By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Breath of the Wild's sound track lackluster?

Not a single Zelda game since the snes has lackluster soundtrack, quite the opposite, this is no exception, is just a very different one from what we are used to but is completely perfect creating the mood it tries to evoke.

Around the Network

I'd also point out that sound design and music arrangement are closer than they've ever been in BotW, creating a musical score that feels like part of the natural world. It's quite a feat, in my opinion.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I'd also point out that sound design and music arrangement are closer than they've ever been in BotW, creating a musical score that feels like part of the natural world. It's quite a feat, in my opinion.

Exactly. I think that a song like the classic "overworld" theme from Zelda series would have not place in this game, for example. I'd say that this Zelda game is more about survival. BOTW's Hyrule is probably the most dangerous, treacherous Hyrule in the entire series. You're constantly in danger, you're constantly looking for resources to survive, there're dangers in every corner. So I think it's fitting that the OST ditched the more bombastic themes, and went from a more ambient soundtrack. It's calm when it needs to be calm (for example, in the snow locations). It's not there when it wants you to focus on the environment sound. It's bombastic when it needs to be (fighting a boss, or Hyrule Castle, for example). It's more light-hearted and relaxing when you're in villages, which are kind of safe places to be. I think that the attention to detail is unparalelled in any Zelda game. I love how the OST changes when you're solving a dungeon. I love how it's constantly changing to make you feel exactly what you feel in each location. I'd say that BOTW might be the best OST ever made.

BOTW soundtrack is absolutely terrible.

The way to judge a games OST is how many songs you can hum from it 5 or 10 years down the road. I guarantee you not many in BOTW wil be among them - if any. A ton from OoT will stick with you.

BOTW is not catchy and thats what matters. It's ambient music and I hesitate to call that music at all. Nothing in BOTW compares to Gerudo valley, hyrule field or kakariko village in Oot when it comes to how catchy they are.

I mean....  from a volume stand point, I guess.  But its perfect.  I have never once thought it needed more music.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:

The way to judge a games OST is how many songs you can hum from it 5 or 10 years down the road. I guarantee you not many in BOTW wil be among them - if any. A ton from OoT will stick with you.

BOTW is not catchy and thats what matters. It's ambient music and I hesitate to call that music at all. Nothing in BOTW compares to Gerudo valley, hyrule field or kakariko village in Oot when it comes to how catchy they are.

I guess that's a valid opinion, but not every soundtrack needs to be catchy to be good. That seems like a fast-food approach. OSTs must be about making you feel what you're going through. But, well, I can understand that doesn't work for everybody. 

mZuzek said:
contestgamer said:

I'm so sorry for you.

You didnt refute anything I said. Tell me is BOTW music as catchy as OOT? No, then case closed.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Well said.

Nothing really stuck so I guess it was meh for me in my experience.

Great game, but never noticed or thought about the music, interesting comparisons from past zeldas though.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Thats the problem. The music should be orchestral and stand out from the world.