By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bloomberg Article "PlayStation Boss Sees Limited Potential for Handheld Gaming"

Wow, what a week this guy is putting together. First he is uncomfortable being the market leader in VR, and now he can't see the massive growth in expanding the ecosystem beyond the home. I think it is time for some new leadership, because Andrew House has already thrown in the towel. If you don't even believe in the product, or have any vision for the future of the brand, what the hell are you doing?

I know I shouldn't be surprised, Sony has been steady as the tide for the 20 years I have been following the company. PS4 and the PlayStation ecosystem is becoming too big for them to handle, and now they will start to tear everything down. The amount of potential that is wasted at this company is absolutely incredible.

PlayStation 4 has provided them everything they need to re-build their entire electronics division, and unify all of their products under a single OS and Store front. If they fail to build a rock solid ecosystem with the hardware, software, and services right in fornt of them at this moment, then they deserve to become irrelevant. I have nearly doubled my money on their stock, but I think it is just about time to find it a new home.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
vivster said:
Soundwave said:

And if Nintendo is already doing it, Sony is not needed. 

The portable gaming market is fragile. Let Nintendo go to work and heal it and try to carve out as much as is possible under the harsh new environment. 

We don't need another predator in an ecoystem where there's barely enough food/water for the one already there. Stay out Sony. Focus on PS5 and Microsoft. 

But but but competition!

Competition is still there.

iOS just got another PS4-port: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-witness/id1230231705?mt=8

Ljink96 said:
Lawlight said:
He's right. Handheld gaming has limited potential in the west. Only Japan values handheld gaming at this point.

Lol, okay.

I hope we all understand Swith is a hybrid. Sure, it's essentially a portable but it's getting games PS4 and Xbox One are getting within the same year. It's a hybrid.

Yeah, and how does that contradict what I said?

Conina said:

Competition is still there.

iOS just got another PS4-port: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-witness/id1230231705?mt=8

Yet Andrew House is blind enough to sit there and say that people chose smartphones as a single key device, and he can't see that the single key ecosystem is next. With Switch helping bring AAA games to ARM, it will not be long until iOS is getting full on PS4/XBO/Switch ports of Madden, Doom, COD, Fifa and much more. When you can get these games for your phone, then go home and play them on your Apple TV, where does that leave PlayStation? With Houses mentality towards PS4, PSVR, and the boarder PS Ecosystem, Sony's days are numbered. It is sad, because they could compete, but they are choosing to roll over and die.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Lawlight said:
Ljink96 said:

Lol, okay.

I hope we all understand Swith is a hybrid. Sure, it's essentially a portable but it's getting games PS4 and Xbox One are getting within the same year. It's a hybrid.

That was my response to the OP, not you. Let's not be so triggered.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Ljink96 said:

Lol, okay.

Ok and? House isn't downplaying the Switch. He's downplaying handheld gaming.

Again, that was my reply to the OP but this still doesn't make sense...switch is part handheld...so. But anyway.

KBG29 said:
Wow, what a week this guy is putting together. First he is uncomfortable being the market leader in VR, and now he can't see the massive growth in expanding the ecosystem beyond the home. I think it is time for some new leadership, because Andrew House has already thrown in the towel. If you don't even believe in the product, or have any vision for the future of the brand, what the hell are you doing?

I know I shouldn't be surprised, Sony has been steady as the tide for the 20 years I have been following the company. PS4 and the PlayStation ecosystem is becoming too big for them to handle, and now they will start to tear everything down. The amount of potential that is wasted at this company is absolutely incredible.

PlayStation 4 has provided them everything they need to re-build their entire electronics division, and unify all of their products under a single OS and Store front. If they fail to build a rock solid ecosystem with the hardware, software, and services right in fornt of them at this moment, then they deserve to become irrelevant. I have nearly doubled my money on their stock, but I think it is just about time to find it a new home.

Well, I think there's no point in expanding an ecosystem to service a declining segment.

Why Andrew House is not poplar like Phil Spencer ?

Sony deal mostly in AAA games to move their consoles. Handheld gamers aren't really interested in AAA games on their devices.

Ljink96 said:
Lawlight said:

That was my response to the OP, not you. Let's not be so triggered.

Uh, you quoted me...