By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Xenoblade Chronicles Series Thread: Definitive Edition (All Spoilers in Tags)

I'll take the time to create a dedicated thread, but for now I figured you all might appreciate this:

https://youtu.be/IWaORkp1t4Q

I run down a "resolution trick" to fix/remedy the blurry image quality of the game. It was a big improvement for me, and helped me enjoy it more as I wasn't being constantly distracted by it's visual shortcomings.

EDIT: Also, can anyone give me a rundown of how to embed videos on here. I can't get it to work...

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
StuOhQ said:

I'll take the time to create a dedicated thread, but for now I figured you all might appreciate this:

https://youtu.be/IWaORkp1t4Q

I run down a "resolution trick" to fix/remedy the blurry image quality of the game. It was a big improvement for me, and helped me enjoy it more as I wasn't being constantly distracted by it's visual shortcomings.

EDIT: Also, can anyone give me a rundown of how to embed videos on here. I can't get it to work...

Hmm does seem to help, thanks.

What is the obsession of this game with these multi step side quests, not even X got this annoying.

And it really gets to me when I get roadblocked by a field skill step in the middle of them.

Welp I finished it. Tales of Xenoblade 2, the latest title in the Tales of series.

While the story and characters in the end were good, really good, it was such a mess in pacing and tone for the first half and got better with chapter 6 and on. There were a lot of moments that annoyed me in that first half and then filled with almost nothing but great moments later on and the characters were becoming so solid and their banter actually entertaining I was surprised to be honest. Cut scene length and at times their frequency can be pretty terrible, especially in Chapter 3 and the last third of the game. Character highlights were Nia, Mórag, Brighid, Zeke, Tales of villain of the week Jin, but I enjoyed the whole cast overall.

The gameplay, just like the story, took a while to hook me, say around 20 hours in I was starting to have fun, once you unlock the use of 3 blades, enemies start to have more moves and strategies to them, it actually becomes really engaging. When it gets going, is more fun than the previous games, but is a long way to get to that point.

Merc Missions were a nice addition. I didn’t care about the normal side quests, besides some dragging on or getting road blocked by those oh so beautiful field skills (nice idea, the execution is highly questionable and by that, I mean terrible), I really didn’t felt engaged with them, they are about as worth it to me as XC1 side quests, didn’t felt it offered as much as X’s ones where even if the structure wasn’t perfect at times, the story arcs and world building were a nice reward. Which kind of applies to the exploration, I check spots here and there, but never engaged enough to explore everything. It also needed the follow ball of X, because that marker for objectives is the worst thing.

This is probably just me, the game looks pretty and all, but I don’t feel the atmosphere of the locations is as strong as XC1 or X’s locations, I feel is not as interesting to look at and they don’t have a great sense of presence, but the towns/cities were damn good, the right size and a nice unique feel to each of them.

Music wise it gets the job done. It sounds a lot like 1 at times, which I liked for the most part, but also I’m the only person on the planet that loves to death X’s OST compared to 1 and 2. There were some good highlights tho, Zeke’s theme, the boss theme with the trumpets and guitar, Mor Ardain’s field theme and Tantal’s field theme. Speaking of audio, thank the lord that I can shut the party up during battles, they need to fix how repetitive and unharmonious the battle talk is, but the option is appreciated.

There are some other things that I liked and other minor annoyances, some exclusive to this game, others just what I have to deal with Xenoblade in general, but that is about my general final thoughts on this game. Is a solid game, at times unpolished, other times quite great. I also came to the conclusion that I hate Nopons, they just bring me despair, Riki’s English voice, Tatsu’s food jokes, Tora’s maid fetish and that horrible arcade game.

I also became Zeke/Pandoria and Mórag/Brighid trash, especially the latter. Their relationships and chemistry were quite good. Zeke and Pandy were a great comedy duo with a good deal of serious trust and Morag and Brighid were such a power couple with some cute moments, plus badass moms to the group. I also enjoyed Rex/Pyra development for the most part with the exceptions of a couple of scenes and HtHs.

Tales of Xenoblade 2 was certainly a videogame.

Around the Network

So Xenoblade 2 opens at 159k first week in the US; for comparison, Xenoblade X opened at 225k.

2 should have better legs though, as it's releasing in the first year of its system instead of the twilight years.

curl-6 said:

So Xenoblade 2 opens at 159k first week in the US; for comparison, Xenoblade X opened at 225k.

2 should have better legs though, as it's releasing in the first year of its system instead of the twilight years.

Not only should it have better legs, I feel it is probably undertracked.  It charted much better at all retailers than X ever did.  And it was up vs X and the original in Japan, continental Europe, and the UK.  I find it hard to believe it came in under those in the US.

I refuse to believe those numbers! Vgchartz is just under tracking again like they did with the Rabbids game!

Anyway I started a new file a week ago on Xenoblade 2 and I very surprised how fast I got through chapter 1-3. I did it in 10 hours with all the side quests up to that point done. For reference it took me 17 hours to do that with only some of the side quests done the first time around. The game feels very planned the 2nd time through but in a good way. I don't have to go out of my way to do things. Anyway I should probably go play it right now.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

morenoingrato said:
Is it worth it to keep the shitty common blades? Should I just let them all go?

Also, how to raise town development? Just keep spending money?

I keep a nice stable of commons that have multiple useful field skills. Like Ice Master 3 and maybe also has Mineralogy 2. Useful so I keep it. Also filling a 4 stars affinity chart then releasing it gives you an overdrive protocol. 

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I am still playing it, right now I have my crew geared and decked out that I can usually go anywhere in the map and short of Super bosses nothing can run up on me and survive.

Grinding for unfinished quests and rare blades.