By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to make a wii-like controller for the 360...

Around the Network
kn said:
This is classic Microsoft. They don't really innovate much. They just copy and dominate. The interesting point here is that I've played first person shooters on my Wii and I have to admit that the Wii controller is the best I've ever used for shooters. This could be great... Wii-like controller but with next-gen horsepower for great graphics.

There is a big problem, though... Add-on peripherals have a serious problem gaining market share. In order for this to work, MS would have to sell the controller and include some games and patches for existing games. If they released a wii-sports like game and included it along with a patch to make Gears, the Halo Trilogy, COD4, Bioshock, and Mass Effect work with the controller, I suspect they could sell a boat-load of them. They would also have to provide a robust tool-kit to allow developers to use with games in development. Finally, they should provide a financial incentive to every game manufacturer to release a patch to make the controller work.

If MS reaches at least 50% saturation in the console install-base they WILL attract developers.

Heck, I'd buy one if they did all above. Knowing MS, however, with their propensity to nickel and dime people to death, they'll include a small and simple game with it and leave it to third parties to develop software. There won't be an install base so third parties won't spend the time or effort to do it (or do it right) and it will fail.

I would disagree I still like my 360 controller for shooters! is ms dev. motion sensing and IR or just motion sensing!

because they would need IR also for aiming! like a light gun.

kingofwale said:
Nintendo Zealot said:
Million said:
Since when did motion sensing become synonymous with the Wii (K, proly since it's launch but that's beside the point)

The technology has been around since forever so I believe anyone should be able to make use of it.

It is obvious that Sony tried to copy Nintendo because it was a last minute feature that they tacked on poorly. It was really stupid to sacrifice rumble for a lame version of motion sensing.

purely speculation at best. Where was the incentive for Sony to copy Nintendo at that time?

Probably he same incentive of adding rumble, two analog sticks, more shoulder buttons to their controllers and the likes.

Tilt sensors was last minute. I still remember the controversy at E3.Sony approached Incognito 10 days before E3 and told them to implement motion controls into Warhawk to present it at E3. A lot of fanboys used the fact that they were rushed at the last minute to defend the unresponsive controls at the conference presentation.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Implementing this controller now would be a colossal failure in my mind. Putting it in now, in my mind, wouldn't result in a high attach rate, which results in no support, and a big waste of money. I think that if they wanted a motion sensing controller, then they should wait until their next console.

However, if they did want to implement it now, then they should pack in a controller with some small scale games like the arcade pack, that uses this new controller and maybe with a points card (maybe 400 points) or a month of gold, and hope it sells.

izaaz101 said:
Implementing this controller now would be a colossal failure in my mind. Putting it in now, in my mind, wouldn't result in a high attach rate, which results in no support, and a big waste of money. I think that if they wanted a motion sensing controller, then they should wait until their next console.

However, if they did want to implement it now, then they should pack in a controller with some small scale games like the arcade pack, that uses this new controller and maybe with a points card (maybe 400 points) or a month of gold, and hope it sells.

I agree, MS probably cant get this off the ground at the moment, the backlash from Wii owners and the Media would make it unviable for them, but a form of motion sensetive controller for the Next xbox is a possibility, personally id like to see it next gen for the PS3 and 360, but games should remain as powerfull as they are now and also you should have the option to use it or not, like a comprimise between games that it works with and thoose that it dosent.

Around the Network

to all the people saying sony and microsoft are copying nintendo, just because a system has the same features doesnt mean its copying.

and sony had a motion sensor controller compatible with the original warhawk, back in 1999.

DogWeed said:
to all the people saying sony and microsoft are copying nintendo, just because a system has the same features doesnt mean its copying.

and sony had a motion sensor controller compatible with the original warhawk, back in 1999.

Link please...

On topic, nothing wrong with it, MS needs to jump to the "new gen" :P

The main problem will be the lack of support from the third parties and MS (Like Sony)...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
PS360ForTheWin said:
izaaz101 said:

I agree, MS probably cant get this off the ground at the moment, the backlash from Wii owners and the Media would make it unviable for them, but a form of motion sensetive controller for the Next xbox is a possibility, personally id like to see it next gen for the PS3 and 360, but games should remain as powerfull as they are now and also you should have the option to use it or not, like a comprimise between games that it works with and thoose that it dosent.

I don't think the wii owner backlash would have that big an effect, but the media would certainly roast them alive for switching in the middle of the generation. Assuming the wii "wins" this generation, motion controls would become the new "standard." And no one would really begrudge them for using the winning standard.

And I agree that some games should have an option of using it or not, sort of like how some wii games allow you to use gamecube controllers. The Next XBOX could make use of this BC with the 360 controller, so that they not only offer existing 360 owners a reason to upgrade to the Next XBO, but don't have to do any R&D with 2 new controllers, which would save them money.

Read my original post. If MS were to implement most of what I've stated, the controller would be a hit (assuming it has IR and Motion). Anything less will be epic fail.

How many xbots would buy a $50 controller if it came with a fun diversion along with software to use it with current top shelf games like Halo 3, Gears, Mass Effect, etc. I'd buy one on the spot as I've played first and third person shooters with the wiimote (using IR) and it beats the analog stick hands down... Perhaps if they were to bundle it with a major upcoming game -- like gears 2 -- and make it irresistibly priced (in addition to the game)...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.