By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

Mnementh said:

game #24

Hint 1: This game has a diamond horse.

Hint 2: There is a quest in the game, that asks you to kill yourself.

Hint 3: Edgecountries 2.

Guessed by Liquid_Laser: Borderlands 2.

game #23

Hint 1: You probably want Ivan on your starting team.

Hint 2: You learn to know Reuban and his feat with a hedge trimmer.

Hint 3: Fidel is good with explosives and with a gun.

Hint 4: Seemingly mercenaries are a bunch of drama queens.

Hint 5: You fight for honor. You fight for justice. You fight for the right thing. You fight about... trees?

game #22

Hint 1: Tactical turn-based RPG on a hexgrid.

Hint 2: Level-up into an advanced class.

Hint 3: Fight with knights, mages, elves, thieves or ... merfolk?

Hint 4: Sprites for the units on the map and comic-graphics for overlayed people in conversations.

game #21

Hint 1: Oh no! They can mind-control my troops!

Hint 2: The door is to well-guarded? Blow a new entry into the wall.

Hint 3: If the enemies make too much terror-attacks, the countries that are funding my troops will reduce their payment or even make a contract with the enemy.

game #20

Hint 1: If I would've played this game, this should be not lower on the list than #20.

Hint 2: Sword-fighting obviously is won by best banter.

game #19

Hint 1: The rebels of the dawn brigade are lead by the silver-haired girl.

20 is The Secret of Monkey Island?
19 is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn?

I have no clue what 22 is, but I am intrigued because I have been looking for a good tactical RPG that I haven't played yet.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Hey, I'm back again. This week I think will be pretty quiet, so I'll have enough time here to not only catch up, but also be involved and interact with everyone else, which is the most important thing. For now I'm just gonna drop the next couple of hints, and then I guess I'll need to start preparing the text for the next *gulp* 6 posts, but then I'll be around for real.

It's kinda crazy to see these next 2 games outside of the top 20, which is usually where the break between "games I really like" vs. "games I absolutely love" happens, but I guess it just goes to show how much our lists can improve over the years as we experience more and more great stuff. They are:

#22 - A somewhat recent indie game that tells quite a complex story without using a single word. It has a very heavy atmosphere, but its main character was recently added to the roster of a relatively light-hearted indie fighting game.
#21 - One of the greatest sequels of all time, still widely regarded as the best game in this franchise. I'm currently replaying it on the 3DS, where it's been recently re-released.

Not very confident about these, but...

22: Teslagrad
21: Pokemon Gold/Silver

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

game #24

game #23

Hint 5: You fight for honor. You fight for justice. You fight for the right thing. You fight about... trees?

game #22

Hint 4: Sprites for the units on the map and comic-graphics for overlayed people in conversations.

game #21

Hint 3: If the enemies make too much terror-attacks, the countries that are funding my troops will reduce their payment or even make a contract with the enemy.

game #20

Hint 1: If I would've played this game, this should be not lower on the list than #20.

game #19

I have no clue what 22 is, but I am intrigued because I have been looking for a good tactical RPG that I haven't played yet.

Both guesses are correct. Monkey Island had finally to come.

I'm interested if you'll like #22, it should be easy enough to try out once you know what it is.

Also, as you have a pretty good track record on guessing my DOS-games, I think you should be able to guess #21 and #23.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

game #24

game #23

Hint 6: You hire and fire your troops through the Association of International Mercenaries (A.I.M.).

game #22

Hint 5: Currently way more than 10 official single-player campaigns and much more as user-generated content.

game #21

Hint 4: There are a lot of alien races attacking earth together.

game #20

Guessed by Liquid_Laser: The Secret of Monkey Island.

game #19

Guessed by Liquid_Laser: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

24: Hint 1: Some speeches from the game. "Fighting is easy, what is hard is the look on your woman's face when you are a weakling. But I do not see anyone here who deserves to be called that."

"My GRANDMOTHER could take on this lot, so we should be fine!"

Hint 2: Playable Factions in this game include some Greek Cities, Seleucid, and Egyptians. If you manage to control Greece, you will usually have a very strong financial base.

23 Hint 1: You are a bald guy versus a Titan, with perks of course.

Around the Network

So a witch, a blonde dude and a monkey walk into a bar...

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I'm interested if you'll like #22, it should be easy enough to try out once you know what it is.

Also, as you have a pretty good track record on guessing my DOS-games, I think you should be able to guess #21 and #23.

Heh, there are actually a lot of DOS games I have never heard of.  I didn't get my own PC until '94 I think, but I had fooled around on several friends' computers before then.  And even in the 90's I am sure there are plenty of good games I overlooked.  The 90's had so many great PC games.

Farsala said:

24: Hint 1: Some speeches from the game. "Fighting is easy, what is hard is the look on your woman's face when you are a weakling. But I do not see anyone here who deserves to be called that."

Hint 2: Playable Factions in this game include some Greek Cities, Seleucid, and Egyptians. If you manage to control Greece, you will usually have a very strong financial base.

23 is God of War?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Heh, there are actually a lot of DOS games I have never heard of.  I didn't get my own PC until '94 I think, but I had fooled around on several friends' computers before then.  And even in the 90's I am sure there are plenty of good games I overlooked.  The 90's had so many great PC games.

Farsala said:

23 is God of War?

Nah but I realise that hint sucks lol. The entire plot is around this guy and this titanic guy.

Ka-pi96 said:
Farsala said:

Rome Total War? Didn't think of it at first, but your 2nd hint makes me think of it and your 1st one sounds a lot like some of the pre-battle speeches your generals would make.

Yes I had to make the first hint hard because 25 was Medieval Total War. Keeping them close together is a mistake but I like them fairly equally, despite many differences. 2nd hint would be too easy if I mention Rome so eastern nations it was. Unfortunately the other Total War games did not make the cut.

Ka-pi96 said:
Farsala said:

Yes I had to make the first hint hard because 25 was Medieval Total War. Keeping them close together is a mistake but I like them fairly equally, despite many differences. 2nd hint would be too easy if I mention Rome so eastern nations it was. Unfortunately the other Total War games did not make the cut.

Not a fan of the more recent Total War games then? Any particular reason?

It is mostly a downward trend, but not necessarily dislike them.

Medieval Total War 2- Best of the newer ones, but also the oldest. Loved the expansion with the Teutonic Knights. Not top 50 but a worthy game.

Empire- Complete disaster, too much focus on ships and graphics. Little balancing or ai.

Napoleon- Didn't buy but was pretty low on content with just Napoleon era.

Total War Shogun 2:  Heard was pretty good, but I didn't buy. Lots of DLC problems imo.

Rome Total War 2: I bought at launch, huge mistake. Had a ton of problems at launch and I tried playing it and even then it was boring. As a huge fan of Sparta, I tried hard to like this game and just play as Sparta. But it just wasn't satisfying. Also has DLC problems.

After that I gave up, however I prefer historical so Total Warhammer is meh despite me liking both franchises.  They also do some pretty unique things which I appreciate, but still meh.

As a side note they also made Spartan: Total Warrior for consoles which I enjoyed immensely. It has some warriors esque and God of War feel to it but a very unique game.