By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is "other" in Euope chart and why is it so biased toward 360???

Looking at the Europe/others chart http://vgchartz.com/ehweekly.php it's broken down by:

Uk

France

Germany

Spain

Italy

"Scandanavia" 

Australia

"Other Europe"

Now in most of these territories PS3 is doing very well or has already surpassed 360, but there is another, "other" where 360 does very well, both lifetime and weekly, and also accounts for a lot of systems, 1 million, 3 times more systems than 360 has sold in say, Spain, Italy, and many other countries.

So err, what is this? I assume first, it's not in Europe else it would be captured by Europe others, so..?

My main guesses are South Korea and Taiwan contributing the most. Both should have pretty good markets and favor 360 due to those countries not liking Japan. Still it doesn't seem enough..any ideas? "ioi"?

Around the Network

Taiwan??? when did Taiwan become part of this?

they are mostly Asian markets. These specific markets are known for liking PC games (world of warcraft, everquest and the likes) Thus making it more logical they like X360 above the ps3 (Wii isn't even officially released there). There is also no loyal fanbase there located for Sony, so this is pretty much an equal and untapped market where the x360 has successfully tapped into.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

"Due to those countries not liking Japan."

Is that statement more, or less racially loaded than "Europe doesn't buy the 360 because it's American?"

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:

Is that statement more, or less racially loaded than "Europe doesn't buy the 360 because it's American?"

Well, South Korea and Japan are err, "competitive" same definitly for China. But I am pretty sure China has no real console market?

What about, New Zealand (should be PS3 country tho) Russia, Singapore, Mexico, Middle East?

I cannot see all these countries adding up to much though..

they are mostly Asian markets.

Interesting, but what Asian markets by name though? I can see Hong Kong selling a few consoles..but, say, Vietnam?

There's India, but again I dont think they amount to anything console wise. 

Around the Network

SONY fan boys 360 rules in China with 1,5 billion people ( :( just kidding )

wish some time China market grow faster than now....

are you talking about
''Other Europe''..?

cause that should of course mean other countries in europe not already mentioned like the Netherlands, portugal, Belgium, Greece and others all put together in Other Europe

that makes sense

''Hadouken!''

starcraft said:

It's not a racial issue, it's a national one. And loaded or not, both those statements have a kernel of truth.

Europeans typically favour Japanese products over American, as they are generally considered to be more reliable.  And Japan has made a lot of enemies among it's neighbours.

I think Im gonna make a thread titled "why is america so biased against the PS3!?!?!".

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

rukusa said:
I think Im gonna make a thread titled "why is america so biased against the PS3!?!?!".

It currently has very few exclusive games compared to Xbox 360 and Wii, and its multiplatform games are often cheaper, better or both on their other systems. It is also more expensive than the others. To a neutral and unaffiliated party, it is therefore often a less appealing option that the others.

The question is, why is Europe so biased towards the PS3? If the console looked, acted and was priced the same as now but had the name "Dreamcast II", it wouldn't have sold anything at all. This proves it is brand loyalty that causes people to purchase the device. Sony/Playstation brand loyalty is stronger in Europe than North America. This accounts for much of the difference in markertshare.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.