By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Dark Souls is Not Hard"

So Youtuber Haedox, previously best known for covering Nintendo games, made a Youtube video called "Dark Souls is Not Hard".

The video does have problems ... I think it's a tad awkward how he conveys and ties together the idea that Dark Souls isn't hard, with the idea that Dark Souls isn't about difficulty. It does feel a tad unoriginal ... but that's probably because I'm used to hearing EpicNameBro and Matthewmatosis rant about difficulty for hours  

Either way, I absolutely agree with him. Dark Souls has become known too much for it's difficulty and not enough about what makes it special. Even worse is the comparison that many, many people seem to make between Dark Souls and completely different games. 

Like this GamesRadar+ review of Crash Bandicoot

"But then there's the death. There's just no escaping it, there might be brand new death animations to keep you entertained - oh look I've been swallowed by a lion again - but there's no avoiding that the controls just mean that Crash Bandicoot has become Dark Souls. It's a horrible shame."

It doesn't help that the gaming community has pretty much ran with this. Ignore game design guys, what makes a Souls game a Souls game is it's difficulty! Of course Bandai Namco and even From Software have benefited from playing the difficulty card, so I guess it can't be blamed solely on consumers for taking one thing away from these games. I still though, can't believe we live in a world where comparisons between completely different games is normal.

What do you think of the video though? 

Around the Network

Every fan of the Souls series knows how amazing they are. The hard part are usually just from people who played it for 30 minutes, couldn't get past the first enemies and gave up. Its quite difficult, but its so much more than that.

I played Nioh.... which I assume is very similar to Dark Souls. It's very challenging but using tactics will ensure you success. This should be the same for the Souls series. Haedox makes good points... but I can't stand his videos because his voice is so fucking stilted and he always sounds bored. I want to be able to into them but I just can't.

Smartie900 said:
I played Nioh.... which I assume is very similar to Dark Souls. It's very challenging but using tactics will ensure you success. This should be the same for the Souls series. Haedox makes good points... but I can't stand his videos because his voice is so fucking stilted and he always sounds bored. I want to be able to into them but I just can't.

Yeah, there are a lot of youtubers I want to like but feel divisive about because of their voice and how they deliver stuff (Rags, Downward Thrust, Haedox)

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Smartie900 said:

Yeah, there are a lot of youtubers I want to like but feel divisive about because of their voice and how they deliver stuff (Rags, Downward Thrust, Haedox)

Rags makes good points as well... but I don't like him because he's a complete douche to the people he doesn't agree with and delivers his viewpoints in a slightly condescending manner.

Around the Network
Smartie900 said:

Rags makes good points as well... but I don't like him because he's a complete douche to the people he doesn't agree with and delivers his viewpoints in a slightly condescending manner.

Beyond that, he sounds boring. And his content is stuff you can find on a million other channels.

But when he really went over the line was when he added a dick to his dog avatar. I don't lik staring at dog dick.

Smartie900 said:

Beyond that, he sounds boring. And his content is stuff you can find on a million other channels.

But when he really went over the line was when he added a dick to his dog avatar. I don't lik staring at dog dick.

Holy shit... I just noticed. I wonder who did his art for him.

Well, Dark Souls IS hard, but that's not really the point of the series. It's simply a part of its identity, a small aspect of everything that make the games so rewarding to play. Comparing other games to Dark Souls just because they are hard is completely missing the point of the series, and only really shows a surface level understanding of what they are.

"The industry is darksouling everything nowadays."

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Mar1217 said:
"Shin Megami Tensei, the Dark Souls of Persona"

Next time someone says that crap again, I'm gonna use True Agydine until he burns with nothing left of him :)

But .... what if they said ... "Persona is the Dark Souls of Shin Megami Tensei"