By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony profits rise 346% thanks to strong performance from PlayStation

IkePoR said:
KBG29 said:
Now they just need to kill off Xperia, and start building Phones, Tablets, and a Handheld using the PS4 tech and OS. The rest of the company is doing quite well. Good news for Sony, Great news for Developers, and Outstanding news for Gamers. More money, means more games, bigger budgets, new hardware, and more innovation/risk. Look forward to seeing what all these profits turn into!

I'm still concerned about the movie division and tv manufactoring as well.  Do they still make tv's?  

Shout outs to Microsoft for doing it's part too.  After all, where might the PS4 be if not for Don and those boys Microsofting the Xbox One up?

Both are in the black.

Around the Network
Zach808 said:
Wait... This means the Emoji movie actually made Sony a ton of money.
B
R.I.P. film industry.

Just checked.. $160 million profit from the movie... Fuck sake. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

loy310 said:
JRPGfan said:
Profits up 346%.... not bad.

Whatever changes they put in place, paid off big.

iPhone X forward facing camera supplier is what happened.

Indeed. Still - the gaming division is their biggest earner this quarter. Both beat the financial services segment, which also made huge profits.

IkePoR said:
I'm still concerned about the movie division and tv manufactoring as well.  Do they still make tv's?

Movies, Phones and TV's still need to improve.

Though Sony is still the 4th largest TV manufacturer in the world:
1. Samsung
2. LG
2. TCL
4. Sony

Zach808 said:

R.I.P. film industry.

So far, The Emoji Movie has grossed $212 mill on a $50 mill budget. But yeah, the movie division needs to improve quality and profit wise.

The former CEO of Sony Pictures Michael Lynton was recently replaced by Anthony Vinciquerra from 20th Century Fox so let's hope he has a better idea of how to do things (hint: no more remakes and cheap animations).

ironmanDX said:
loy310 said:

iPhone X forward facing camera supplier is what happened.

Damn. That is a handy contract for Sony. If you can't beat them, supply them!

Kaz putting in the work!

Haha that's a great saying.  

Yeah Sony doing so good now. 

Around the Network
IkePoR said:
KBG29 said:
Now they just need to kill off Xperia, and start building Phones, Tablets, and a Handheld using the PS4 tech and OS. The rest of the company is doing quite well. Good news for Sony, Great news for Developers, and Outstanding news for Gamers. More money, means more games, bigger budgets, new hardware, and more innovation/risk. Look forward to seeing what all these profits turn into!

Shout outs to Microsoft for doing it's part too.  After all, where might the PS4 be if not for Don and those boys Microsofting the Xbox One up?

Well, they sold 12.1M TVs last fiscal year and planning to sell 12.5M this fiscal year so, yeah, they’re still making TVs.

I wondered how they were able to afford painting those PS4's gold.

Replicant said:
IkePoR said:

Movies, Phones and TV's still need to improve.

Though Sony is still the 4th largest TV manufacturer in the world:
1. Samsung
2. LG
2. TCL
4. Sony

Zach808 said:

R.I.P. film industry.

So far, The Emoji Movie has grossed $212 mill on a $50 mill budget. But yeah, the movie division needs to improve quality and profit wise.

The former CEO of Sony Pictures Michael Lynton was recently replaced by Anthony Vinciquerra from 20th Century Fox so let's hope he has a better idea of how to do things (hint: no more remakes and cheap animations).

Worth pointing out that for the past quarter LG’s TV division had a 46.9B¥ operating income (converted) vs Sony’s TV segment’s 24.3B¥. I think they will close the gap gradually.

Their tv's are nice.

Too bad their new tone-deaf CEO John Kodera already said some stupid shit (but reasonable) about microtransactions and services and now you have youtubers profiting from the outrage culture and people are making doom scenarios about the death of gaming as if microtransactions for GoW or Spiderman were already confirmed. I feel bad for the developers who make those amazing exclusives when there's always that one corporate guy that hurts the perception of their game through his detachment of what gamers want to hear.