By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - About my Nintendo "hate."

I'm going to say this. If you don't want to believe me, that's fine. I'm here to tell the truth and to be done with this subject; hopefully for good. First, my history with Nintendo. Though, technically my first system was an Atari 2600, the 3rd generation of consoles is when I really got into games. That is the generation with the NES and SMS. We are now at the 8th generation. 9th if you count Switch. 

The Atari 2600 was a hand me down from my older brother. My first system that actually belonged to me was the Sega Master System. I got it at Christmas in 1987 or 88. My memory is a little foggy there. Why did I choose the SMS over the wildly popular NES? Well, I always tended not to follow the crowd. I always pretty much went with what I liked, not what my friends liked or what was popular. I'm still that way.

I had started frequenting arcades in the mid 80s. Games like Double Dragon really started getting me into games. These were a large leap ahead of the primitive 2600. Since the great game industry crash of 1984 took place, I hadn't thought about home consoles much. They had become obsolete and I played my brother's Commodore 64. Well, I stumbled across an article in a TV guide for the Christmas buying season about video game consoles. I was intrigued! 

It covered the NES and SMS. I read about both of them and looked at the screenshots. I thought the SMS games looked closer to the arcade games than the NES. I went on graphics over popularity. I have never regretted choosing the SMS. It had great arcade ports of Shinobi, Thunder Blade, Outrun, Space Harrier, and it even had a port of Double Dragon which I got for free with some promotion! My favorite game ever til this day, Phantasy Star was on it too. 

This all being the case, I did not grow up like most American kids that played NES and Mario. The kids that played NES in my generation passed Nintendo down to their kids and taught them to enjoy Nintendo games too. This nostalgic feeling of Nintendo games, and growing up with, them formed in the USA. So there is now a heavy emotional connection with Nintendo here in the US. Because I did not get an NES until many years later, which I returned because I got tired of blowing in the system and my games freezing, I was immune to the Nintendo Nostalgia. Therefore I can look at them from a completely non biased perspective. 

Now don't get me wrong guys. I have an emotional attachment to SMS and would feel the need to defend it too. In fact I stuck with Sega up until the Dreamcast. I stayed loyal until the end. Therefore I understand the attachment that Nostalgia gives. When Sega quit making consoles, I switched to Sony, since they were my second favorite. 

Anyway, I see all the wrongs from the game companies. I have a strong sense of right and wrong. The only real wrongs I've seen for PlayStation are the early abandoning of the Vita and the fairly hi PS2 failure rate. My first PS2 died in days. I got another one and never had a problem again. The Vita thing is bad and I've mentioned that here. Microsoft has done worse. They abandoned the original Xbox too quickly and forced publishers to switch to the 360 too quickly. This is after Microsoft said that the original Xbox had upgradable architecture. I almost bought an Xbox! Then they rushed the 360 out so quickly that it had the highest failure rate of any system ever, to my knowledge. The RROD nightmare. I heard of ppl going through 2 and 3 Xbox 360s and even more. There was a class action lawsuit that forced MS to extend the warrantee on the 360. Lastly, there was the XB1 wrongs. They tried to kill used games, forced the Kinect on ppl and said that it would be an integral part of the XB1. Integral? You guys know how that went. I think Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg are lying. I don't have proof, but I don't trust them. And now there is a 1st party game drought that not even the Wii U faced. 

Now, before I list the Nintendo wrongs I want you guys to know that I have bought and highly enjoyed some Nintendo systems. I have owned the SNES, Gameboy Advance SP, GameCube, DS, and a Gameboy player for my GameCube. I especially enjoyed the SNES. Nintendo was at it's prime then, in my opinion. GBA was my second favorite. 

Nintendo's wrongs are around as bad as Microsoft's in my opinion. I have already written off MS and Xbox. I have never owned an Xbox, and I never will. Please read and understand what I'm saying here and quit thinking of me as a hater. I just hate wrongs that are done. Is that not a good thing, guys? 

Okay, here are Nintendo's wrongs. Please don't hate on me. This stuff is the truth. Think past the nostalgia. In the NES days, Nintendo had ruthless policies with 3rd parties, in the USA at least. They would not allow 3rd parties to release their games on the NES if they released their games on any other system. I also think (I can't remember) that they took a large percentage of the game profit. Like higher than usual today. They were and still are highly snobish with their IP. I understand protecting IP, but they push it to an extreme. You can find lots of non profit fan made games for Sega for example. There are many Sonic fan made games and Streets of Rage. Sega seems to have no problem with this. They seem to appreciate their fan's efforts. In fact Sega hired some of them like Christian Whitehead to head up Sonic games like Sonic CD HD and Sonic Mania. Nintendo on the other hand punishes the fans and makes them take down the fan made games and projects the fans worked so hard on. If they were for profit, I'd understand. Furthermore, I just read today that they are not allowing live streams of gameplay. Why? 

I watched a video or two about how Nintendo sends free games to video reviewers. There is a catch. They will only keep sending the games and keep you as a Nintendo partner if you give their games good reviews. So if someone thought Breath of the Wild was only a 5 out of 10, for example, they could terminate the partnership even if the reviewer was giving their honest opinions. This is how  it was explained. If true, that is corrupt guys! I don't see why anybody would just up and kill their Nintendo free games coming to give a mediocre score. 

Oh to Virtual Console. I thought it was a great idea! I really like retro games. It was going so well at 3 VC games a week on average on Wii. Then support suddenly started dwindling. 1 game a week. No game some weeks, then months. What a waste of great potential! Now VC is barely supported on any Nintendo System and there may be no VC on Switch.

Now are the recent things. Switch peripherals are ridiculously priced. Their poor support of Wii U is apparent. They abandoned it too early at 4 years, in my opinion. I think any system should be supported for 5 years at a minimum. Even the Vita is still going to some extent. The reason that the Wii U had so few games in the last year is obvious to me. Notice how the Switch has hit game after game coming? I think Nintendo neglected Wii U for Switch development. Yes, this has worked in Nintendo's favor. It was the right business decision, but is it right for the 13 to 14 million Wii U owners? I don't think it is. I think business and morals can go hand in hand. Couldn't Splatoon 2 and Mario Oddeysey have Wii U releases and keep Wii U owners supported for a 5th year? 

Just a day or two ago, I read that the Wii store will be abandoned in early 2019. For some odd reason they will not allow any more Wii points to be added after late March, 2018. What is the point of keeping the store open til 2019 if you can't add any money many months before? I had planned on getting a used Wii U and slowly purchasing Virtual Console Wii titles for many systems. They are kind of high priced and would take much more than March of next year for me to be able to buy all the games. After the Wii, there were only Nintendo VC games supported. I want classic Sega Genesis, SMS, Neo Geo, and Turbo Grafx 16 games. I don't they should close it at all. At least not for a long time. There are around 115 million combined Wii and Wii U owners that could still purchase games for years. This also may send a signal for Sony and MS to abandon old stores too. I'm still slowly purchasing PS1 classics for my PS3. 

I I don't hate Nintendo, just dislike a lot of what they are doing. They seem too greedy even for a corporation. Why can't fans make games or live Stream them? Why do they tend not to drop game prices like other companies do? Why does a pro controller cost you a paycheck? OK I'm over stating that. But you get the point. I feel like they are taking advantage of your nostalgia instead of rewarding you guys that are fans. I feel that they are attempting to write some wrongs like rereleasing the NES mini and releasing more of the SNES mini, but they have a long way to go. 

In conclusion, I'm not the hater you guys think I am. I'm not lying about it. I am older, and I have the maturity to research and see what they are doing behind the scenes without the nostalgia factor. I care about other ppl. That's why I don't call out individuals and attack them. I don't want any corporation to take advantage of me or you. If Sony starts trying to rob us blind, I will call them out. If they shut down the store on PS3, I will be quite upset. They don't really have PS1 classics on PS4 like PS3. That is a third Sony wrong that I forgot to mention. Thanks for reading. 

Around the Network

Wow, I truly am telepathic. I knew it was you before I even opened the thread, again!

Will read later

Tagging. I need to be in a comfortable chair to read all that. Same with the lovely new Vita article on the front page. My ass hurts. Hurts from this chair.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Mate just chill, and enjoy consoles, who cares who makes them aslong as they have great games. Ive owned every console(major) since Psone except gamecube. Ive enjoyed hundreds off games from sega,ninty,sony and microsoft. Surely you would rather choose a console based on what it offers you and your family rather then what names is on the lid?

I've seen you on a couple of forums around here and you've always seemed to have outspoken opinions. Due to this nature... you should only view your contributions to this site as opinions. You don't need to overexplain why your opinion on a certain brand, console, game, etc. is valid since what information you're providing is based off of personal viewpoints. I saw some of the comments directed towards you on some of your forums and I think they're a bit too harsh towards you as a person. However... just because you see a person who challenges your point of view doesn't necessarily mean that they don't respect your opinion. Considering the fact that you were able to find out about VGChartz and post regularly enough to the point where you were well known shows that you have a passion for playing video games. The whole point for this site to exist is to share your personal viewpoints on gaming and what you love about video games with other members of the community. Disagreement is a central part to this site and is important to keeping discussion alive. It would be incredibly boring if everybody had the same opinion. I've been rambling for a while...but my main point is that you don't have to apologize or justify for your opinions. Everyone who voices their opinion deserves to have it seen with equal respect and no one should have to regret stating what they truly believe.

Around the Network

If Nintendo is a "greedy corporation," what the hell does that make Sony? Sony isn't even a true gaming company. I love how Nintendo always seems to be the one to get crap over every little thing, yet people act like these mega corporations Sony and MS are somehow innocent or noble. Between Sony's $600 consoles, $60 per year online services, the insane amount of DLC/Microtransactions, emphasis on being an "entertainment" machine rather than games, MS with its excessive DRM they tried to push with XB One, RROD with 360, PS2's fragile nature, etc.. Obviously Nintendo is not perfect but Sony and MS are FAR from perfect. Each company has its share of "wrongs" but at the very least, Nintendo offers cheaper prices and more durable hardware overall and for my money anyway, offers much better games as a whole at the same time. And no, it's not just "nostalgia." Is 80's - 90's Nintendo better than current Nintendo? Probably, but even current Nintendo still reigns over most other "AAA" stuff in terms of quality IMO.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

*sigh* I just knew who it was....

Video Games.

OTBWY said:
Video Games.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Look, ultimately the fact that you even have to defend yourself in the first place speaks for itself. You come on these forums, you rag on Nintendo - usually with poor arguments or things that are simply wrong. You only do it to Nintendo, and then you get upset when people think of you as a biased jerk who hates Nintendo. No matter how many times you simply say you aren't a hater - consistency speaks volumes. And just repeating "No i'm not, no i'm not" is not a good counter-argument.

My biggest problem with this essay is that you say a lot of things about Nintendo that are obviously wrong on Nintendo's part, that most people - even Nintendo fans - would probably agree is shitty, and then you use that as a basis to excuse your criticisms on this site. It doesn't, most of this stuff you've literally never talked about before and a lot of it is stuff that happened in the past. It's trying to gain ground by talking about completely different topics.

But I will say this. I have been toxic towards you and the past, and I would like to apologize about that. I would also like to say that if I, or other users are causing you not to want to come on this forum because of it, then I am sorry. But ... this is VGChartz, most people have the self-awareness and mentality to have their opinions checked and their viewpoints challenged. If you don't want to be a part of that, then maybe dial down on the posts you might not want to be challenged. Think to yourself "Do I really want to write this? Do I really want to get flak for this"? I can understand how it feels to feel like there's a witch hunt against you. But at the same time ... jesus dude. You should not be this insecure about your opinions and you should not be this shaky at arguing over the internet. Arguments over the internet are natural and debate is fine. Sure most of these discussions have been less than formal but it's kind of what happens when you say plainly wrong or bewildering things in a very ignorant-seeming way. You honestly seem to lack maturity in any sense of the word. I mean, I do too, but I don't pretend to be mature.

I was originally going to write an essay about how wrong a lot of what you said is ... but then I realized that was counter-productive to what I wanted my point to be :

It's a website. It's a video game website. It's a website where the userbase specializes in arguments. If i've made you disliked this time on your website, i'm sorry. But don't expect opinions to go unchecked. And happy gaming!