By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next Gen Tech (NGT): STORAGE

Which storage solution would we end up with?

SATA 32 37.21%

M.2 30 34.88%

Embedded 3 3.49%

Lost me at Tech.. show results 21 24.42%

Total:86
Intrinsic said:
caffeinade said:
This thread is flawed.

If you are going to just talk about how the storage is going to be attached to the device, then at least be comprehensive.

You don't even talk about next generation tech, this has all been around for ages.

WTF?

I'll try and be concise....

1. next gen tech as applies to this thread is anything that goes into the next generation of consoles. Doesn't matter if its been around for the last 20yrs, what matters is if its going to be used in the next generation of consoles and what benefits it may bring.

2. Talking about the interface is actually more important than talking about the type of drive used in them for obvious reasons. One dictates the other.

When talking about the SATA interface, you basically have mechanical drives or SSDs or hybrids (SSHD), but whats important there is the interface which peaks at a theoretical 600MB/s.

When talking about M.2 interface you can only hav SSDs. But in this case the heoretical peak is at least 600MB/s all the way up to 3GB/s+. Its easier to have a more "comprehensive" discussion on what kinda tech will be used for the next gen consoles if you are looking at the interface cause that will dictate all that is possible and to be expected.
There is no need to talk about unreleased or experimental technology that anyone and their dog should know doesn't stand a chance of making it into a budget box that every console really is. So i don't know what you expected to see here..... optane? sheesh...... get real.

You outline three options; two of which are already used in the current gen consoles (Switch and PS4 Pro).
You give us an infant level explanation of the connector.
You don't even present tech that would realistically be used in a next gen console.

Why would I be satisfied with that?
Go look at Permalite's posts, there is more reason to read any one of them, than the thread itself.

If you are going to talk about connectors, at least do Some research, and present that to the reader.
Try to create some value for the people who will read your thread.

Also look up SAS or U.2.

Last edited by caffeinade - on 05 November 2017

Around the Network
caffeinade said:
Intrinsic said:

WTF?

I'll try and be concise....

1. next gen tech as applies to this thread is anything that goes into the next generation of consoles. Doesn't matter if its been around for the last 20yrs, what matters is if its going to be used in the next generation of consoles and what benefits it may bring.

2. Talking about the interface is actually more important than talking about the type of drive used in them for obvious reasons. One dictates the other.

When talking about the SATA interface, you basically have mechanical drives or SSDs or hybrids (SSHD), but whats important there is the interface which peaks at a theoretical 600MB/s.

When talking about M.2 interface you can only hav SSDs. But in this case the heoretical peak is at least 600MB/s all the way up to 3GB/s+. Its easier to have a more "comprehensive" discussion on what kinda tech will be used for the next gen consoles if you are looking at the interface cause that will dictate all that is possible and to be expected.
There is no need to talk about unreleased or experimental technology that anyone and their dog should know doesn't stand a chance of making it into a budget box that every console really is. So i don't know what you expected to see here..... optane? sheesh...... get real.

You outline three options; two of which are already used in the current gen consoles (Switch and PS4 Pro).
You don't even present tech that would realistically be used in a next gen console.

Go look at Permalite's posts, there is more reason to read any one of them, than the thread itself.

If you are going to talk about connectors, at least do Some research, and present that to the reader.

Also look up SAS or U.2.

highly doubt if they think you don't wanna pay for SATA3 that you'd pay for a SAS-3+ controller :P
but yeah.. it is a weird thread..

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

shikamaru317 said:
Bajablo said:

what?! :S jiesh.. yeah, i guess they skimp on something to make it that price.. but god damn.. that is just dissapointing..
that can't be the case for the pro models too? if it is that is just bullshit..

Sadly, though the PS4 Pro has a SATA 3 port, it still has the slow bus on the mobo, so there is very little difference.

Not 100% sure about XB1 X, but I seem to recall hearing that it was designed with a faster bus on the mobo than the standard XB1, so you should be able to get load times that are a good bit faster by replacing the standard hard drive with an SSD. 

The ps4 pro loads a bit faster as well

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-ps4-pro-ssd-upgrade-does-sata-3-make-a-difference

Loading Time (Seconds)PS4 500GB Stock DrivePS4 OCZ Trion 100 SSDPS4 Pro 1TB Stock DrivePS4 Pro OCZ Trion 100 SSD
Witcher 3: Novigrad City (Initial Load) 92.5 69.2 78.1 67.5
Witcher 3: Woesong Bridge Fast Travel 46.8 35.5 44.5 34.1
Fallout 4: Concord Town (Initial Load) 55.5 29.1 48.9 26.6
Fallout 4: Exiting Vault 101 25.7 17.2 24.2 15.9
Just Cause 3: New Game 69.9 43.8 76.6 42.4
Just Cause 3: Mission Respawn 28.9 21.1 33.4 17.8
Project Cars: Azure Coast (31 Cars) 50.5 40.4 43.9 41.0
Project Cars: Quit To Menu 21.4 20.5 21.6 20.5
Loading Time (Seconds)PS4 500GB Stock DrivePS4 OCZ Trion 100 SSDPS4 Pro 1TB Stock DrivePS4 Pro OCZ Trion 100 SSD
Battlefield 1: Through Mud and Blood 109.6 47.7 95.3 41.2
Battlefield 1: The Runner 70.2 31.5 60.0 27.8
Skyrim: New Game 22.1 16.7 19.0 13.7
Skyrim: Helgen Save Game 27.9 20.9 24.5 16.9

It depends on how the game was made, and the cpu is likely also a bottleneck. In theory, even on SATA 2, an SSD should be at least 3x faster than the stock drive. In practice in's 1.04 to 2.31 times faster.

The XBox One X's cpu is a little bit faster again than the pro which should help. Ofcourse the 4K texture packs will add a bit to the load times. I assume DF will do the same tests for the X when it's out. Ofcourse with games already over 100GB, that SSD upgrade will be costly. However with an external 4tb drive, copying the game you're currently playing to an internal 256GB SSD could be a good option. (I guess you can freely move game data without reinstalling?)

Intrinsic said:

Yes thats because on the PS4 the I/O bus is basically a SATA 2 lane. That means that anything you conect to that bus will be sharing that 600MB/s max limit. 

Ideally, that bus should have been a PCIE bus which would have meant that all connected devices have a pool of 4GB/s (depending on what kinda PCIE lane is used) to share from. But those PCIE lanes makes the MB cost more to make.

Sata 2 is limited to 300MB/s. Not 600MB/s.

The Playstation 4 Pro is using Sata 3.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Nope, AMD specifically stated that Pinnacle Ridge is NOT Ryzen 2. It will probably have a respin and "12nm process" (which is just an improved 14nm process, really) and certainly have errata fixes and a clock rate increase.

However, I doubt there will be much, if any, change in the power consumption (might be a bit due to the bugfixing and metal spin and the improved process, but don't expect anything more than a couple % out of that) and apart from bugfixing it's still fundamentally a first gen Ryzen, hence why AMD doesn't call it Ryzen 2. At best, it's a minimal shrink from the original Ryzen without any other real improvements. It's a Zen Refresh, but no Zen+ or Zen 2

I am calling it Zen+ as it's just a refresh, not an Overhaul. Zen 2 is after that.
With that however...
https://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-7nm-products-will-tape-year-zen-2-navi/
Zen 2 will be in production 2nd half of 2018 and if my prior predictions have been accurate will drop in 1st quarter of 2019.

You are correct on the 12nm process being a rebadged (Albeit improved) 14nm process, which in turn is based on 20nm but with Finfet.

Global Foundries pegs the improvement at 15% in regards to density, 10% improved performance, which coinciding with a respin could net some gains.
https://www.globalfoundries.com/news-events/press-releases/globalfoundries-introduces-new-12nm-finfet-technology-for-high-performance-applications

Of course when it comes to power consumption, AMD is likely to gobble that extra TDP headroom to push for higher clocks, will we finally see Ryzen break the 4Ghz barrier reliably?

shikamaru317 said:

I agree. I simply can't see Sony waiting later than 2020 to release PS5 personally. We are already starting to reach that same point last gen where 360/PS3 started to feel like they were really holding gaming back. The sign that that point has been reached is that framerate issues start to become commonplace on consoles. By 2010 framerates issues were becoming increasingly common on 360/PS3, and by 2012 we had games like Far Cry 3 with frame drops into the teens during some scenes. Meanwhile this gen we have been struggling with framerate issues from the start of the gen thanks to the weak Jaguar CPU's, but now we're even starting to see some GPU related framerate issues, and it's only going to get worse as PC continues to pull further ahead. I think 2021 is the absolute limit that this gen can reach, and more than likely it will be 2020 for Sony. MS may be able to hold off until 2021 by remarketing the XB1 X as an entry level gen 9 console, able to play the same multiplats as PS5 at a lower 1080p resolution, but the Jaguar CPU in X, even though it is heavily overclocked, may prove too weak to even play gen 9 games at 1080p 30 fps. 

Allot of what you describe (Framerate issues, resolution issues) and so on is partly why the Playstation 4 Pro and Xbox One X exists.

Next gen will probably take awhile to get kickstarted though, the technology doesn't really exist yet for a generational increase... Otherwise the PS5 will just be an Xbox One X in a different box... And who wants that?

Longer this generation is pushed out the better IMHO. We have never had mid-gen refreshes before... And I want next gen to be a big jump.

Bajablo said:

SSHD's f*cking suck though.. but i guess if you can code it to work with the game you are playing and streaming all files into the SSD part of it.. but.. then you could just have an SSD straight up..

However... They make a stupidly big difference if you are dealing with terrible 5400rpm (or lord forbid) less mechanical disks.
I mean, it's still not going to turn it into a speed demon, but it makes the slow less slow and more tolerable I guess.

I have a 32GB Sandisk Readycache drive in an AMD rig here... It's not a replacement for an SSD... And that's 32GB of the stuff.

shikamaru317 said:

But, drives will also need to be faster than they were this gen, loading the 4K textures and higher polygon character models we'll see next gen will make load times even longer than they are this gen, so a standard hard drive, even if it's 7200 RPM as opposed to the 5400 RPM drives we have this gen, simply won't cut the mustard.

SSHD's are essentially your regular 7200rpm or 5400rpm drives with some flash memory sprinkled on top.
You don't actually need an SSHD to get SSHD like performance.

shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, PS4 and XB1 only have a SATA 2 bus on their mobo's so even if you do put an SSD in them the SSD will be severely gimped. Plus like you said, the games on consoles just aren't coded to work with faster hard drives like SSD's. 

Which was fine at the time... As Sata 2 tops out at 300MB/s and the 5400rpm mechanical drives they used topped out at 80MB/s sustained, remember these consoles did release in 2013 and we are about to enter into 2018.

shikamaru317 said:

Sadly, though the PS4 Pro has a SATA 3 port, it still has the slow bus on the mobo, so there is very little difference.

There could have been something else at play.
You could throw 100GB/s of bandwidth at an SSD, but if it only tops out at 200MB/s, then that's all you get.

But if I had to choose between an SSD that does 150MB/s and a Mechanical disk that does 220MB/s... It will be an SSD every single time. Every time.

I was an early adopter of SSD's and opted for the OCZ Vertex back in the day, my mechanical disk RAID array was pushing 450MB/s. The OCZ drive was pushing about 250MB/s. Guess which provided the better experience? The SSD.
It made everything snappy because of the stupidly low access times.

Intrinsic said:

1. When talking about the SATA interface, you basically have mechanical drives or SSDs or hybrids (SSHD), but whats important there is the interface which peaks at a theoretical 600MB/s.

Not a real limitation as the majority of Mechanical Disks, heck even probabably SSHD's are not going to be pushing past that 600MB/s barrier.

Heck there are even a heap of budget SSD's (That a console is more likely to use) that wouldn't either.

The other issue is of course... External Hard Drives. This generation has almost necessitated their use (I have two 4 Terabyte drives dangling off the Xbox), next gen will only exacerbate the problem.
An Internal SSD is NOT going to assist in that regard.

But... If Microsoft/Sony were to include some NAND on the motherboard to cache *all* drives (Optical, Internal and External) then that is a better approach overall, don't you think?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

caffeinade said:

Lol, so what is your idea of what would be realistically used in the next gen consoles?
As i said in the OP, this thredad is to share and expand knowledge on the issue. Its not for me to give an in depth analysis of everything thats out there. So Permalites contributions aren't only welcome but are exactly what I am hoping users do here. So what is your contribution?
Read above again pls....
Also look up SAS or U.2.
lol... both of which aren't mainstream and definitely won't make it into next gen hardware. What you find in console hardware are usually the most common and massly adopted tech, primarily for the price.

Dude, I don't know your problem is... but you either contribute something or leave.

or at the very least read the OP. I actually know significantly more about all this stuf than what I have shared.... but the emphasis here isn't about the actual hardware and how it works... putting all that in the OP just limits how accessible this thread is to EVERYONE. 

But if you are interested and read through the thread or ask questions, you will be sure to find the answers you are looking for. So those that wanna know more can know more, those that aren't that techy.... well, get the infant level stuff. But they are good anyways.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 05 November 2017

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Intrinsic said:

Yes thats because on the PS4 the I/O bus is basically a SATA 2 lane. That means that anything you conect to that bus will be sharing that 600MB/s max limit. 

Ideally, that bus should have been a PCIE bus which would have meant that all connected devices have a pool of 4GB/s (depending on what kinda PCIE lane is used) to share from. But those PCIE lanes makes the MB cost more to make.

Sata 2 is limited to 300MB/s. Not 600MB/s.

The Playstation 4 Pro is using Sata 3.
My bad... mixing up my sata bandwiths.....

Intrinsic said:

1. When talking about the SATA interface, you basically have mechanical drives or SSDs or hybrids (SSHD), but whats important there is the interface which peaks at a theoretical 600MB/s.

Not a real limitation as the majority of Mechanical Disks, heck even probabably SSHD's are not going to be pushing past that 600MB/s barrier.

Heck there are even a heap of budget SSD's (That a console is more likely to use) that wouldn't either.

The other issue is of course... External Hard Drives. This generation has almost necessitated their use (I have two 4 Terabyte drives dangling off the Xbox), next gen will only exacerbate the problem.
An Internal SSD is NOT going to assist in that regard.

But... If Microsoft/Sony were to include some NAND on the motherboard to cache *all* drives (Optical, Internal and External) then that is a better approach overall, don't you think?

But thats exactly my point though... and why I even listed the bandwith as 500MB/s.... in hindsight I should have put ~500MB/s. Thats because its really hard to find anything that averages that theoretical bandwith. Not just with SATA but anything for that matter. Hence why its called a theoretical limit.

The cache thing seems like a great idea.... but wouldn't that just make the console more expensive to make. Or does that allow them cheap out on what kinda internal drive they would use? So maybe have something like 128GB/256GB internal cache over a PCIex4 lane?

Wouldn't it be just better to stick in an M.2 drive at the end of that instead?

Oh, and that last point, wouldn't taht be kinda like the NS setup (or the embedded option in the OP)? Have some sort of embedded cache but all users connect a standard SATA drive to the console. The console will probably come with one anyways.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 05 November 2017

Intrinsic said:

There are ways around that though. Every console could ship with a M.2 Nvme 480GB drive. And then have support for external HDDs on day one. Hell those launch consoles could even have an empty drive bay to slot in an "expansion drive" of the sata variant. But from day one the option will be there to just swapout your M.2 drive for a bigger one if you want. But if you don't but need more space you could always throw in a 2TB sata drive in your console or just connect one externally.

I wouldn't mind that. High speeds would be standard and as prices fall you could get more space cheaper while new sku's bundle more in.

Shadow1980 said:
Wouldn't better file compression and faster Blu-ray drives obviate the need for mandatory game installs? If so, then extremely large and fast hard drives wouldn't be necessary unless you're primarily buying digital.

Currently, the fastes consumer bluray drive is a 16x drive.... thats a theoretical peak of 72MB/s.

Even if by next gen that number doubles and they can afford to put that kinda drive in a console, it still won't be as good as what we can potentially get with even a sata 3 based drive solution. 

Intrinsic said:

But thats exactly my point though... and why I even listed the bandwith as 500MB/s.... in hindsight I should have put ~500MB/s. Thats because its really hard to find anything that averages that theoretical bandwith. Not just with SATA but anything for that matter. Hence why its called a theoretical limit.

If you wish to be factually accurate, you should have stated "Up-to" 600MB/s. Not 500MB/s.
Doesn't matter what you achieve in the real world.

Intrinsic said:

The cache thing seems like a great idea.... but wouldn't that just make the console more expensive to make. Or does that allow them cheap out on what kinda internal drive they would use? So maybe have something like 128GB/256GB internal cache over a PCIex4 lane?

Everything you add increases costs.

However... 8-16GB of TLC NAND is pretty cost effective these days, you wouldn't need 100GB+ of the stuff if you are only using it for caching.
Then that does allow them to use cheaper mechanical disks... And still likely come under the price of an M.2/NVMe drive.

Intrinsic said:

Oh, and that last point, wouldn't taht be kinda like the NS setup (or the embedded option in the OP)? Have some sort of embedded cache but all users connect a standard SATA drive to the console. The console will probably come with one anyways.

Not sure what you mean by "NS Setup".
The most accurate way of putting it is... An SSHD, but with the NAND not on the drive itself and capable of caching all drives.

Or an SSD Cache drive like the Sandisk Ready Cache/Corsair Accelerator/Intel Smart Response/Optane Memory.

shikamaru317 said:

And considering it would take about 7-8 tflops just to pull off native 4K on PS4 quality graphics, that only leaves a spare 4-7 tflops to put toward graphical improvements, not exactly a huge improvement. Basically what I'm expecting for next-gen is Witcher 3 pre-downgrade graphics running at native 4K, maybe a bit better. Personally I'll be happy with that, though I'm sure some people won't. But it's better than letting PS4 and XB1 act like anchors on game development until 2022-23 imo. 

You can pull off 4k with less flops than that.
It really is a bullshit number, almost as useless as using "bits" to try and work out a consoles performance.

A Geforce 1080 @ 8 Teraflops can provide a better experience than Vega 64 @ 10 Teraflops.

The amount of flops doesn't tell us what a GPU's Fillrate, Geometry, Bandwidth capabilities and so on is... Which are also important for running games at 4k.

Intrinsic said:

Currently, the fastes consumer bluray drive is a 16x drive.... thats a theoretical peak of 72MB/s.

Even if by next gen that number doubles and they can afford to put that kinda drive in a console, it still won't be as good as what we can potentially get with even a sata 3 based drive solution. 

That Theoretical Peak is likely only achievable towards the outside of the disk as well.

Shadow1980 said:
Wouldn't better file compression and faster Blu-ray drives obviate the need for mandatory game installs? If so, then extremely large and fast hard drives wouldn't be necessary unless you're primarily buying digital.

Better file compression requires CPU time. So unless Microsoft/Sony invest in a dedicated hardware decompression block on the APU, then really good compression is highly unlikely outside of game developer made implementations. (I.E. iD software with Megatexturing.)

The other issue of optical disks is... Seek times. Mechanical drives not only have significantly higher transfer rates and capacities... But they can get to the information they require faster as well... Which once you start doing lots of random reads, is very important.

We need a new Next-Gen optical disk format.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I've commented on this type of storage question before, but ever since, it seems quite clear to me that at the present time, there are simply way to many potential options and too much uncertainty about the life cycle and the storage market. This isn't at all like the last couple of gens, where we knew the storage device would have to be an HDD. Trying to make an educated guess now, would be like batting blindfolded. Mind you, if someone takes a swing now and hits a home run later, it would be pretty impressive and/or lucky.

What it does make me think, is that the potential for this gen to be 'lengthened' or 'shortened', is quite possible. Maybe Pro can last, maybe a Premium is needed or planned, but neither seems all that unlikely. Due to the reasons stated above, it might also make sense to launch next gen earlier than anticipated, offer a base (and/or higher tier) PS5 console, and have a 5 year gen with no upgrades.

A longer current gen means a larger leap next gen, but having to deal with some very outdated tech in the coming years. A shorter current gen means a smaller step next gen, but also a more affordable launch price again. Either way, making this gen 'longer' or 'shorter', makes the PS5 storage decision much easier, and would probably make quite a few other hardware decisions easier as well.