By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Blizzard ruined gaming, now every game has lootboxes

Ruler said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Actually, it's just cosmetics that don't affect gameplay in anyway as far as Overwatch is concerned. Not dlc that directly affects gameplay. If you really want to be nit picky then sure, one skin per year gets locked behind a paywall but apart from that... I still prefer overwatch's method.

"-Blizzard has made enough money from charging for online in world warcraft, hearthstone or the 60$ price tag of overwatch. Poor poor blizzard, its not as profitable for them."

Ok? What does that have to do with anything? You do realize every company does dlc or micro-transactions or lootboxes right regardless of how well some of their games have done before right? I mean heck, uncharted 4 has both micro-transactions and lootboxes even though the franchise has been widely successful lul.

"-There are tons of games having microtransactions where everything is for free without lootboxes."

Huh? That doesn't make any sense... If a game has micro-transactions... Clearly not everything is free...

You seem very tilted lmao. Did Blizzard kill your dog or something? Companies making dlc/micro-transactions/updates instead of using those resources towards a new game isn't a Blizzard issue, it's an industry issue since we see many companies do it including Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft/EA/WB/etc...

Yeah but guess whos most  lazy one with producing new games? From 2004 they only released 7 games okay. I am pretty sure the game list is massive for Nintendo, Sony, WB or EA during the same timeframe. Its quite redicolous how Blizzard has 10 times more revenue than Capcom, while Capcom has brought 50 times more released games than blizzard on the table, and most of them are good if not even better than Blizzards 7 games.

So in the end it all boils down to "boohoo Blizzard has a better business model than Nintendo or Sony and I really don't like that at all". Suffice to say I do feel very sorry for your loss.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Characters

• Ana
  • Sombra
  • Orisa
  • Doomfist

Overwatch launched a year and a half ago. 4 Characters. Yay. -.-
How many Billions have they made since release? ;

You forget that all 25+ characters have to be balanced between each other. It's not just adding guns and skins to a game. Sully, Chloie, and Nathan Drake all function identically during MP. Only their guns, abilities are custommizable. But Sully and Drake etc. can increase their grenade amount. To do what Overwatch does. Drake would be the only person who can use a rocket launcher. Sully can use a EMP etc. Now balance that towards the other characters. Other games like Battlefront have at what 6 classes? All 25+ OW characters are their own class.

I don't get why people should pay for a Single Player offline lootbox when they already paid for a full priced 60US$ game. I wish games were complete on purchase like they used to be.

archer9234 said:
Pemalite said:

Overwatch launched a year and a half ago. 4 Characters. Yay. -.-
How many Billions have they made since release? ;

You forget that all 25+ characters have to be balanced between each other. It's not just adding guns and skins to a game. Sully, Chloie, and Nathan Drake all function identically during MP. Only their guns, abilities are custommizable. But Sully and Drake etc. can increase their grenade amount. To do what Overwatch does. Drake would be the only person who can use a rocket launcher. Sully can use a EMP etc. Now balance that towards the other characters. Other games like Battlefront have at what 6 classes? All 25+ OW characters are their own class.

The game has sold 35+ million copies, continues to make a profit via Loot Boxes and has probably earned Billions overall.
Balancing was always going to be a "thing" in a game like this, it was aspiring to be an FPS MOBA. - If they are understaffed then that is their own fault and they have obviously got the money to hire more.

And in the end is not an excuse for such a trickling of content.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Captain_Yuri said:
Ruler said:

Yeah but guess whos most  lazy one with producing new games? From 2004 they only released 7 games okay. I am pretty sure the game list is massive for Nintendo, Sony, WB or EA during the same timeframe. Its quite redicolous how Blizzard has 10 times more revenue than Capcom, while Capcom has brought 50 times more released games than blizzard on the table, and most of them are good if not even better than Blizzards 7 games.

I am not excusing Uncharted 4 but again at least it has a big single player campaign. With overwatch the cosmetic items are playing a larger role than in uncharted 4 or other games who have a lot more content than overwatch. For me cosmetic items locked behind a microtransaction sheme is just as bad  as singleplayer microtransctions, espacially in overwatch which doesnt have a singleplayer caompaign.

''Huh? That doesn't make any sense... If a game has micro-transactions... Clearly not everything is free...''

Yeah and neither it is with overwatches randomized lootbox microtransactions, whats your point?

But that's not relevant to anything... Really you are just moving goal posts at this point.

But it does sound like you are giving UC4 more of a pass compared to overwatch or really any blizzard games... Starcraft 2 LoTV has a single player campaign which in length is similar to UC4

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=9154

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=20077

They both have micro-transactions for online but UC4 takes it one step further by also having lootboxes...

Now let me guess what your argument is going to be... It will probably be something like oh but UC4 has better graphics and is more fun for me so it makes it more okay than in sc2 which is just an rts... To which I will say... Sounds like you are bias.

"Yeah and neither it is with overwatches randomized lootbox microtransactions, whats your point?"

My point is... Again... The dlc that affects gameplay is free in overwatch... The micro-transactions are obviously not...

I think this is just going around in circles with a lot of moving goal posts so I am gonna go ahead and probably not reply after this comment. You can have the last word since it's pretty clear that it's less about how blizzard is "ruining gaming" and more about "I hate blizzard cause they molested me when I was younger"

Again look at all the stuff i have listed for Starcraft 2 in order to get all the skin items for your units, they released 2 expansion packs which is 100$ extra in order to play the latest multiplayer in SC2. U4 Lost legacy at least didnt effect the multiplayer, and it also wasnt stripped away content unlike with Blizzard who was demanding an expansion pack for the two other races.

And why are you comparing U4 with SC2 now? And there is no bias for me disliking SC2, U4 seems to be the better value to me and charging less money in order to unlock all the things, it doesnt have lootboxes from looking into it so you just made it up before. 

You dont understand the very deffnition of microtransactions by the way, they include everything that needs ingame currency (Gold and lootboxes in Overwatch) including scins not just pay to win advancements 

Microtransaction is a business model where users can purchase virtual goods via micropayments.

I allready put forward my argument why cosmetics are just as bad as pay to win microtransactions if the game is MP only, but listen to jim sterling if you need another opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTsJZD3YFQ#t=5m07s

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

The game has sold 35+ million copies, continues to make a profit via Loot Boxes and has probably earned Billions overall.

No, it hasn't. 35 million players aren't automatically 35 million sold copies: http://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-breaks-35-million-player-mark/

I'm sure, they included everyone from all those free trials on PC, PS4 and Xbox One in their count.

Pemalite said:
archer9234 said:

Balancing was always going to be a "thing" in a game like this, it was aspiring to be an FPS MOBA. - If they are understaffed then that is their own fault and they have obviously got the money to hire more.

And in the end is not an excuse for such a trickling of content.

They count everything with that number. From free trials to all the people who got their accounts banned from using bot programs. I'm not just talking about balancing. Come up with a character. Now you have to make sure it has counters and weakness. They also have to test the characters weapons and ultimates with each other characters weapons and ultimates. What are the restricting rules. What can they do or not do. Another thing. How long do you think till they have no more new ideas for character types. Orisa herself is already a near copy of Zarya and some of Mercy in function.

Conina said:
Pemalite said:

No, it hasn't. 35 million players aren't automatically 35 million sold copies: http://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-breaks-35-million-player-mark/

I'm sure, they included everyone from all those free trials on PC, PS4 and Xbox One in their count.

Ah. Good point.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--