By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Doom Switch Comparision with other Platforms

Green098 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

The gap is huge. Worse lighting and alpha effects and running at 30fps at a lower resolution. The other versions are way better but if I had a Switch I would get this version for the portability and any of the other versions for the full experience.

That's not a huge gap. This is a huge gap; (Black Ops Wii vs PS3)

At least the assets used on the Switch version of DOOM are the same.

As a veteran of COD on Wii myself, yeah, Doom on Switch nowhere near the same situation.

COD on Wii not only dropped to 480p/30fps, but also stripped out virtually all the PS3/360 rendering tech like normal mapping, per pixel lighting, etc. Doom on Switch retains most of the core rendering tech of the PS4/Xbone/PC versions. It's a much smaller gap.

Around the Network
Metallox said:

I've been reading a few reviews and comments by players who got the game early and it sounds the port is decent, but the visual downgrade and those frame rate hiccups might be a bit too much. At certain moments the game can allegadly look like this: 

It's something I think I can digest, but those occasions where the game seems to be running at slow motion is what is putting me on the fence. I'm an enemy of games that run at sub-30FPS, but at the same time I'm starving for a good shooter on Switch, and Doom certainly looks good enough (I haven't played it on any other platform and I don't think I'll do it anytime soon). 

It's that pic "Colorblind mode"? I'm serious. The game has like three different Colorblind modes with settings in each. I just fired it up but I'm not in the mood to screw up my video settings.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 11 November 2017

d21lewis said:

It's that pic "Colorblind mode"? I'm serious. The game has like three different Colorblind modes with settings in each. I just fired it up but I'm not in the mood to screw up my video settings.

No idea, as I said earlier, it's not my image, it's from one guy who complained that his experience on multiplayer had been overall very blurry. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Green098 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

The gap is huge. Worse lighting and alpha effects and running at 30fps at a lower resolution. The other versions are way better but if I had a Switch I would get this version for the portability and any of the other versions for the full experience.

That's not a huge gap. This is a huge gap; (Black Ops Wii vs PS3)

-snip-

-snip-

At least the assets used on the Switch version of DOOM are the same.

Eh, i think it's fair for someone to consider the Doom gap 'huge'. The Black Ops gap here is just a special kind of huge

I'd personally describe the Doom situation as a 'significant' gap, but all these terms are fairly loose.

d21lewis said:
Metallox said:

I've been reading a few reviews and comments by players who got the game early and it sounds the port is decent, but the visual downgrade and those frame rate hiccups might be a bit too much. At certain moments the game can allegadly look like this: 

It's something I think I can digest, but those occasions where the game seems to be running at slow motion is what is putting me on the fence. I'm an enemy of games that run at sub-30FPS, but at the same time I'm starving for a good shooter on Switch, and Doom certainly looks good enough (I haven't played it on any other platform and I don't think I'll do it anytime soon). 

Blurry on shades of grey, not visually appealing

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
d21lewis said:

I agree. That pic looks horrible.

I've been playing this game on Switch since day one but I've never seen it look like that. Not even close. Online mode was a blurry unplayable mess when I tried it but even then, it didn't look as bad as that picture. I was wondering if this was one of the three "Colorblind modes" that this game comes with--or the Switch's "invert color" mode. Or a combination of both.

Btw, I'm pretty much at the end of the campaign (played 90% in Portable mode) and I've not encountered any noticeable frame drops or excessive blurriness. I DID give arcade mode a try this morning where tons of enemies are on screen, power ups are everywhere, explosions are everywhere, and all kinds of madness is going on. I did notice frame drops in that mode. Resolution may have dropped but I was trying too hard to survive to notice.

d21lewis said:
DonFerrari said:

I've been playing this game on Switch since day one but I've never seen it look like that. Not even close. Online mode was a blurry unplayable mess when I tried it but even then, it didn't look as bad as that picture. I was wondering if this was one of the three "Colorblind modes" that this game comes with--or the Switch's "invert color" mode. Or a combination of both.

Btw, I'm pretty much at the end of the campaign (played 90% in Portable mode) and I've not encountered any noticeable frame drops or excessive blurriness. I DID give arcade mode a try this morning where tons of enemies are on screen, power ups are everywhere, explosions are everywhere, and all kinds of madness is going on. I did notice frame drops in that mode. Resolution may have dropped but I was trying too hard to survive to notice.

So perhaps it's someone trying to make it look bad on purpose.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
d21lewis said:

So perhaps it's someone trying to make it look bad on purpose.

Possibly. Or I haven't played enough multiplayer to see it get that bad. All I can say is I haven't l seen it. I can't swear by it, though.