By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is "other" in Euope chart and why is it so biased toward 360???

Game_boy said:
rukusa said:
I think Im gonna make a thread titled "why is america so biased against the PS3!?!?!".

It currently has very few exclusive games compared to Xbox 360 and Wii, and its multiplatform games are often cheaper, better or both on their other systems. It is also more expensive than the others. To a neutral and unaffiliated party, it is therefore often a less appealing option that the others.

The question is, why is Europe so biased towards the PS3? If the console looked, acted and was priced the same as now but had the name "Dreamcast II", it wouldn't have sold anything at all. This proves it is brand loyalty that causes people to purchase the device. Sony/Playstation brand loyalty is stronger in Europe than North America. This accounts for much of the difference in markertshare.

It's not all brand loyalty.

Let's just say that in Portugal, there are stores where the 360 just isn't up for sale (and never has been). Wii games often cost 60 € instead of 50 € as everywhere else. I don't know if the same thing happens in Spain and Italy, but Nintendo and Microsoft really have to get better distributors here (if they care).

This causes some people to import 360 and Wii games from abroad, mostly UK. The ones who don't care just buy a PS3 or put up with inflated prices and late releases. Oh, almost forgot - Sony is starting to dub some PS3 games to Portuguese. If this situation continues, Sony will most definitely entrench itself here.

PS: More 360/Wii advertising would also help them by the way.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Just wanted to mention that I live in Greece which is a very small market. The console representatives and video game stores are denying any proper announcement about sales.
Does this happen elsewhere and had it caused problems to the analysts of Vgchartz site?

wii number: 8166 7045 0170 7783 (don't forget to inform me if you add me)

Game_boy said:
rukusa said:
I think Im gonna make a thread titled "why is america so biased against the PS3!?!?!".

It currently has very few exclusive games compared to Xbox 360 and Wii, and its multiplatform games are often cheaper, better or both on their other systems. It is also more expensive than the others. To a neutral and unaffiliated party, it is therefore often a less appealing option that the others.

The question is, why is Europe so biased towards the PS3? If the console looked, acted and was priced the same as now but had the name "Dreamcast II", it wouldn't have sold anything at all. This proves it is brand loyalty that causes people to purchase the device. Sony/Playstation brand loyalty is stronger in Europe than North America. This accounts for much of the difference in markertshare.

I actually wrote that sentence with a subtle underlying tone of sarcasm targeted at the OP's need to make this thread.

Im more than aware about the situation in the US. Im here often after all observing the sales figures along with other members.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

rukusa said:
Game_boy said:
rukusa said:

I actually wrote that sentence with a subtle underlying tone of sarcasm targeted at the OP's need to make this thread.

Im more than aware about the situation in the US. Im here often after all observing the sales figures along with other members.

Yeah, but the lack of spelling, punctuation or grammar caused me to think you were serious about your statement, an irrational 360 fanboy and a troll. Those features of our language really do help to let you get your point interpreted as intended.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Other markets would include:

South America
South Korea
China/HK
Taiwan
India
Middle East

Here's the breakdown by country using Mygamercard.net registrations as a good idea on how many users are in each territory vs. a larger, more notable territory:

Country MGC UserbaseKnown Userbase 
 Canada 100,122 1,000,000 (est)
 Japan 54,904 596,195 (VGC)
 Hong Kong & China 13,289 
 South Korea 12,170 
 Taiwan 7,297 
 New Zealand 4,565 
 Singapore 4,195 
 Brazil 3,662  
 South Africa 2,545 
 Columbia 1,735  
 Chile 1,296 
 India 702 

Total: 51,546 

So we can assume a few things:

At a minimum, the said markets have sold atleast 550,000 Xbox 360s, provided the Broadband/XBL attach rate is the same. However, I sincerely doubt this - Countries like Brazil, South Africa, Columbia, Chile and India aren't really known for high broadband penetration rates, and the ratio might be a bit better on their side (and likewise, Japan is one of the highest countries for BB penetration)

And there are many other countries that could have Xbox 360..

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
Game_boy said:

Yeah, but the lack of spelling, punctuation or grammar caused me to think you were serious about your statement, an irrational 360 fanboy and a troll. Those features of our language really do help to let you get your point interpreted as intended.

Next time you might want to consider that some people dont have english as their native language. Especially before you go off insulting people for it.

but it seems more like you couldnt handle my "joke" and threw a fuss about it.

In any case,* I dont need you to lecture me. Especially since the message eventually got through.

*random comma btw.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

terrellowens said:

My main guesses are South Korea and Taiwan contributing the most. Both should have pretty good markets and favor 360 due to those countries not liking Japan. Still it doesn't seem enough..any ideas? "ioi"?

Are South Korea and Taiwan counted under others? I know Australia is... but I don't think Asian countries are.. and if they were, I don't think they would be especially interested in Xbox 360.. its dead in Japan and getting to be so in Europe as well.

Saying the xbox360 is dead in Europe right now is like saying both the ps3 and 360 are dead in the NA market, which is far from the truth. Unless the 360 starts selling under 30k, its far from dead. One thing is for sure, PS3 is kicking ass there! =D

Also, part of Asia are considered in the others market, which ones? I don't know.

Played_Out said:
starcraft said:
"Due to those countries not liking Japan."

Is that statement more, or less racially loaded than "Europe doesn't buy the 360 because it's American?"

It's not a racial issue, it's a national one. And loaded or not, both those statements have a kernel of truth.

Europeans typically favour Japanese products over American, as they are generally considered to be more reliable. And Japan has made a lot of enemies among it's neighbours.

You are kidding me right? People, have you BEEN to China, Taiwan or even Korea? or even know anything about their consumer behaviour to make that statement?

none of the country on that list dislike Japan as a whole, they might have some hatred in the older generation (60+) but those people are hardly those buying consoles.

Why 360 is beating PS3? Piracy issue. you can mod your 360, you can't mod your PS3. Go to China and check it out. nobody buys full priced games. And frankly, can you blame them? GDP of $3000 per year and you are expecting them to pay 60 bucks a game?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Tuanniez said:
Saying the xbox360 is dead in Europe right now is like saying both the ps3 and 360 are dead in the NA market, which is far from the truth. Unless the 360 starts selling under 30k, its far from dead. One thing is for sure, PS3 is kicking ass there! =D

Also, part of Asia are considered in the others market, which ones? I don't know.

Hmmm... if you go to the Other tab at the top of this website, it lists the major European countries, Other Europe, Australia and just "Other." I dunno, it seems like those countries would be South American.. since only US and Canada (Mexico?) are included in American sales.

I know 360 isn't dead in Europe.. but its getting that way. Its finishing last every week....