By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - X360 yearly sales=PS3 yearly sales

Legend11 said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Legend11 said:
It's really surprising considering how much the PS2 outsold the Xbox by. The fact that sales of the 360 and PS3 are so close and people think it's an amazing victory for Sony shows just how far expectations for the Playstation brand have fallen since the PS2.

There was a time when if you told someone that an Xbox brand console would keep up with a Playstation brand one for even a year people would have had good laughs over it. I guess those days are over.

OMFG what FUD, what fanboy spin.

PS2 was out before XBox, so XBox was in the position PS3 is now in, and it never got CLOSE to PS2...what is it, like 5 to 1 or 6 to 1 now, PS2 vs XBox sales? Whereas, PS3 is going to outsell 360 lifetime, easily.

So, Sony can release later and outsell MS, where MS got stomped launching 2nd.

That PS2 was such a sucess was a huge score for Sony. If PS3 is not as huge of a success, that's not a point for MS. What matters is how much each company will make in profits from current gen machines. Sony will make way more.

MS has had, what, one profitable year so far in console gaming, NOT counting the billion dollar loss from RRoD? LOL.

I'm sure Sony's happy to sell so many PS2s still...they make way more $ on those than on the PS3s. But don't worry, PS3 prices will keep coming down and Sony will roll over Microsoft in profitability. The Dreamcasting continues.

I'm not the one with the fanboy spin you are. I stated a fact that the PS2 outsold the Xbox by a lot and you chose to spin it.

I also stated that a lot of people (especially many Playstation fans) expected the PS3 to be another PS2 and crush the competition coming out the gate. It didn't, and it doesn't matter about the games because in the end the expectations were there that it was going to quickly claim first spot. It's funny how many excuses are now being made because the system didn't live up to expectations.

You are right, many Playstation fans did think the PS3 would own the competition.  Then a funny thing happened, a Sony rep, I blieve Kaz Harai (or however his name is spelled), came on stage and announced a $600 price tag.  From then on, only the hardest of the hardcore believed that Sony would crush the sompetition when the price is 2.5x the Wii and almost double the 360.

Around the Network

Intresting stuff, i thought the 360 would be 2-3m ahead for the fiscal year, just goes to show the PS3 is able to match the 360 even without this years big releases, i think this year will be the PS3's, and im glad, although im a 360 fan, my latest RROD has left me bitter at ms.

DogWeed said:
Legend11 said:
Torillian said:
Legend11 said:
It's really surprising considering how much the PS2 outsold the Xbox by. The fact that sales of the 360 and PS3 are so close and people think it's an amazing victory for Sony shows just how far expectations for the Playstation brand have fallen since the PS2.

There was a time when if you told someone that an Xbox brand console would keep up with a Playstation brand one for even a year people would have had good laughs over it. I guess those days are over.

Nothing I hate more than people that remind you of this after they hear about the PS3 doing well. I understand that expectations were high after the PS2, but it's a new generation. Not many people expected the Wii to sell like space heaters in Antarctica, but that doesn't mean everytime we look at it's sales we should comment on the surprise. It's just an attempt to marganalize the accomplishments of the PS3.

Well the PS3 was supposed to be the 800 pound gorilla that was going to come out and smash everything. The fact that the 360 held its own and sold just as much as the PS3 isn't what I would call a success for the PS3, I would actually consider it a success for the 360.

you do realize that the 360 has been out for a year longer right? and for the ps3 to match the 360 sales with virtually no games from sony's catalog is infact a big success. not to mention the 360's had its highest achievement wich was halo 3 in 2007.

The 360s highest achievement is that it produces exclusive AAA games every year consistently to the masses, with no sign of letting up. AND that its HW sales is growing YOY when people were saying things like 'The Dreamcasting continues'. AND that the end of the last gen was PS2 72%, GC 13%, XB 15%, just look at the front page now, oh look the 360 lost 0.1% market share this month, the PS3 is going to overtake it by end 2008! AND Xbox 360 is owning in SW worldwide (even with your beloved GT5:P out), AND this just in, GTA4 preorders look like 360 is leading 1.8:1.