By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sonic fans, why have you stuck with the franchise to this point?

I liked Sonic back in the 90s, but I'm having a harder and harder time seeing its appeal now. The 3D games aren't getting better, the comic is canceled and the fandom can be a little, uh, cringey. The only thing keeping the fires going at the moment are a retro-revisit and a cartoon I'm not sure if anyone actually enjoys. I'm just looking at the reviews for Sonic Forces trickling in, and I have to ask myself... what keeps hope alive for this franchise? Is it really earning a fanbase, or is it zombie-mode nostalgia powering it now?

Around the Network

Sonic sobered up long enough to star in Sonic Mania, he can do it again.

With the exception of Generations, Colors, and Mania, he's been a total waste of time. Here's hoping Christian Whitehead permanently replaces Sonic Team.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

As far as the fandom goes, I think the issue is, the Sonic fans that made up the fanbase initially during the Genesis and partly the Saturn/GG era have dropped off and the newer crowd took over sometime after SA2. And that's where I think the fandom took a huge turn for the worse. This is why I don't consider myself a sonic "fan" because deep down in that fandom it's toxic and cringe filled.

As far as why I try to stay on top of Sonic and keep my interest in him, I just feel he isn't done yet and I'm waiting for his franchise to recover. There's so much ground Sonic has yet to successfully cover and it's making me sick that ideas that Sega only tried once, were never really fleshed out. And those were some of the best ideas for the series and would help keep up interest and do away with the monotony of the series. I'm talking a foot racing sonic game, a real good Sonic RPG with the quality of a Dragon Quest style look, a Sonic Shuffle 2, Sonic Fighters 2, these are ideas that I think Sega should revisit and would revitalize the series in that it'll break the monotony of waiting a few years for another boost formula sonic that might be hit or miss.

Sonic Mania was a glimmer of hope for me. But Forces...it's just shows that Sega, for me, hasn't learned yet. My brother bought the game a little earlier in the day and we played through it. It's not a...terrible game but it's hardly a step forward for the series. Their fetish with including every sonic character they can just for the heck of it and not giving them any more necessity than to push the story forward hurts more than it helps imo. It's like they're saying "look, we didn't forget about Charmy or Chaos!" and then it stays at that. It does nothing for me.

But yeah that's my answer, I stick with Sonic because I know the series can and needs to improve. Or at least branch out a bit more. For a series that once stood toe to toe with Mario, I find it sad that he's come so far only to be mediocre and fall into the middleware category. It makes me uneasy because I'm in the camp that considers Sonic 3 and Knuckles to be the best 2D Platformer ever created by man and I want to see that era of zaniness, attitude, and suavity put into a Sonic game that rivals that of Mario Odyssey or Ratchet and Clank, Crash Bandicoot, etc. because Sonic has a whole lot to offer that these series don't. It just seems like Sonic team doesn't know how to exploit it. I'd like to think Yuji Naka could revitalize the series somehow but that man is way past his prime, much like Miyamoto. Who will come aboard and be that Yoshiaki Koizumi for Sega? That's what they need.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 07 November 2017

I don't, the only Sonic game i've played is Mania and it will stay that way for a while.

Around the Network

I stick with Sonic because I always believe Sonic will come back, and it paid off with the release of Sonic Mania. I'll stick with him until the end of my days

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Azuren said:
With the exception of Generations, Colors, and Mania, he's been a total waste of time. Here's hoping Christian Whitehead permanently replaces Sonic Team.

I grew up on SA2B, Sonic Advance 2, Heroes, and Sonic X, and I wouldnt trade it for anything else. *shrugs*

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

I haven't. Mania was awesome. Colors was pretty good, Generations was solid. I'm passing on Forces.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

I ask the same question. My mate who is a die hard Sonic and Sega fan during the Nintendo Sega wars gave up on Sonic after the Dream Cast. Those still faithful are brave Warriors indeed.

I don't consider myself a fan. If a Sonic game gets good reviews and looks fun in trailers I'll get it, and if it looks bad and gets bad reviews I won't get it. Couldn't care less about the characters or story,