By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR Turns One: One Million Gamers And Counting

RolStoppable said:
habam said:

The PSVR has no real competition though. Most people dont own a PS4 and a High End Gaming PC. So for most of the 60mio+ people that own a ps4, the psvr will be the only choise anyway.

Strong competition on PC would still be good to boot cross plattform software output. It wouldnt cut psvr sales but increase them even further.

If you say so, umpteenth account of JNK/gamemaster87.

sorry what?

Around the Network
Conina said:
habam said:

do you think the average human/gamer would see any diffeence in "one million plus" and "almost two millions" ? - Yes, the average human sees the difference between one million and almost 2 million.

A million sounds like alot, doesnt really matter if its 1, 2 or 5 million. - Of course it matters, especially in a new market, where all eyes are watching about success or failure.

Everybody that has no idea about video game system sales just doesnt care. Go to the street and ask random people how many ps4's got sold by sony. You can even go to gamestop to make sure the people you ask are at least gamer. You will most likely get results from thousands to billions just because 99% of the gamers have no clue whats "many".  Im pretty sure outside of video game sales communities and really hardcore forums on the internet, nobody cared about that 1 mio statement at all.  - Then why make a lowballing statement at all?

A million sounds to the just as much as 2 or 5 millions do for the vast majortiy of the people.  - No.

This was no analyst briefing but a marketing trailer to the average people. More then a million just sounds great and "almost to million" wouldnt change anything and would likely not sound as good. Thats most likely it. - Nevertheless many analysts observe official statements like this one and take it into account for their next analysis.

From a marketing perspective, "more then XX" does in most cases sound better then "almost 2XX", because "more then" indicated that they have exceeded their expectations and "almost" that hey havnt reached their goals. - Bullshit.

Just compare it to other stuff you might not be as dedicated to.

Like phones. Do you know how many iPhones apple has sold? Or how many phones samsung has sold? 50 Mio? 100 Mio? 500 Mio? Would you really care about the difference in an advertisement? - Yes, it's no secret. They tell use the numbers every quarter.

Or cars. How many cars has Toyota sold last year ? A million? 10 Million? 50 Million? Would you care about the difference in an advert? - The number of cars Toyota sold is also no secret. In addition, cars are no new market... their usefulness doesn't have to prove itself anymore.

you didnt got the point. Go outside your home and ask 10 strangers about those numbers, nobody will tell you anything close to the real thing. promise. Because nobody cares.

If you dont believe my statements, just test it.

RolStoppable said:
habam said:

sorry what?

You need to step up your game.

your wrong though, we can bet about it as much money as you want ;)

RolStoppable said:
habam said:

your wrong though, we can bet about it as much money as you want ;)

Ach wirklich?

Natürlich gerne ;) 1000 € Wette?

RolStoppable said:
habam said:

Natürlich gerne ;) 1000 € Wette?

I would, but you are dishonorable, so it's all moot.

you would lose 1000€ ;)

Around the Network

A million sounds like alot, doesnt really matter if its 1, 2 or 5 million.

And the Wheel SPIIIIINNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Let's take our minds off the sales data for a minute. Do you think the product is good enough at this juncture?

Azelover said:

A million sounds like alot, doesnt really matter if its 1, 2 or 5 million.

And the Wheel SPIIIIINNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Let's take our minds off the sales data for a minute. Do you think the product is good enough at this juncture?

The sales are fine imo. Comparing it to other new techs its not selling much worse then eg. the first iphone in its first year.

Quality whise, PSVR / VR in general is by far the best way to play videogames in 2017 imo. Im not bothering playing much without anymore. Even lower budget games like Farpoint with the aim controller are much, much better then playing some million dollar games like destiny 2 on a flat screen

Thats my opinion but  basically everybody that actually tried my PSVR has the same opinion. So I think the problem with VR and sales is more related to many people havnt tried it yet and just dont know what awesome tech they are missing out. With more and more VR headsets getting sold each months, we will have more and more people that get the chance to try them (because a friend or family member got it) and sales will raise exponential. 

SvennoJ said:
Chrizum said:

Yeah those commercials really don't do it for me.

It's personal preference of course, but I have fond memories of playing Borderlands, Gears of War and Diablo couch co-op with a friend, drinking a beer, eating snacks, talking and making jokes. VR would really dampen the fun. It's more of an isolated experience where you want to get immersed in the game. But then the graphics are just way worse in VR.

It's just not there yet. Maybe in 5 years.

VR is not a replacement for traditional gaming, it's an altenative.
I play mostly in VR nowadays, yet for example it will never replace fplaying Donly Kong Country with my wife on the snes mini.

The graphics are not a hindrance to get fully immersed in games. RE7 and The Solus project are two full games that have me so absored I don't even notice the lower quality after getting into the game. Dirt Rally and DC VR takes about 5 minutes to forget about how gorgeous GT Sport looked in 4K HDR playing it right before going back to VR.

Star trek Bridge crew was a very social experience, tons of fun playing with other people online that you can actually see sitting next to you in game, their movements mapped in real time, you can look at eachother, check if they pay attention, use sign language etc. You could ofcourse do this locally as well if you have the money for a second headset and platform (it's cross play, so any headset works)

I've never had graphics let me stop me from getting immersed in games. The real immersion breaker in VR atm is games that don't allow full motion and force snap rotation. And roomscale isn't for me, I rather sit comfortably on the couch instead of stumble around the room with a headset on. Superhot VR is the exception and sometimes it makes certain boss fight easier (Jack in RE7). Yet playing a long RPG while standing all the time, no thanks.

Star Trek Bridge Crew sounds interesting, I may need to check that one out. Haven't played RE7 in VR yet as well (I myself don't own VR, my nephew does), so I might have been playing the wrong VR games. I did notice the colors and resolution (or general sharpness) to take a huge dive in the games I played though. I kept thinking "this would be amazing on more powerful hardware". This all reminds me I should meet up with my nephew more often

I really want to try this eventually. Too bad I haven't seen any store demos or whatever.

Chrizum said:

Star Trek Bridge Crew sounds interesting, I may need to check that one out. Haven't played RE7 in VR yet as well (I myself don't own VR, my nephew does), so I might have been playing the wrong VR games. I did notice the colors and resolution (or general sharpness) to take a huge dive in the games I played though. I kept thinking "this would be amazing on more powerful hardware". This all reminds me I should meet up with my nephew more often

Does he have a ps4 pro? It helps a lot with RE7 for sharpness. Ofcourse it's still limited by the headset. The Sharpest looking experience is the Joshua Bell VR experience, free download. Most games aren't optimized for the pro though, the audience simply isn't big enough yet. You forget about the low res after a while, but you'll need to more play time than 10-15 minutes.