By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - FIFA 18 on Switch accounted for 1% of all UK physical copies sold

UK is Nintendo weakest market and this version is missing a few feautures, but 1% is still a bit low.Hopefully it is not the same in the other territories.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
OTBWY said:
Well, let's be real for a second:

UK is Nintendo's weakest market.
FIFA is by far the mostly sold in Europe, which is again, the weakest market for Nintendo.
Lastly, the dudebro audience are mostly Playstation owners.

FIFA on Switch being the worst selling one out of all current console is not surprising, specially because it's the UK and Nintendo's version is inferior due to all the missing features. I don't think anyone thought it would do well there. But 1% is catastrophic. If the rest of Europe does the same to FIFA, we could be witnessing the start of another "unprecedented partnership" that ends with FIFA 18 being the first and last FIFA on the console, not to mention all other EA games. Japan and US sales won't make up for this at all.

I was fully expecting it. I picked mine up friday, I could already see the stacks of Fifa titles behind the counter. The Switch version was way lower in quantity. The demand simply isn't there. That's why Bethesda is talking about growing a relationship with Nintendo gamers. It is something that needs to grow, a single (lesser) Fifa isn't going to do it overnight.

GribbleGrunger said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

I want a clarification (since I do find it a bit difficult to understand).

Do you mean the poor sales of FIFA 18, or the success of the game itself?

The former implies that Nintendo needs FIFA 18 to succeed, and the latter implies the opposite.

All I'm saying is, it would be nice for Nintendo fans to start buying more multiplats because it means more third party support in the future, but it doesn't matter right now because the Switch is flying off shelves and Nintendo have stacks of exclusives. I would assume that as the Switch starts to sell to a broader demographic, the choice of software will broaden too, giving third parties enough financial reason to fully support the Switch.

Thanks for answering my request for a clarification anyway (even if I noticed what you were trying to say while you were typing it).

In any case, I agree with your sentiment (but I have a vested interest in seeing RPGs and rhythm games succeed anyway, heh).

To add: FIFA 18 Switch ver. is definitely an entry that needs to prove itself first - not in terms of features, but in terms of appeal (it's an entry that is best advertised with demonstration and word-of-mouth). So, its legs will definitely be more of interest to me (though they won't be enough to offset poor first week sales, in this case).

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Ka-pi96 said:
OTBWY said:

FIFA is by far the mostly sold in Europe, which is again, the weakest market for Nintendo.

That's simply incorrect. UK is far from Nintendo's weakest market. PS/Xbox may do better than Nintendo consoles here, but it's still a long long way from being a weak market for them.

Can you tell me which one is weaker? Because if we're talking about the ME or LA, then that's a different conversation.

This is terrible no matter how you spin it. Wonder how EA will react to this, seeing how they already put in significant effort to make a custom version of the game to accommodate to the underpowered hardware in the Switch.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
OTBWY said:

That's simply incorrect. UK is far from Nintendo's weakest market. PS/Xbox may do better than Nintendo consoles here, but it's still a long long way from being a weak market for them.

He probably means that in relative terms.

The weakest market for Nintendo in absolute terms is obviously the Vatican City.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

One must ask the question of how the third party situation will be impacted by other titles doing decently but FIFA not doing so.

I mean true, FIFA has been high on the Eshops in America for a while, same with NBA 2K and the like. But can E.A look at FIFA and see their mistakes instead of the disinterest of Switch users for their game?

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

KrspaceT said:
One must ask the question of how the third party situation will be impacted by other titles doing decently but FIFA not doing so.

I mean true, FIFA has been high on the Eshops in America for a while, same with NBA 2K and the like. But can E.A look at FIFA and see their mistakes instead of the disinterest of Switch users for their game?

Well, Mario+Rabbids doing really well will push other companies to try and get Nintendo crossovers, and also getting more support from Ubisoft. Also, I can see 2K porting XCOM to the Switch, to offer a deeper alternative to the game in a year or two.

Bethesda games getting quite a lot of hype (mostly Skyrim and DOOM, Wolfenstein is still too far) means that they'll probably sell well enough, at least to justify the porting effors. I'm pretty convinced now that Skyrim is going to outsell FIFA by a decent margain.

NBA 2K doing well while FIFA does poorly maybe makes Konami bring PES to the console to throw their hat into the ring, specially when they can promote it more heavily in Japan.

EA might be angry of FIFA's results and decide to cut loses with EA Sports there. It would be sad, but if all EA Sports games are going to be inferior versions of the original games, maybe other companies can try and fill their hole. Besides, who needs regular football when we can have Mario Strikers?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Lol

I thought Switch owners were desperately needing games for the system..... What am I missing?

We reap what we sow