By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Insomniac On Sunset Overdrive 2: "We Just Need To Find A Publisher!"

Bandorr said:
DonFerrari said:

From what was told at the time... SSO1 can only be on X1, but sequels could go anywhere.

shikamaru317 said:

I'm fairly sure MS had full exclusivity on the first game, though sequels can go wherever the publisher of the sequels wants to put them. So Sony could get SO2 as an exclusive, MS could get it and release it on XB1/W10/Steam if they wanted to, etc.

That is what I thought. But I keep seeing stuff like "bundle it with SSO1" or "bring it and SSO1 over to ps4" etc.

I'm not sure well the second one will sell if it has any connections to the first one.  I don't like buying the "latest" in a series if I can't go back and play the first ones.

We don't know if they couldn't release a "SSO1 game of the year edition" or anything similar on PS4. Nor do we know if MS didn't keep it exclusive for an amount of time or anything like that. So I and other assume a most restrictive scenario.

They surely could make a narrative of the history of the first one inside the second so people could go for it. Or reboot the history.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:
So did it really made more sense to retain the IP for a series that no one is funding instead of having Sony supporting you?

Yes, it puts SSO in a better position. If Insomniac had handed over the IP rights to Sony for the first game, then the IP would be done for good now, just like The Order. But since Insomniac still owns the SSO IP, the failure of the first game didn't kill all chances for a sequel outright.

Better position? Yes it certainly looks like this right? MS fans consider it a great game and success, but MS won't publish se sequel, reality of market puts the game as a fail so others also don't do it.

I don't remember any game Insomniac made for Sony in recent time that they cut the finnacing line for then.

And The Order, I didn't know you wanted a sequel for it... I would like, but most in VGC are completely dismissive of the game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

This is why Microsoft SUCKS. They are afraid to take risks even with a critically viable prospect. How am I as a Gamer and a consumer supposed to have faith in a company like that.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

"We Just Need To Find A Publisher!"

Id laugh if Sony actually talked to them, and got a sequel out of it... or a new series in same verse, a spin off.

that is actually kind of sad.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
ShadowSoldier said:
This is why Microsoft SUCKS. They are afraid to take risks even with a critically viable prospect. How am I as a Gamer and a consumer supposed to have faith in a company like that.

Not many companies are willing to make art for the sake of art.
At the risk of profitability.

Not Sony, not Nintendo, not Valve and not Microsoft.

Around the Network

If MS were happy with the financial results of the first they'd have signed them up for a second already. Sony don't need sunset overdrive and losing it to MS won't change anything.

I'd be surprised if either sign them up for this TBH.

If Sony can fund Knack 2 then they can surely fund this. xD

think-man said:
If Sony can fund Knack 2 then they can surely fund this. xD

That is a fair point.
After Knack 2, anything should be possible.

caffeinade said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Not many companies are willing to make art for the sake of art.
At the risk of profitability.

Not Sony, not Nintendo, not Valve and not Microsoft.

Knack 2, The Last Guardian, Detroit just off the top of my head.

TLG and Detroit can be considered art and are HUGE risks that Microsoft would not have taken. Hell TLG would have not come out if MS was in charge of development.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

I love Insomniac Games, they are one of the most honest developers we have in this business!