By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gabe Newell's $5.5bn net worth puts him in US' top 100 wealthiest

Zoombael said:
@Newell

Fuck you too you fat fuck.

Yikes...

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Is that money just from Valve? Seems kind of crazy if so, didn't realise Steam was THAT big!

Most of that money is likely in Valve stocks. Ie. let's say Valve is worth 10 billion, GabeN owns half of Valve so there's 5 Bn right there.

Ka-pi96 said:
Teeqoz said:

Most of that money is likely in Valve stocks. Ie. let's say Valve is worth 10 billion, GabeN owns half of Valve so there's 5 Bn right there.

I realise that, but that's still a much bigger value than I would have expected from Valve. Wow!

It is a lot, and it'll likely only grow. Steam is a gold mine.

Fuck him and fuck Steam. It's the worst thing that exists on PC and that includes, Windows, Origin and Uplay. And the main reason for that is that they rather collect money than spend a single cent on improving the platform. So fuck you for hording money you asshole.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Half Life 3 confirmed?

Around the Network

Damn and he hasn't even made Half Life 3 yet.

Teeqoz said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Is that money just from Valve? Seems kind of crazy if so, didn't realise Steam was THAT big!

Valve is a private company though.
If Gabe wanted to, he could take Valve public, and probably increase his net worth by a factor of two or more.

Though he would lose a lot doing so.

caffeinade said:
Teeqoz said:

If Gabe wanted to, he could take Valve public, and probably increase his net worth by a factor of two or more.

Because Valve doesn't release their financial reports, it's tough to say what Valve would be worth, but Forbes apparently put it at 10 Bn. I know I'd buy Valve stock if it went public though...

Teeqoz said:
caffeinade said:

Because Valve doesn't release their financial reports, it's tough to say what Valve would be worth, but Forbes apparently put it at 10 Bn. I know I'd buy Valve stock if it went public though...

If Nintendo can be worth forty somthing billion; Valve could be worth twenty billion, easy.

caffeinade said:
Teeqoz said:

If Nintendo can be worth forty somthing billion; Valve could be worth twenty billion, easy.

Like I said, we have no data on how much money Valve really makes, so it's tough to say. Nintendo on the other hand has enormous, still untapped, potential when it comes to leveraging their IPs to make money. They have just started getting their toes wet in the mobile market, once they dive in for full, and the money from the super succesfull Switch starts flowing in for completely, not to mention that they're about to start a subscriber based online service, they'll be making billions (plural) a year in profit. It's tough to say how Valve stacks up compared to that, because Valve is so tight lipped with their financials.