By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has numerous million sellers this year, but none are on 3DS.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Shaunodon said:

SNES is about the only one it's close to, but how many big titles did that get after the N64's launch year?

Did you even read the comment? They just said what games released that year. Donkey Kong Country 3, Super Mario RPG, Harvest Moon and Kirby Super Star.

The 3DS sold way, way more than the SNES, so it's not "the only one it's close to". It BEAT It.

By the way you said : "3DS isn't as successful as any of those systems you're talking about"

Well they said Wii U, "Xbox systems", SNES, and mentioned the N64's first year.

3DS is more successful than SNES, Wii U, and N64 so you're way off.

Did you bother reading my comment properly? I don't know why I would bother, you seem to have a running problem with this. I clearly asked what games released after N64's release year.

As for "3DS isn't as successful as any of those systems you're talking about":

I'm not sure if you're just being pedantic over this, or if you actually thought I meant that literally, as in every single system he mentioned, but I'll specify- I was only referring to the systems he mentioned games releasing late for, those being SNES, GB/GBA and I had DS in mind though he never mentioned games for it, so I was technically wrong there.

Clear now?

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

Did you even read the comment? They just said what games released that year. Donkey Kong Country 3, Super Mario RPG, Harvest Moon and Kirby Super Star.

The 3DS sold way, way more than the SNES, so it's not "the only one it's close to". It BEAT It.

By the way you said : "3DS isn't as successful as any of those systems you're talking about"

Well they said Wii U, "Xbox systems", SNES, and mentioned the N64's first year.

3DS is more successful than SNES, Wii U, and N64 so you're way off.

Did you bother reading my comment properly? I don't know why I would bother, you seem to have a running problem with this. I clearly asked what games released after N64's release year.

I'm not sure if you're just being pedantic over this, or if you actually thought I meant that literally, as in every single system he mentioned, but I'll specify- I was only referring to the systems he mentioned games releasing late for, those being SNES, GB/GBA and I had DS in mind though he never mentioned games for it, so I was technically wrong there.

Clear now?

The first one was definitely my bad. But I don't have a "running problem with this" - the second part is your fault for not using specific language. I mean, I barely know you and you're new to this site, so definitely odd to try to pin it on me like some running gag.

Besides, I *agree* with you that the system should stop support sooner rather than later. Your comments just had very questionable language. Maybe work on that next time and people won't misinterpret them

3DS is more successful than SNES

I actually disagree. Sales figures, IMO, isn't the correct baromter for judging the success between SNES and 3DS. Being old enough to remember the SNES era, it was HUGE. 3DS had no where near the impact the SNES and even the Genesis had during that time. If you polled the average person in say 1997, they'd know what the Super Nintendo was. Poll the average person in 2017 and they probably won't know what the 3DS is. 

A few other factors:

1.A 26% growth in world population from 1997 to 2017 

2.Gaming not being as accessible in the 90's due to high cost. SNES launch msrp of $199 equals $365 in adjusted inflation in 2017. The games weren't cheap either, I specifically remember Donkey Kong Country being around $70 at launch which is $130 with inflation. 

3.Nintendo handhelds always sell more than their adjacent home consoles. Game Boy outsold NES and SNES, GBA outsold GC, DS outsold Wii etc;

4.Cheaper, and several different versions of the 3DS/2DS, whilst the SNES only got the mini version and it was VERY late in it's run. I believe the 64 was already out by then IIRC. 

5.Pokemon 

Shaunodon said:

Clear now?

The first one was definitely my bad. But I don't have a "running problem with this" - the second part is your fault for not using specific language. I mean, I barely know you and you're new to this site, so definitely odd to try to pin it on me like some running gag.

Besides, I *agree* with you that the system should stop support sooner rather than later. Your comments just had very questionable language. Maybe work on that next time and people won't misinterpret them

Ok. Sorry.

Already let my dinner get cold, missed start of the rugby, and this isn't really something I wanted to start a long debate over anyway.

Glad we cleared that up.

PortisheadBiscuit said:

I actually disagree. Sales figures, IMO, isn't the correct baromter for judging the success between SNES and 3DS. Being old enough to remember the SNES era, it was HUGE. 3DS had no where near the impact the SNES and even the Genesis had during that time. If you polled the average person in say 1997, they'd know what the Super Nintendo was. Poll the average person in 2017 and they probably won't know what the 3DS is. 

A few other factors:

2.Gaming not being as accessible in the 90's due to high cost. SNES launch msrp of $199 equals $365 in adjusted inflation in 2017. The games weren't cheap either, I specifically remember Donkey Kong Country being around $70 at launch which is $130 with inflation. 

3.Nintendo handhelds always sell more than their adjacent home consoles. Game Boy outsold NES and SNES, GBA outsold GC, DS outsold Wii etc;

4.Cheaper, and several different versions of the 3DS/2DS, whilst the SNES only got the mini version and it was VERY late in it's run. I believe the 64 was already out by then IIRC. 

5.Pokemon 

I mean...I don't disagree with that necessarily, but that's all semantics. The point was never to have a discussion about which system actually carried more weight, just the one that garnered more sales. You're using a different, albeit more precise perameter, but the point was never really about being detailed in the first place.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

Ok. Sorry.

Already let my dinner get cold, missed start of the rugby, and this isn't really something I wanted to start a long debate over anyway.

Glad we cleared that up.

Oh shit man! You waited for me to reply on this?

Here I am getting back after eating McDonalds Chicken Strips, watching South Park and sitting on the crapper, and I go and spoil someone's dinner x-D

Sorry man. Go eat!

PortisheadBiscuit said:

A few other factors:

5.Pokemon 

What poll? What group? How many people? I'm curious

Roar_Of_War said:

Mario and Luigi, Samus Returns and Mario Party might reach 1 million. My bet is at least one of them will. 

Neither Paper Jam nor Star Rush broke a million so I find it unlikely that a remake and a Mario Party that doesn't even have boards will do better. These are also the third games of their series on 3DS. Metroid wont be suffering from franchise fatigue atleast but the series has never been the greatest seller. Apparently it did decently in NPD, so if any Nintendo game (other than US/UM) has a shot at 1 million, then yeah it's Metroid.

Shaunodon said:

Ok. Sorry.

Glad we cleared that up.

Oh shit man! You waited for me to reply on this?

Here I am getting back after eating McDonalds Chicken Strips, watching South Park and sitting on the crapper, and I go and spoil someone's dinner x-D

Sorry man. Go eat!

haha I wasn't waiting that long, I was just checking back periodically.

It was having to double-check my writing/info while also in a hurry and trying not to miss anything important.

When Nintendo said that they were going to keep supporting the 3DS, I was a bit worried that this would also mean new AAA games (like Pokemon). Luckily, they're only releasing remakes and minor games for the system anymore, which I'm totally fine with.