By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bloomberg Article "PlayStation Boss Sees Limited Potential for Handheld Gaming"

OTBWY said:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1433208

"Grand Order #1 grossing mobile game worldwide in Aug, dethrones MS in JP"

Anywho, House is right. They are wise to let Nintendo do its thing and forge ahead with their own pursuit in the VR space.

Around the Network
aLkaLiNE said:
OTBWY said:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1433208

"Grand Order #1 grossing mobile game worldwide in Aug, dethrones MS in JP"

Anywho, House is right. They are wise to let Nintendo do its thing and forge ahead with their own pursuit in the VR space.

Is that Sony's game? When I look at their store page it says Aniplex Inc. And Sony is only listed for Japan, so they only publish it?

Edit: Nevermind, Aniplex is owned by Sony Music Entertainment Japan.

Lawlight said:
He's right. Handheld gaming has limited potential in the west. Only Japan values handheld gaming at this point.

No, he's wrong. There's no market for their handheld business model which is a different matter.

Also the main problem of dedicated handled gaming in the west is not a lack of demand, is mostly a lack of offer. Most prominet 3rd party publishers form the west aren't willing to make high quality handheld games, becuase it doesn't fit the AAA business model.

Lawlight said:
KBG29 said:
Wow, what a week this guy is putting together. First he is uncomfortable being the market leader in VR, and now he can't see the massive growth in expanding the ecosystem beyond the home. I think it is time for some new leadership, because Andrew House has already thrown in the towel. If you don't even believe in the product, or have any vision for the future of the brand, what the hell are you doing?

I know I shouldn't be surprised, Sony has been steady as the tide for the 20 years I have been following the company. PS4 and the PlayStation ecosystem is becoming too big for them to handle, and now they will start to tear everything down. The amount of potential that is wasted at this company is absolutely incredible.

PlayStation 4 has provided them everything they need to re-build their entire electronics division, and unify all of their products under a single OS and Store front. If they fail to build a rock solid ecosystem with the hardware, software, and services right in fornt of them at this moment, then they deserve to become irrelevant. I have nearly doubled my money on their stock, but I think it is just about time to find it a new home.

Well, I think there's no point in expanding an ecosystem to service a declining segment.

The handheld segment is not declining though. The unconnected mobile device segment is what is shrinking. Sony and Nintendo are giving players no option but to leave their ecosystem. Sony had the right idea with the 3G Vita, but it was so ridiculously restricted that it ended up dead on arrival. They need to give it another go, but do it right. Give us a Switch Phone and/or a PS4 Phone and sales will blow past PSP and DS in no time flat. Andrew House was correct people want one key device with them on the go, when you offer them no alternative, of course they are not going to buy your non existant product.

The statements Andrew House has made about Mobile and PSVR over the last year, show that he has absolutely no vision. This guy has no ambition to grow the PlayStation business, and no clue how to if he wanted to. That is a terrifying problem when PlayStation is Sonys most profitable business, and their biggest growth driver. Kaz needs to get someone in there that is going to take action, and find something suitable for Andrew "Paranoia" House to do. PlayStation is to vital to sit idle.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

freebs2 said:
Lawlight said:
He's right. Handheld gaming has limited potential in the west. Only Japan values handheld gaming at this point.

No, he's wrong. There's no market for their handheld business model which is a different matter.

Also the main problem of dedicated handled gaming in the west is not a lack of demand, is mostly a lack of offer. Most prominet 3rd party form the west aren't willing to make high quality handheld games, becuase it doesn't fit the AAA business model.

No, there's no market for any dedicated handheld. As I said before, even Nintendo saw the writing on the wall. They released the 3DS at a time where only 35% of the US population owned a smartphone. Now it's 95%. It's no wonder that 3DS peaked in 2011, in its year of release. Different times now. And Japan accounts for 35% of the sales. What does that say about the west's inclination towards dedicated handhelds?

Around the Network

KBG29 said:
Lawlight said:

Well, I think there's no point in expanding an ecosystem to service a declining segment.

The handheld segment is not declining though. The unconnected mobile device segment is what is shrinking. Sony and Nintendo are giving players no option but to leave their ecosystem. Sony had the right idea with the 3G Vita, but it was so ridiculously restricted that it ended up dead on arrival. They need to give it another go, but do it right. Give us a Switch Phone and/or a PS4 Phone and sales will blow past PSP and DS in no time flat. Andrew House was correct people want one key device with them on the go, when you offer them no alternative, of course they are not going to buy your non existant product.

The statements Andrew House has made about Mobile and PSVR over the last year, show that he has absolutely no vision. This guy has no ambition to grow the PlayStation business, and no clue how to if he wanted to. That is a terrifying problem when PlayStation is Sonys most profitable business, and their biggest growth driver. Kaz needs to get someone in there that is going to take action, and find something suitable for Andrew "Paranoia" House to do. PlayStation is to vital to sit idle.

The handheld segment is declining - we're talking dedicated handheld here. And you really think Sony or Nintendo can take away marketshare from Android or iOS? Yeah, no chance that a PS phone or Switch phone can make a scratch in that market. And maybe you're not aware but Sony is getting into mobile games so not sure what statement about mobile you're talkig about.

And where did that PS is Sony's most profitable division? I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Aside from PlayStation Mobile, you're also forgetting PlayStation Vue, the PlayStation Store.

AlfredoTurkey said:
So it's official. After 13 years, Nintendo has vanquished Sony in handheld gaming.

I think they both got defeated by mobile. After all, neither are releasing dedicated handhelds anymore.

Lawlight said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
So it's official. After 13 years, Nintendo has vanquished Sony in handheld gaming.

I think they both got defeated by mobile. After all, neither are releasing dedicated handhelds anymore.

There is the 2DS XL though. That seems to me that they (Nintendo) think otherwise and are still commited.

NATO said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Except sony still make, and sell, millions of smartphones.

They sure as hell dropped off the list of top 12

Must not be too many millions.