By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

Mnementh said:

Some hints for my upcoming games:

#49: This multiplatform title from a hungarian developer I played on my WiiU.
#48: Once there was a great gaming series that dominated a specific genre of gaming. The company doing the series was associated with this genre. But then videogaming changed - with the introduction of graphics. My game 48 is an attempt to revive the series in this new environment.
#47: A young ingenious developer invented this gaming series and redefined the genre. The installment I chose for the list is on Wii.
#46: This DOS-game took 3D-gaming serious. Seriously, you could rotate and move at all three axis. That made orientation sometimes difficult and the automap looked... interesting. The packed-in level-creator lead to the circulation of some very interesting fan-made levels.
#45: The rogue-like that made rogue-likes popular. I include in this place the most popular... let's say mod.

#48 Ultima 6?

#46 Descent?

#45 Nethack?

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
My #49 is unguessable, as has been proven the last few years, and even google doesn't really know if anyone would want to do some research, because "niche" doesn't quite cut it. Like with #50, it's not really useful to put up a hint but here you go;

This is a clone of a fairly well-known NES game where the player is a wizard that creates and breaks blocks to solve puzzles.

Actually, if anyone guesses this NES game, I'll count that as a win.

The NES game sounds like Solomon's Key.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
S.Peelman said:
My #49 is unguessable, as has been proven the last few years, and even google doesn't really know if anyone would want to do some research, because "niche" doesn't quite cut it. Like with #50, it's not really useful to put up a hint but here you go;

This is a clone of a fairly well-known NES game where the player is a wizard that creates and breaks blocks to solve puzzles.

Actually, if anyone guesses this NES game, I'll count that as a win.

The NES game being Solomon's Key is correct!

The clone I'm including is called Step-On-It. It came out on a floppy disc for Mac computers halfway through the '90s. I don't even know how or why we ever got that game, and it took me about a decade to realize it was actually just a clone of Solomon's Key made by a no-name developer, but I still have the cardboard box it came in.

S.Peelman said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The NES game being Solomon's Key is correct!

The clone I'm including is called Step-On-It. It came out on a floppy disc for Mac computers halfway through the '90s. I don't even know how or why we ever got that game, and it took me about a decade to realize it was actually just a clone of Solomon's Key made by a no-name developer, but I still have the cardboard box it came in.

This one? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i47Qd-Qhhs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_on_It!

Ultrashroomz said: 

#49: Despite the console this game got ported on, and the company that made this game was made by, this game seemed to have been overshadowed by the company's other great games on the same platform, and the same genre. Well nowadays, that shouldn't matter too much, considering that the series nowadays is way more relevant to even some mainstream audiences, and even if you're not familiar with the series, you can at least agree that blonde vampires who hide out in Egypt are massive jerks.

#48: Licensed games never seem to get it right, but this one managed fine. It has plenty of optional secrets and goodies that a die-hard fan of the franchise will truly appreciate. Despite this game being ported to multiple platforms, its not as good sequel only ended up being released on the console of origin of the first. Maybe this game will be off my list next year, considering this guy is getting a new game people are hyped up for next year.

#47: Let's face it, we love classic 8-bit games, but most haven't aged well, and are bound for a face lift so they can be better enjoyed. This was back when remakes were starting to become prevalent, and for the most part, does its job as simply and efficiently as possible, with basic things like smoother controls, and better graphics. The original was a little too short though, so let's add one more end game location, a hint of fan service, and voila!

No one?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said: 

#48: Licensed games never seem to get it right, but this one managed fine. It has plenty of optional secrets and goodies that a die-hard fan of the franchise will truly appreciate. Despite this game being ported to multiple platforms, its not as good sequel only ended up being released on the console of origin of the first. Maybe this game will be off my list next year, considering this guy is getting a new game people are hyped up for next year.

Spooderman?

Flilix said:
Ultrashroomz said: 

Spooderman?

Yee

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:
Flilix said:

Spooderman?

Yee

Only 48? That one is higher up on my list

mZuzek said:

#50 - A lot of people consider Mario's third game and Sonic's third game the best classic installments of their respective franchises. This other platforming mascot's third game is no different.

Crash 3?

mZuzek said:
H E L L O
(again..? welp.)

I just came back from a weekend out where let's just say I managed to add one final game to my list, and now I finished it for good. I'm going to drop 3 hints straight off because I'm not sure how well I'm going to be able to keep up in the next few days.

#50 - A lot of people consider Mario's third game and Sonic's third game the best classic installments of their respective franchises. This other platforming mascot's third game is no different.

#49 - Destroy LA... on skateboards!!

#48 - Not the third game this time, but rather the second game in a trilogy of platformers highly acclaimed for its soundtrack.

#50 Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

#49 Grand Theft Skate

#48 Super Mario Brothers 2 babyyy!!