By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey Reviews - 97 Metacritic (91 Reviews) - 97 OpenCritic (84 Reviews)

Let's play a game. Guess how much this reviewer scored Odyssey:

Though a really neat game, Super Mario Odyssey is an utterly underwhelming adventure for every long-term Super Mario fan in existence. Unless Cappy brainwashed you. In that case, you are a satisfied zombie customer now. No, seriously, only a zombie would find a healthy challenge in this pleasant but disappointingly easy Super Mario Walk-in-the-park. Sorry - Odyssey.

Edit: someone already posted it

But yeah, that's my problem with game reviews/reviewers. They don't know how to be harsh.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Slarvax said:

Though a really neat game, Super Mario Odyssey is an utterly underwhelming adventure for every long-term Super Mario fan in existence. Unless Cappy brainwashed you. In that case, you are a satisfied zombie customer now. No, seriously, only a zombie would find a healthy challenge in this pleasant but disappointingly easy Super Mario Walk-in-the-park. Sorry - Odyssey.

You're late Sal, we've already been discussing this scrub's review! > : (

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

LimaBean01 said:
Barkley said:

While it may be written badly, he doesn't say that.

He says that anyone that's a long-term Super Mario Fan won't find it challenging, unless they're a zombie.

His complaint is the game is too easy

Yeah i think I read too much into that. Just kinda seems like 'it's too bad (easy) and if you disagree you're brainwashed' you know?

Either they chose the worst paragraph of the review, either it's badly written, from a writer's perspective.

Slarvax said:

Once I read that, I thought that he'd score the game with a 3/4 or something like that XD. I find that sentence utterly disgusting though. Unless I'm getting it wrong, but I can't access to the whole review.

It seems like definitely is 95+. :)

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Shaunodon said:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/critic-reviews

Your point about majority is semantics, and I added a 'just' to try and get past that, but you obviously ignored it.

What you said about reviewers giving a different score as long they provide valid points, is absolutely true. But if 3 reviewers are that far off from the other 100+, then their reviews would have to contain points so comprehensive, that it made the other 100+ reviewers seem like either inept monkeys, or completely paid-off shills.

None of those 3 reviews (most cetainly not Jim Sterling) were anywhere near that quality.

It's not difficult to see which side was driven by an agenda, or just totally incompetent.

Ah of course, because I was totally talking about Zelda specifically, except I explicitly wasn't...

There's no way to justify your completely off tangent response, but you can keep trying if you want, I'm just gonna ignore it now as this conversation is only making me lose brain cells.

I was just using Zelda as an example, seeing as it's the only game quality-wise this year which is comparable to Mario Odyssey; and also since it's the most obvious and controversial topic this year in regards to review scores, especially Nintendo.

Don't be obtuse.

INCITATUSBR said:
Scores:

TrueGaming 10.0 / 10.0
GameSpot 10 / 10
Press Start 10 / 10
NintendoWorldReport 10.0 / 10.0
Metro GameCentral 10 / 10
GamesRadar+ 100 / 100
Nintendo Enthusiast 10.0 / 10.0
Digitally Downloaded 100 / 100
FNintendo 10 / 10
Guardian 100 / 100
GamesBeat 100 / 100
Critical Hit 10.0 / 10.0
COGconnected 100 / 100
USgamer 100 / 100
Cubed3 10 / 10
Giant Bomb 100 / 100
Game Revolution 100 / 100
Nintendo Life 10 / 10
TheSixthAxis 10 / 10
IBTimes UK 100 / 100
Areajugones 10.0 / 10.0
Gameblog 10 / 10
IGN 10.0 / 10.0
Hobby Consolas 98 / 100
AusGamers 9.8 / 10.0
Game Informer 9.8 / 10.0
Wccftech 9.7 / 10.0
Spaziogames 9.5 / 10.0
CGMagazine 9.5 / 10.0
ThisGenGaming 9.5 / 10.0
Polygon 95 / 100
NZGamer 9.5 / 10.0
GBAtemp 8.0 / 10.0
Expansive 10 / 10
SA Gamer 10 / 10
Red Value Gaming 95 / 100
PowerUp! 9.5 / 10.0

Holy fuck!!!

Switch Just got 2 10/10 scores from many reviewers in less than 1 year!!!!!! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

guiduc said:

You can move Cappy in a lot more axis with the motion controls, make him go circling around, something that isn't quite possible with attached controllers. Much like you can give direction to the punches you throw in ARMS, something you can't really do with regular controls.

You can do that with regular controls though, the right stick curves your punches. I assume the right stick would be used to control cappy in a similar fashion.

OTBWY said:
It feels like the entire internet is slower. Nice scores. The one 75 review from Playzine looked absolutely dumb and childishly written. There's always that one guy...

Yep. That was just clickbait. Every time a game with universal acclaim is launched, a  few individuals will do that.

Volterra_90 said:
Azuren said:
I will never understand the appeal in Mario games.

That's not at problem at all if you find other gaming experiences which you love. It's a shame that you can't enjoy Mario games though, I've always had so much fun with them .

I enjoyed Mario 2 (Doki Doki Panic), Mario 3, Super Mario World, and Mario 64. Then I got tired of it and started looking at other games critically. 2D Mario games have only continued to show me that side-scrolling Mario works for a bit before getting boring. 3D Mario games have shown me that Nintendo considers one new twist in each game is sufficient. The water cannon in Sunshine, silly gravity in both Galaxy games, and now a hat that can hijack NPCs. While Odyssey has the best new mechanic with the most variations of usage, it just doesn't do anything for me.

It might be because I look at Mario and see him as a racist relic from the past. While he's not as racist as black face or something, I still can't help but feel people would be upset if I made a protagonist out of a short and stout Mexican in work clothes named Pablo Pablo and game him the ability to jump really high and swim really fast as he eats mushrooms and flowers...

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames