By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

The best game to lop off enemy's hands with everybody's favorite space-weapon.

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
Big green lizard dragon
Big red land dinosaur

Light and dark world? Is this A Link to the Past?

32: Pokemon Red/Blue?

31 I guess can be a lot of things...

#29 This MMO was controversial among fans of the series, because it had a number in the title.
Hint 2: It's not FFXIV.

Slarvax said:
Big green lizard dragon
Big red land dinosaur

31 A Link Between Worlds?

#31 Horizon Zero Dawn

Ahh Horizon. It's basically Monster Hunter meets Skyrim meets Uncharted. This game ranks so high on my list this year, because the enemies are an absolute blast to fight. There's nothing quite like running from a giant robot T-Rex as it crushes trees on it's way to kill you. The combat is fast and frantic, while managing to be strategic at the same time. And did I mention those trees have full blown destruction animations? This game is gorgeous both from a technical and design standpoint. The only flaw is the automated, stilted animations when talking to NPCs. 

Around the Network

Chrono Trigger
Previous Year: New

This is the only game on this list with which I have bent my rule of never including games I have not finished on my list. I have started this game on two different occasions and gotten very close to the end, but on both times I have been unable to finish it (corrupted save file the first time, broken system the second). However, despite that I have enjoyed the game so much on both occasions that I simply cannot leave it out of the list anymore. It's reputation as one of the best games of its genre is well deserved, and perhaps once I finally manage to actually play the game all the way through it'll be even higher on this list.

Okami
Previous Year: #27

One of the most beautiful game ever made, even by today's standards thanks to the exceptional art style. Okami was very much a game in the style of The Legend of Zelda series, with similar gameplay style and structure, with the addition of the "Celestial Brush", which allowed the player to basically stop time and draw various shapes and objects into existence and otherwise manipulate the world around them. It was an absolutely genious gameplay innovation, and it separated Okami from all other games of its kind.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Previous Year: #26

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a strong contender for my most played video game of all time. Starting from its release in 2008 up to the release of Smash 4 I spent quite literally thousands of hours playing this game together with my friends. It's not a perfect game, but very few games are quite as fun to play with three other people in the same room. The tripping mechanic was always kinda pointless and stupid, but on the whole, whatever flaws Brawl may have are completely overshadowed by the massive amount of time I've spent just having fun playing the game.

And here are the hints for the next three games:

#29: The Mishima clans family troubles get even more chaotic when the youngest ones great-grandfather is released from his imprisonment.

#28: Monkey and Trip

#27: A PS3 JRPG, the first game in a sub-series belonging to a larger franchise. The sequel was already on my list earlier.

Time for a lazy catch up.

#36 Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze / Wii U

#35 Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story / NDS

#34 Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle / Switch

#33 Undertale / PC

#32 Ghost Trick Phantom Detectve / NDS

#31 The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past / SNES / GBA

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

• Windows PC
  • First-person Shooter
  • Raven Software

A first-person shooter game often disguised as a third-person adventure game. Or, that's what I figure anyone would do in 'Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast', because what in the world is more awesome than fighting stormtroopers and Dark Jedi with your trusty Lightsaber. Not much, is the answer.

The game is the follow-up to the first, and also awesome, 'Jedi Knight', which in turn was the sequel to the old, influential first-person shooter game, 'Dark Forces'. It revolves around Kyle Katarn, a popular Star Wars Expanded Universe character who's sadly been removed from canon, and his quest to seek revenge on a pair of Dark Jedi supposedly responsible for killing his partner and right-hand-girl Jan in front of him during the early stages of the game, until he uncovers a deeper plot.

The game is still has the most satisfying experience of Lightsaber combat of any game. I have played through it all the way several times, and I used to save the game at every encounter with the "Reborn" Dark Jedi and the "Shadow Troopers" because of how awesome those fights were. I often went back to fight the best ones over and over. In fact, I feel like doing just that right now!

You either take money from cousin Vinnie, or you get a castle.

S.Peelman said:
Slarvax said:
Big green lizard dragon
Big red land dinosaur

32: Pokemon Red/Blue?

31 I guess can be a lot of things...

Right on the series for 32.

Big green lizard dragon
Big red land dinosaur
Big blue whale

What do you call screaming into a cave and hearing your voice over and over again?

You can now drive in the air and underwater!

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988