By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - May get a Switch—my first ever Nintendo home console—UPDATE: GETTING ONE FOR CHRISTMAS!

Flilix said:
Sadly, it's still unsure if we'll even get a decent Virtual Console on the Switch. Nintendo has said some things about an online subscription, which would allow you to play a select number of games every month.

If playing older games is really important to you, maybe you should wait till January. They'll probably give a live presentation about it.

Okay, thanks for the info! I may end up doing that. If the older games were confirmed they’d be available, at least in some way, I think I would’ve bitten on it already. I’m so tempted to buy the neon Switch every single time I see it ha. 

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:

So I am strongly considering buying a Nintendo Switch by the end of the year. As the title states, it would mark the first time I ever bought a Nintendo home console (only Nintendo system I’ve owned was the original game boy). I owned the Sega Genesis, PS1, then the Dreamcast. Skipped the ps2/Xbox gen, then got back into games with ps3, and currently I have a PS4 and an XBO.

I considered getting a Wii U a few years ago, but I ultimately decided against bc the console itself did not seem great (good decision I think). But the Switch seems really sweet, and I’m tired of hearing all the damn hype surrounding so many of Nintendo’s exclusives! :) So...I have a few questions, if anyone is willing to answer.

1. Should I buy a Switch now, or wait for a deal on BF or closer to Christmas? I feel like Nintendo doesn’t often do major discounts or bundles. So would I get the same deal now as I would during BF/the holidays?

2. I realllly would like to play the old Super Mario Galaxy games. Can I buy these and other prior-gen Nintendo games digitally on the Switch/Nintendo store? Or is the Switch BC?

3. Will I be able to enjoy Zelda BotW if I’ve never played a Zelda game before?

4. Is there any peripheral or anything else I have to buy other than what comes with the Switch? I’ve heard people talk about some alternate controller? Not sure what that’s about...

Sorry I know so little about Nintendo/the Switch. But thank you in advance for any and all answers! :) And any other tips or useful info you want to share is welcome as well!

1. Don't wait on a deal. I don't see one coming anytime soon. Switch is selling hot right now and Nintendo hardly ever has deals.

2. Sadly no. If you find a Wii U cheap its not a bad pick up. There are plenty of good games on the system as well as BC with Wii games. But maybe Galaxy will get a port to Switch. As with Nintendo though, don't bank on VC or something anyday soon.

3. Yes, no prior Zelda experience or knowledge required. Most all games are like Mario in story anyway. Main character has to go save the princess from the bad guy. It also plays vastly different than other Zelda's. 

4. No there isn't. Try the joycon grip before splurging on a $80 controller or whatever it is. If you don't like it you can get a controller, but might as well try it first. Actually just keep an eye out for a Micro SD card. I think best buy is selling a 128gb one for like $25 on black friday. 

pitzy272 said:

1. Should I buy a Switch now, or wait for a deal on BF or closer to Christmas? I feel like Nintendo doesn’t often do major discounts or bundles. So would I get the same deal now as I would during BF/the holidays?

2. I realllly would like to play the old Super Mario Galaxy games. Can I buy these and other prior-gen Nintendo games digitally on the Switch/Nintendo store? Or is the Switch BC?

3. Will I be able to enjoy Zelda BotW if I’ve never played a Zelda game before?

4. Is there any peripheral or anything else I have to buy other than what comes with the Switch? I’ve heard people talk about some alternate controller? Not sure what that’s about...

Sorry I know so little about Nintendo/the Switch. But thank you in advance for any and all answers! :) And any other tips or useful info you want to share is welcome as well!

1. I wouldn't count on much of a "deal" with Christmas Switch bundles... with the supply and demand in mind (while also being comparatively cheap next to other systems already) they don't have much incentive to drop the price too much. If you see a nice bundle that you like, just go for it; be aware, though, that some bundles have been packing in digital copies of games instead of physical, just in case that matters to you (it'd piss me off lol).

2. There's no Virtual Console yet on the Switch. I imagine those games will eventually be available, but they aren't right now.

3. That seems highly likely, especially as the experience is really unlike any of the previous 3D Zelda titles so familiarity really isn't much of a factor here.

4. The Pro Controller is absolutely fantastic in my opinion, with some insane battery life and just about everything you look for in a modern controller. If you like that little controller that you slide the joycons into, be aware that there's a version you can get that actually charges them as you use it. If I was to recommend extras, then, they'd be these in descending order of priority:
-Screen Protector (DEFINITELY get one of these just to be safe, I don't believe they're included with the console)
-Micro SD card: You'll definitely want additional storage, and there's many affordable options. Just be sure to steer clear of the "Nintendo Switch" branded Micro SD cards with SanDisk, as they've been disgustingly bumped up in price 100% and more over same-storage-size Micro SD's without the Nintendo label. 
-Pro Controller
-Dock Cozy: People have made ton of neat designs and such that fit over the dock to prevent potential scratches, they generally cost very little and are a fun touch. Admittedly with a screen protector this is mostly pointless, but I think they're fun
-Joycon Charger Stand: Just in case you like to have some extra joy-cons for friends, totally optional (Joy-cons have a very long battery life)
-Joycon Controller Case: Not sure what to call them but I bought these early on and they were great... it's essentially a frame that fits around a joycon and changes the grip of an individual joycon to mimic the more conventional feel of a modern controller, including better shoulder buttons. They're quite cheap and probably still on Amazon if you're interested.

1. Now. With Mario coming it and the Switch having the "hot toy" tag they will be impossible to find come December.

2. Nope. Hope they add this. I will buy Xenoblade Chronicles time now if it did. The good news is a used Wii is dirt cheap and they can play gamecube games. So Mario Galaxy, Sunshine, Twiglight princess, Fire Emblem and many others are so accessible. All those games I just listed have aged very very well.

3. Zelda:BoTW is very different from any other Zelda game. The question is, Do you like open world games? If the answer is yes then you will like it. It is the most perfect open world game I have ever played.

4. IMO the pro controller is a must buy. When playing on the TV I use is 90% of the time. That said the Joycons work well enough so if a budget is a concern you can pass on the Pro controller.

May basic opinion on the Switch is that the reason to buy it is not because of its unique ability to play on TV and then take it on the go, the reason to buy is Nintendo has dropped some historically good games on it already that are just to good to miss. The ability to play on the go is just a bonus IMO.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Depending on were you live, I would buy one asap. There is a possibility that you won't find one on xmas.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

1) We're pretty close to Black Friday. At least wait for that one. If no deals show up then, don't bother waiting for christmas (though christmas deals are usually just as good, if not better)
4) I have large hands the joy-cons detached from the system are fine. Never laid hands on a Pro-Controller.

4 ≈ One

As in the title and OP, I’m officially getting a Switch :)

Another question...seems like Nintendo rarely discounts their consoles. Does that apply to their games as well? Was wondering if I should bite on SMO right now for $55 or wait for a price drop. How long will I be waiting? :/

Oh, and btw, I got the Zelda explorer’s edition for Switch on Black Friday for $9.97. Walmart had it labeled wrong. I know they’re policy, and so I fought for it and won. A steal!

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 19 December 2017

Nintendo games rarely get discounts, so if you wanna play any of their triple A stuff, just buy it now.

If you use Amazon or Best Buy, I would recommend either Prime or GCU, especially GCU, as that helps to alleviate the cost of games a little.

(Do you mean Super Mario Odyssey? You shouldn't pay more than $20 for Galaxy. )

That's a crazy good deal for Zelda!

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Congrats! I hope you enjoy it!

Ultrashroomz said:
Nintendo games rarely get discounts, so if you wanna play any of their triple A stuff, just buy it now.

If you use Amazon or Best Buy, I would recommend either Prime or GCU, especially GCU, as that helps to alleviate the cost of games a little.

(Do you mean Super Mario Odyssey? You shouldn't pay more than $20 for Galaxy. )

That's a crazy good deal for Zelda!

Thanks for the tip! And haha yeah, I meant Odyssey. 

Does BB give you a discount anytime? Or just for preorders?