By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So where are all the SNES Classics Reggie promised?

Conspiracy time: when the SNES Mini drought reaches its peak, Nintendo will announce full Switch VC for NES, SNES, GB and GBA. N64 and forward will come after the N64 Mini comes out.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

Nintendo is using the SNES Classic as a bait and switch

Like I told some guy on Facebook a while back, during the hurricane people were scalping WATER.

Even if the SNES Classic were being produced in adequate numbers, you still have to beat the scalpers to it. My local GameStop said they got new units twice but the sell out super fast. The more they name, the more people buy. I can't say that I wouldn't buy 3 or 4 if I saw them in stores. It's too hard to pass them up.

ITS ALL SOLD OUT!!!!

Nintendo getting all that $$$$$$ and demand is still not meeting.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

sethnintendo said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
It's not what the conspiracists think (intentionally creating less than demand) but they ARE intentionally being careful because that's what Nintendo does. For some reason, they're uber afraid of overstock.

Why not open up demand on their website?  I'd gladly put my order in for a 2-4 week turnaround instead of this bullshit.  Don't you think they could more accurately gauge demand through website orders?

Yes, absolutely. But again, that's just "Nintendo being Nintendo". They do things in their own way. Sometimes it's good, sometimes (like this) it's a "wtf", shake your head thing. 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Like I told some guy on Facebook a while back, during the hurricane people were scalping WATER.

Even if the SNES Classic were being produced in adequate numbers, you still have to beat the scalpers to it. My local GameStop said they got new units twice but the sell out super fast. The more they name, the more people buy. I can't say that I wouldn't buy 3 or 4 if I saw them in stores. It's too hard to pass them up.

I'm sure they could carpet bomb the fuck out of retail IF wanted to. They don't. The one way to beat scalpers is to flood the market with more consoles than buyers. Nintendo just doesn't want to do that.

Medisti said:
sethnintendo said:

"In this case, it's not [a supply issue]. I would strongly urge you not to over-bid on an SNES Classic on any of the auction sites... You shouldn't [have to] pay more than $79.99."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/dont_pay_over_the_odds_for_a_snes_classic_mini_urges_reggie_fils-aime

But, what does that have to do with walking into a store and finding Switches and not SNES classics? They could make ten million and if ten million buy it, it'll be sold out just the same. And, from what I'm hearing, it sold well over a million in its first month in NA alone.

Then they should make 20, 30 or 40 million until everyone can walk into the store and pick one up. The profit margin on these things is obsene. It costs them pennies. They simply don't want to do it.

What's the logic behind Nintendo not wanting to sell something that "costs them pennies to make", though?

-They don't like making money
-They like making their fans angry
-They want to create collectable
-They want _____?

I just don't know. They were accused of faking inventory shortages for the Wii, Switch, NES Classic, and now the SNES Classic. No such claims were made when they released the WiiU, DS, and 3DS. Maybe demand just beats supply sometimes. In the case of the Switch (for example), it's launch numbers are right in line with other recent console launches. Why single Nintendo out as withholding hardware?

With both the PS2 AND PS3, I couldn't get my hands on a console for months. I settled for competing systems (Dreamcast and Xbox 360, respectively) until I could get what I wanted. There were no conspiracies or intended hardware shortages. I just knew the devices I wanted were in demand and I would have to wait.

I don't have an SNES Classic but I'm confident that I'll be able to get one at retail for $80, eventually.

I'm in europe, but here I've actually seen tons of them in store. I've yet to see steady Switch supply around here (although when I saw the snes minis they had two Switch systems as well, wich was the first time I'd ever even seen one in the wild), so it's not like Nintendo producs just sit around unsold either.
They must have shipped ample supply.

From what I hear, in japan they get regular, sizable shipments to stores, but sell through them too quickly to have them sitting on shelves for long.

Medisti said:
sethnintendo said:

But, what does that have to do with walking into a store and finding Switches and not SNES classics? They could make ten million and if ten million buy it, it'll be sold out just the same. And, from what I'm hearing, it sold well over a million in its first month in NA alone.

Where did you hear that?