw out flawed logic like that?  Do you even know what a portable gaming device is?  XD

DOOM, Wolfenstein II, Dragonball Xenoverse 2, NBA2k18, WWE2k18, Dagonquest (whatever the newest one is), etc are all current gen games that are either here or coming, and there are more to come.  Plus 1st party exclusives are current gen as well.

Try harder

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
setsunatenshi said:

DOOM, Wolfenstein II, Dragonball Xenoverse 2, NBA2k18, WWE2k18, Dagonquest (whatever the newest one is), etc are all current gen games that are either here or coming, and there are more to come.  Plus 1st party exclusives are current gen as well.

Try harder

gimped versions of some current gen games then... come on... meet me half way here ok? geez :/

Shiken said:
setsunatenshi said:

Try harder

If you downgrade DOOM, Wolfenstein, Dragonball Z and other games hard enough, even the N64 will be able to run it. That doesn't make the performance current gen. First of all, going from 60fps to 30fps is a MASSIVE downgrade. And then they also have to lower texture detail, lighting, rendering and much more. This amount of adjusting takes months because they have to re-evaluate the whole game. And then besides all the downgrades, also content is missing. 

Switch is running last gen games, not current gen. And that for 320 euros excluding a game is way too much. 

HintHRO said:

f you downgrade DOOM, Wolfenstein, Dragonball Z and other games hard enough, even the N64 will be able to run it. That doesn't make the performance current gen. First of all, going from 60fps to 30fps is a MASSIVE downgrade. And then they also have to lower texture detail, lighting, rendering and much more. This amount of adjusting takes months because they have to re-evaluate the whole game. And then besides all the downgrades, also content is missing. 

Switch is running last gen games, not current gen. And that for 320 euros excluding a game is way too much. 

Do you really think Xenoverse 2 is a huge downgrade ?

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Around the Network
HintHRO said:
Shiken said:

Try harder

If you downgrade DOOM, Wolfenstein, Dragonball Z and other games hard enough, even the N64 will be able to run it. That doesn't make the performance current gen. First of all, going from 60fps to 30fps is a MASSIVE downgrade. And then they also have to lower texture detail, lighting, rendering and much more. This amount of adjusting takes months because they have to re-evaluate the whole game. And then besides all the downgrades, also content is missing. 

And yet, it sells like crazy. 

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

HintHRO said:
Shiken said:

Try harder

You list current gen games then say it runs last gen games?  Damn you take twisting the truth to a new level lol.

All of those games are feature complete.  Your one argument is maybe DOOM with the map maker, but then you could counter that it is traded for the feature of portability.

And your whole N64 reference just shows how little you know on the topic, I believe we are done here.  ;)

setsunatenshi said:
Shiken said:

Try harder

gimped versions of some current gen games then... come on... meet me half way here ok? geez :/

It runs portable versions of current gen games, where the PS4 runs console versions of the same games (higher res and framerate).

Basically I am saying a more acurate version of what you just said.  ;)

EDIT:  I will give you that some of the most demanding games however would need to be put on a different engine by a second dev team if it wanted any chance of running on Switch though.  There is your middle ground.  =P

Last edited by Shiken - on 14 November 2017

Shiken said:
setsunatenshi said:

It runs portable versions of current gen games, where the PS4 runs console versions of the same games (higher res and framerate).

Yeah, I'm a Switch lover and I didn't take your edit as an insult.

*Shrugs*

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

Shiken said:
setsunatenshi said:

It runs portable versions of some current gen games, where the PS4 runs console versions of the same games (higher res and framerate).

lol we'll come to an agreement at some point I feel.

do we shake on it? :D