By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Blizzard ruined gaming, now every game has lootboxes

vivster said:

Remember when Nintendo didn't charge for online? Nintendo doesn't really need loot boxes right now when they just found a brand new avenue to milk their fans. And with the Switch being quite successful right now the next shady shit they do is probably gonna take a while. Nintendo has a different business model. Instead of increasing revenue, they just decrease their costs while keeping their prices stable. The consumer still pays for it though, one way or another.

They may not be YET as shady as other companies but they could get there. They have already decided to do something they never did before with the beloved Zelda franchise: DLC's

So the prices are not stable, they are increasing, the full BOTW game now with the DLC's costs more than any Zelda game before ever did. And that's not even mentioning the fact they put the highest difficulty level for the game behind the paywall.

Around the Network
Ruler said:

Yeah but why wasnt there an upset when overwatch was released from these so called gamers? I certaintly bitched about the price tag and no singleplayer and how it was overhyped by gamers. People literraly have this mentality that Blizzard cant do anything wrong unlike with EA.

I also complained. And people tried to refute those complaints... Mostly using the argument that all of Overwatch's updates and DLC would be free.
Which is fair enough, but... Even after a year all those updates havent provided more intrinsic content than say... Battlefield 1.

There was an Overwatch thread here... Somewhere.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

CrazyGamer2017 said:
vivster said:

Remember when Nintendo didn't charge for online? Nintendo doesn't really need loot boxes right now when they just found a brand new avenue to milk their fans. And with the Switch being quite successful right now the next shady shit they do is probably gonna take a while. Nintendo has a different business model. Instead of increasing revenue, they just decrease their costs while keeping their prices stable. The consumer still pays for it though, one way or another.

They may not be YET as shady as other companies but they could get there. They have already decided to do something they never did before with the beloved Zelda franchise. DLC's

So the prices are not stable, they are increasing, the full BOTW game now with the DLC's costs more than any Zelda game before ever did. And that's not even mentioning the fact they put the highest difficulty level for the game behind the paywall.

You say that as if they didn't ship a full game in the first place. We're talking about BOTW, not Density. DLC isn't required to get the full BOTW experience; it's simply extra, optional content. Just like how lootboxes in Overwatch don't have any affect on the main experience of that game (which is more than worth the price tag).

Blaming BOTW for using DLC just because other games (Density) have made a reputation of abusing DLC is wrong, just like it's wrong to persecute Overwatch for their mostly harmless implementation of lootboxes, just because others have seen fit to abuse the system now.

Ruler said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDGPSWWA18
totalbiscuit agrees with me that it is overwatch who started it

At least you're not the only sharing this false assumption, that's something I guess.

Signature goes here!

RolStoppable said:
Ruler said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDGPSWWA18
totalbiscuit agrees with me that it is overwatch who started it

Aren't you the OP of this thread? If yes, shouldn't it be your goal to provide supporting evidence instead of discrediting yourself?

As if there is anything left to discredit.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I like lootboxes. They really add to rocket league. I'm enjoying the hell out of opening crates in cod4 remastered too. People need to get over them. They're pretty standard and well done in most cases.

Kerotan said:
I like lootboxes. They really add to rocket league. I'm enjoying the hell out of opening crates in cod4 remastered too. People need to get over them. They're pretty standard and well done in most cases.

I realize now why everyone else hates you in this forum.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ruler said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I don't mind having lootboxes in every game.... Assuming they are implemented right...

The reason why I liked and continue to like the way Overwatch has implemented lootboxes is because we get something pretty important in return and that is Free dlc for the life of the game.

You look at how far overwatch has come within a year, we got new characters, new game modes, new maps, new skin and plenty of other new stuff. And most importantly, even though it has lootboxes, getting the skin you want isn't fully locked behind them because as long as you are playing the game, you can get gold as well as free loot boxes with each level up which you can use to unlock them. And leveling up isn't unreasonable and there are also other ways to unlock them such as with every new event, you get a lootbox for free.

The other benefit of Overwatch's implementation is having no segmentation that is relevant to the gameplay. For example, if it had say $15 dlc map pack instead of lootboxes, it would mean the people who bought the map packs would get paired with other people who also did and didn't while people who don't get the map packs get paired with people who don't thus potentially increasing the time it takes to find a match. Basically, people who buy the dlcs will get paired up faster cause they have all the content but those who don't get the short end of the stick and have to wait a lot longer to find a match.

Another example is if they made dlc characters. Now you have people who have exclusive characters who have an advantage over others.

The point I am trying to make is, I personally like Overwatch's system far more than the traditional DLC system cause the system Overwatch uses has more positives in the longevity of the game than negatives imo.

But just like everything, it always depends on the implementation. Saying a game has lootboxes shouldn't mean it is automatically good or bad. The implementation of the lootbox system in the game should be the judge of that. If every game has lootboxes but it was implemented the same way Overwatch did with free dlc for life and a reasonable way to unlock the content behind the lootboxes, then imo, I don't see the problem. But unfortunatly, companies aren't doing it the way Overwatch did and thus, we are seeing the negative sides of it. Doesn't make Overwatch and it's system bad imo, but for me, just makes the games that are implementing it the terrible way bad and shall be on my skip list.

You say that because youre only playing overwatch as your main game, its a fact that getting DLC now takes way more money with these lootboxes than just buying costumes. Do you have a contratc something that Blizzard will continue to give you free DLC? They can just bring it out an expansion the next day, or doing it for their future games.

Starcraft 2 had 2 expansions, 1 story DLC and countless DLC commanders added to it and guess what? Blizzard implenenent the same lootboxes like from overwatch recentley. So you see youre wrong, you give them a little bit and they keep demanding more. They gonna still do DLC, expansionpacks and on top of that lootboxes microtransactions.

But they have been true to their word so far... And By that logic, we can't trust any companies to do anything which makes this thread pointless since no companies really give you a contract about anything they say...

And yea, starcraft 2 has expansions, dlcs and micro-transactions and I voiced my dislike for them... Again, it is not the same implementation as Overwatch.  And it actually doesn't have lootboxes cause lootboxes are randomized while in starcraft 2, You pay for the skins that you want. There is a War Chest thing but that's not a lootboxes thing either cause after you pay for it, you get the skins by playing the game and getting experience but it isn't randomized.

Regardless, I am not defending blizzard. I personally don't like what they did with starcraft 2 but I am defending Overwatch's Implementation cause I think it's the best implementation there is. I got all this content and will continue to get more content without having to pay anything extra like I would if they had the dlc method... Sure, they could change it but so could any other company and at that point, this isn't a blizzard issue, this is an industry issue.

And I don't see how I was "wrong." I am defending overwatch and not starcraft 2 and hilariously, you are the one that's wrong cause sc2 doesn't have a loot box system like in overwatch.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Hiku said:
sethnintendo said:

Yet aren't these players available in the career, season, and exhibition modes?  So they made a few more modes just to exploit these digital cards?

From my understanding, you normally use these players by picking their specific teams. In career mode you can sell players during the season, and buy players from other teams to join yours. However, certain players may not even appear on the transfer market, or simply costs way too much for you to be able to draft.

The players you get from packs I believe are from a mode called Fifa Ultimate Team.
It's more focused on building your own team, allowing you to earn more packs to open, and you can also recruit old legends from several decades ago.

I see.  Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.  I haven't played a FIFA since Genesis days so I'm pretty out of the loop.

Acceptable in F2P games, inacceptable in full-priced purchased ones. About hybrid situations with low-priced games plus microtransactions, lootboxes, etc, I say meh, I don't feel attracted by them at all, I largely prefer a full-priced COMPLETE game, also because I did the maths, and a hybrid priced game can end up costing a lot more than a full-priced complete one, even many times the latter's price.

PS But no, as many others already wrote, I don't blame Blizzard.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!