By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I played both Forza 7 and GT Sport today....

Chris Hu said:
DonFerrari said:

Said easy not easiest... but you lost your case when putting that FH is close to simulation of FM and admitted that you use most of the assists because of control.

But guess what pretty much everyone that has actually ever played a Forza Horizon game would agree that it is closer to being a sim racer then a arcade racer.  Especially the games on the X1 since all the cars are upgradable and tuneable. 

I absolutely love FH3, but you'd have to be drinking to think it's closer to a sim than an arcade racer. NFS Underground 2 has cars that were tunable and upgradrable, doesn't make it a sum.

O.P. I've played quite a bit of both demos aswell. Forza is good. It looks good, it has an impressive car and track list, and it plays well. GT Sport has a smaller car and track list, but looks better, has better ai, and to me plays better.

Unfortunetly, FM7 isn't actually much different than 6, but has some less than appealing monetization polices. 

Oh, and did anyone else notice you can go to the manufacturers websites from inside GT Sport?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Chris Hu said:

But guess what pretty much everyone that has actually ever played a Forza Horizon game would agree that it is closer to being a sim racer then a arcade racer.  Especially the games on the X1 since all the cars are upgradable and tuneable. 

Being closer to a sim than to an arcade is so much different than you initial claim on this... Yet if you also say most people play with a lot of the aids active then they doesn't even can see the difference in the first place.

Worse yet is calling the game easy...

And even worse, lap times are so much fucked when you use aids. There were laps in GT6 that I had to take out even ABS to be able to shave the last .1s but that is probably because I'm not that good. I sweat a lot to have all golds, can't understand how people can even do 5s faster in track. Funny is that sometimes I do the lap thinking I done my best but still end up shaving like 3s I thought was impossible after like 1h or 2h racing on it.

Have played the GTS for over 10h already.

The game is as easy or hard as you want it to be.  Its in the top 1% of all games when it comes to overall customization options.  There are eight different AI difficulty levels and that AI also slighty varies depending on what track you use.  Overall the AI is slightly harder in the career mode compared to free play mode but that difference isn't as noticable as is was in FM5 or 6.  You also have six different camera angels and you can adjust the overall stability of the camera.  Plus it has more tuning and upgrade options then pretty much most other racing games.

SvennoJ said:
shikamaru317 said:

Didn't know that you could play a wet track in the challenges, will try that tomorrow. 

I'd have to do some testing to answer your question properly since I only did a few short races today. I can confirm that some tracks are day only, some are day/night only or day/wet only, and some have day/night/wet options. Afaik only the tracks that have all 3 options have dynamic weather and time of day if you do a long enough race, but like I said, will need to do some testing to confirm that, maybe the day/night only ones also have dynamic time of day and the day/wet only ones also have dynamic weather. I know I did a race already in the campaign that started dry, then rained some, then the rain stopped and the track dried some before the end. I have heard you can do a proper 24 Hours of LeMans using the dynamic cycle, but I'd have to test that as well. 

It's the second rally challenge, very slippery. It looks amazing on a HDR tv with wide color. Graphics do help to keep trying for the gold lol.

Anyway sounds confusing those options. GT Sport seems restricted to certain times of day as well, in the demo at least. Granted those are the ones you would likely pick anyway, yet why not start my race at 12:34 if I want to :) I unfortunately don't have the time and patience anymore for a proper 24h race, hence it would be nice if there was the option to reduce that to 1 or 2 hours. I guess neither have that option this gen so far.

In the FM7 free play mode you can have timed races that last up to 4 hours.  

When I read things like these..... I just see how "soft" gamers have become these days.

Call me crazy, but I miss the days when certain tracks, races and cars in GT were hidden behind a license class. You could only get those licenses from completing the required practice tests.... and damn... those things were hard.

And yes, you literally had to know a track forwards, backwards and by heart..... fuck racing assists.

People always say that GT is a true sim and Forza is a Simcade. I never understood that because in the previous games (i havnet played GTS) they play very similar to each other. Forza does have more options to make it more casual if you decide to play it that way. Other than that, the cars handle very similar. Same with sound, both FM7 and GTS capture the sounds from the actual cars with both companies tweaking it to there likings.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
SvennoJ said:

It's the second rally challenge, very slippery. It looks amazing on a HDR tv with wide color. Graphics do help to keep trying for the gold lol.

Anyway sounds confusing those options. GT Sport seems restricted to certain times of day as well, in the demo at least. Granted those are the ones you would likely pick anyway, yet why not start my race at 12:34 if I want to :) I unfortunately don't have the time and patience anymore for a proper 24h race, hence it would be nice if there was the option to reduce that to 1 or 2 hours. I guess neither have that option this gen so far.

In the FM7 free play mode you can have timed races that last up to 4 hours.  

Yes, but can you make it so 24h pass in game while doing a 1 to 4 hour timed race. Driving tons of laps in static or real time progression is a little too real for me. For me the sweet spot is a 45 minute race, starting at 5pm game time, through the night, ending at 9am ish. Time doesn't progress so fast it feels rushed and the race is just long enough to feel epic without getting monotonous. Make it 90 minutes for the Nordschleife cause that track is epic by itself. (plus that's only 11 or 12 laps)

Intrinsic said:
When I read things like these..... I just see how "soft" gamers have become these days.

Call me crazy, but I miss the days when certain tracks, races and cars in GT were hidden behind a license class. You could only get those licenses from completing the required practice tests.... and damn... those things were hard.

And yes, you literally had to know a track forwards, backwards and by heart..... fuck racing assists.

Ha they do make you lazy. I went back to DC wondering why the suggested gear indicator wasn't flashing before the corner.
GT4 full Nordschleife run license test was damn hard at the time, one wheel in the grass, immediate DQ. No rewind, no penalty, just game over, try again.

VR makes you lazy too, braking points feel natural while in GT Sport I have to spot markers by the track again to fine tune braking.

Btw I thought it was a bit ugly at first, screen edge darkening when a car is in your blindspot / next to you out of view, but online it really works. Subtle enough not to be too distracting, but also clear enough in your vision to automatically pay attention to without having to divert your eyes. You can also switch to radar view to keep track of other cars yet the darkening edges are very good indicators while keeping your eyes on the road ahead. Very useful when stuck inside the pack. Not all assists are bad, good way to replace peripheral vision you normally have in RL (and VR)

Normchacho said:
Chris Hu said:

I absolutely love FH3, but you'd have to be drinking to think it's closer to a sim than an arcade racer. NFS Underground 2 has cars that were tunable and upgradrable, doesn't make it a sum.

O.P. I've played quite a bit of both demos aswell. Forza is good. It looks good, it has an impressive car and track list, and it plays well. GT Sport has a smaller car and track list, but looks better, has better ai, and to me plays better.

Unfortunetly, FM7 isn't actually much different than 6, but has some less than appealing monetization polices. 

Oh, and did anyone else notice you can go to the manufacturers websites from inside GT Sport?

I notice their museum and site.

Also on the comparison, the guy already confessed he plays on with a lot of aids enabled so he basically put simulation on FH3, FM7 and GTS on similar level.

Chris Hu said:
DonFerrari said:

Being closer to a sim than to an arcade is so much different than you initial claim on this... Yet if you also say most people play with a lot of the aids active then they doesn't even can see the difference in the first place.

Worse yet is calling the game easy...

And even worse, lap times are so much fucked when you use aids. There were laps in GT6 that I had to take out even ABS to be able to shave the last .1s but that is probably because I'm not that good. I sweat a lot to have all golds, can't understand how people can even do 5s faster in track. Funny is that sometimes I do the lap thinking I done my best but still end up shaving like 3s I thought was impossible after like 1h or 2h racing on it.

Have played the GTS for over 10h already.

The game is as easy or hard as you want it to be.  Its in the top 1% of all games when it comes to overall customization options.  There are eight different AI difficulty levels and that AI also slighty varies depending on what track you use.  Overall the AI is slightly harder in the career mode compared to free play mode but that difference isn't as noticable as is was in FM5 or 6.  You also have six different camera angels and you can adjust the overall stability of the camera.  Plus it has more tuning and upgrade options then pretty much most other racing games.

Yes I know GT is as easy or hard as you want, and can be made even harder by choosing worser and worser cars to drive.

Haven't found a hard AI in GT but as already defended in a post in VGC a long time ago, for this type of AI to make it harder is quite easy, make the AI do record laps flawelesly and you will have a pretty hard time winning.

I'm yet to see how the adjustment of the camera defines a simulation. As Svennoj put, anything outside of racing from inside the cockpit defeats the purpose of simulation.

Intrinsic said:

Yep, I would always start (after GT2, I was like 15 when I played GT1) on the licenses to clear content and prizes. It is strange to be allowed to use Formula level cars without doing even the equivalent to class C license.

On the assist, I liked the line assist showing breaking point and best course on the track, but one could say I got dependent on it. On GTS seems like the substituted it for three cones demarking entrance, appex and exit of the corners.

SvennoJ said:
Intrinsic said:

Ha they do make you lazy. I went back to DC wondering why the suggested gear indicator wasn't flashing before the corner.
GT4 full Nordschleife run license test was damn hard at the time, one wheel in the grass, immediate DQ. No rewind, no penalty, just game over, try again.

VR makes you lazy too, braking points feel natural while in GT Sport I have to spot markers by the track again to fine tune braking.

Btw I thought it was a bit ugly at first, screen edge darkening when a car is in your blindspot / next to you out of view, but online it really works. Subtle enough not to be too distracting, but also clear enough in your vision to automatically pay attention to without having to divert your eyes. You can also switch to radar view to keep track of other cars yet the darkening edges are very good indicators while keeping your eyes on the road ahead. Very useful when stuck inside the pack. Not all assists are bad, good way to replace peripheral vision you normally have in RL (and VR)

the rules on licenses were very rigid. the challenge on GT were much more on gold on licenses and challenges than winning all the championships.... and Nurburgring is always a nightmare for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

On the assist, I liked the line assist showing breaking point and best course on the track, but one could say I got dependent on it. On GTS seems like the substituted it for three cones demarking entrance, appex and exit of the corners.

the rules on licenses were very rigid. the challenge on GT were much more on gold on licenses and challenges than winning all the championships.... and Nurburgring is always a nightmare for me.

I never use line assist, it's too intrusive and distracting. I also turned the corner markers off, didn't see the point of those. I do rely on the braking indicator in GT games. The flashing gear indicator is very useful for timing the actual braking point as it's always a little bit before. Flash flash flash break now kinda countdown, # of flahses depending on the corner. Then after a while it becomes natural.

Ghosts are a double edged sword for me. Useful to see how you can improve, but I always instinctively try to avoid the ghost car. I either have to be behind a bit and observe or see it in my rearview mirror to see I'm doing well. Driving half inside the ghost car never ends well. It's the same with line assist, trying to stay precisely on the line only makes me screw up.

Perhaps VR will get you into the Nurburgring. Actually seeing the elevation changes and severity of corners should help.

Normchacho said:
Chris Hu said:

Actually its easier to make money in Forza Motorsports 7 then it is to make money in Forza Horizon 3 or Forza Motorsports.  This guy breaks down the games economy pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcmoIvg2z_g

Also making money will be a lot easier once the next update comes this Tuesday since it will restore the VIP reward to like it was in previous games.