1. Should I buy a Switch now, or wait for a deal on BF or closer to Christmas? I feel like Nintendo doesn’t often do major discounts or bundles. So would I get the same deal now as I would during BF/the holidays?
2. I realllly would like to play the old Super Mario Galaxy games. Can I buy these and other prior-gen Nintendo games digitally on the Switch/Nintendo store? Or is the Switch BC?
3. Will I be able to enjoy Zelda BotW if I’ve never played a Zelda game before?
4. Is there any peripheral or anything else I have to buy other than what comes with the Switch? I’ve heard people talk about some alternate controller? Not sure what that’s about...
Sorry I know so little about Nintendo/the Switch. But thank you in advance for any and all answers! :) And any other tips or useful info you want to share is welcome as well!
1. I wouldn't count on much of a "deal" with Christmas Switch bundles... with the supply and demand in mind (while also being comparatively cheap next to other systems already) they don't have much incentive to drop the price too much. If you see a nice bundle that you like, just go for it; be aware, though, that some bundles have been packing in digital copies of games instead of physical, just in case that matters to you (it'd piss me off lol).
2. There's no Virtual Console yet on the Switch. I imagine those games will eventually be available, but they aren't right now.
3. That seems highly likely, especially as the experience is really unlike any of the previous 3D Zelda titles so familiarity really isn't much of a factor here.
4. The Pro Controller is absolutely fantastic in my opinion, with some insane battery life and just about everything you look for in a modern controller. If you like that little controller that you slide the joycons into, be aware that there's a version you can get that actually charges them as you use it. If I was to recommend extras, then, they'd be these in descending order of priority:
-Screen Protector (DEFINITELY get one of these just to be safe, I don't believe they're included with the console)
-Micro SD card: You'll definitely want additional storage, and there's many affordable options. Just be sure to steer clear of the "Nintendo Switch" branded Micro SD cards with SanDisk, as they've been disgustingly bumped up in price 100% and more over same-storage-size Micro SD's without the Nintendo label.
-Dock Cozy: People have made ton of neat designs and such that fit over the dock to prevent potential scratches, they generally cost very little and are a fun touch. Admittedly with a screen protector this is mostly pointless, but I think they're fun
-Joycon Charger Stand: Just in case you like to have some extra joy-cons for friends, totally optional (Joy-cons have a very long battery life)
-Joycon Controller Case: Not sure what to call them but I bought these early on and they were great... it's essentially a frame that fits around a joycon and changes the grip of an individual joycon to mimic the more conventional feel of a modern controller, including better shoulder buttons. They're quite cheap and probably still on Amazon if you're interested.