By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid: Samus Returns is FANTASTIC so What's Next for 2D Metroid?

What should Metroid 5 be?

2D 38 26.95%

2.5D 40 28.37%

3D 25 17.73%

4D 38 26.95%

Total:141
mZuzek said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Then don't do it? Seriously your replies are terrible. Some of them on the other pages were equally rude but I didn't feel like pointing them out since this is you and spem discussing. But if you're going to be like that just don't enter a discussion.

Being rude is a way of life.

No, seriously, that's just how it is. I'm not about to enter a serious discussion with someone who comes into a positive thread about Samus Returns to talk about how he's not buying it because it "looks ugly" despite being a "big Metroid fan". That's not what I'm here for, I'm here for nice discussion about nice things, or even a decent discussion about not-nice things which is what was going on with Spencer earlier - it's just, he has a way of dragging these on for way longer than I can bear. Eventually, I'll get tired of reading the longer and longer posts that are just longer and longer variations of the same point, knowing there's no reply I can give that'll make him understand where I'm coming from, so that's how it ends.

Either way, if I wanted to avoid discussions of any kind I wouldn't be in a gaming forum. Just because I suck at it doesn't mean I don't get some enjoyment (conscious or not) out of it.

I genuinely do not know what you want from me. I accepted your challenge to my perspective this whole thread. I've painstakingly elaborated on every point that you questioned. You have not done the same in most of your responses. Contrary to what you suggested, I didn't repeat or reword a single idea unless it was to directly and deliborately revisit a point you failed to take into account in your own response. Every paragraph I've written tackled a unique idea without becoming redundant. None of it was a longer variation or a previous point.

I'm literally responding with my complete and unrelenting respect, even in the face of your blatant disrespect and dissent in response. MTZehvor made a great response with regards to how story was done in Prime, and I conceded because he was right. If I can't understand where you're coming from, it's because you haven't done as good a job as he did in comminicating your point and actually backing it up well. I'm not an impenatrable wall. We disagree, but you don't have to be a blatant condescending jerk about it. 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
spemanig said:

Trust me when i say that I haven't even scratched the surface lol.

I mean, I'm a musician. What SR goes for is almost nothing like prime in most instances. ZM's soundtrack and even AM2R's is. SR's is like, idk, generic orchestration. I don't think limited hardware is an excuse for the Gameboy. I just think M2 was going for a more abstract sound, but what SR does is not that. It's overcompensating with a cacophony of clashing sound fonts to sound cinematic. It really sounds like an incohesive mess in a way that no metroid, even M2, has ever sounded. But the reason why is definitely the sound fonts. This is a common issue with soundtracks like this. They focus so much on the new soundfonts that they forget to focus on fundementals. This is why 8/16-bit music is so often good. Composers don't have enough sound fonts to bullshit.

Not everything is bad though. Just much of it. I have to play again to be sure of the world design. Nothing wrong with the art style though. I really hope this Samus replaces the one currently in Smash for the next one. Only good thing to come out of this game in regards to future games. Give me those big sholders again!

I really don't like the electric sheild. It makes you almost 100% invulnerable since you gain so much aeion after killing any enemy. I don't like the idea of adding puzzles to metroid at all, though. Metroid has until now been a very naturalistic world, meaning that some care has been made to make most of the world feel like it has formed naturally, but SR has a very systematic world, meaning that much of the world isn't trying to hide the mechanics it's trying to trigger. Puzzles are the most obvious example of this. There are very few examples of puzzles in games where they don't stick out. When people complain that a game is too "game-y," this is usually what they mean. It's too systematic. SR has this issue in a series which previously excelled in the opposite.

Cool, I myself am a video game music enthusiast and completly disagree on your statement. 

" It's overcompensating with a cacophony of clashing sound fonts to sound cinematic It really sounds like an incohesive mess in a way that no metroid, even M2, has ever sounded"

In fact, I would go saying that the actual remix does it better than it's older brother. The clashing sound fonts are way more apparent in the SNES ver. 

And for M2's case :

That is what I call "a mess". 

But I'll give you some points when it comes to stuff like Surface of SR388. It sure sounds good though and still keeps that otherwordly feeling it supposed to give like the original, so the job is done. I'm currently backtracking right now so I'll listen more carefuly to see if I hear something similar. But to me, everything seemed okay at first glance.

Then, about the electrical shield, if you don't like it, just turn it off, simple as that :) I don't use it agaisnt bosses. Who doesn't like option ? (RIGHT?!)

Ultimately, I think it the best explanation I could give about your point of view is that your grip and distaste overall with SR is mostly due to it following the trend that has been set since Super Metroid which transforms the franchise into some kind of cinematic "Alien" blockbuster with a gameplay and design that has been tweaked to be more approachable by everyday people while they "abandoned" some of the original aspect that made it into what was originally a Metroid game ?

Can you use links? None of the videos work for me.

I just want to clarify that when I said that I'm a musician, that was only to emphasis that I know what I'm talking about when I say that SR's soundtrack is not like Prime's. Like it structurally has very little in common with Prime's. I wasn't trying to say "I'm a musician, there for my opinion on the quality of this music is superior to yours."

I don't think that much of M2's soundrack is good, specifically the "Deeper" parts, which is what I assume you're talking about. I can understand what you mean when you say it's a mess, if that is what you're talking about, but SR is a "mess" in a very different way. M2 can be atonal. That's what i meant by "in a way that not even M2 ever sounded." SR is just like too many sounds all at once. It's not simple or deliberate. It's overfilled with embellishments and accoutrements. It sounds busy. You know when someone says that a shirt is too "loud?" That's what a lot of SR's soundtrack sounds like. Not melody, counter-melody, percussion, bassline, and that's it like how most music in most metroid games have been done. There's just a lot going on. A lot of effects too, especially reverberation.

The easiest way for me to tell is that much of the original music isn't easily hummable in SR, because there isn't that strong sense of melody/counter/bass. And even when its there, again it's often times obfuscated by all the extra embelishments. You compare how Samus Returns handles it's soundtract to something like Galaxy, and the difference is night and day. Galaxy's soundtrack is far more clear and deliberate because the composer never let's the orchestra run away from him. Every track in that game could be easily translated to a very pleasing, nearly identical 8-bit tune in a way that many of the tracks in SR could not.

I don't like options like this. Not only did I hit the button on accident multiple times, but the bigger issue is that if the option is there and has great utility, it shouldn't be up to the player to decide between having a more meaningful experience or playing the game in the most efficient way possible. Especially because abilities like these offer short term while potentially having a detremental effect on the long term experience. Also, the game is designed around the expectation that players will likely use them. Some enemies only die with the machine gun attack. Some areas hurt Samus unless she uses a sheild. Some hidden areas are far more obtuse to get to than they ever have been before, likely because they know that if a player gets too frustrated, they can always just scan the area. Slow mo... I mean you can avoid some obstacles and run across others. "Optional" needs to be accompanied by big quotes in this case. The game was designed to be most enjoyable when using these abilities.

SR is completely different from Super. It is more different from Super in nearly every way outside of being a different franchise or Other M. If Super is Samus, than SR is the SA-X. Unless you meant that it's NOT following the trend set by Super. In which case... Kind of. It's more complicated than that, but essentially SR feels like it's ashamed to be a metroid game. Like everyday people can't appreciate what makes metroid good, so those things should be abandoned in favor of something shallow that can still make people say that they get it. The thing I hate most about SR is that it worked. I can respect anyone who likes the things in ZM or Fusion that I don't like. I can respect anyone who likes prime better than Super. But it's very difficult for me to respect someone who thinks that Super and SR are comparable even if they think Super is better, because it makes me feel like they literally do not have any understanding of what made that game special. If they did, SR would infuruate them, because it is the antithesis of what that game, and ZM, and Fusion do.

If someone said "I like SR better than Super/ZM/Fusion because of all of the things Spem doesn't like about it. I can see all those differences clearly and I prefer them. I like puzzles, so i don't see them as interuptions. I don't like the naturalistic worlds of prior metroids. I'd prefer a systemic one like in SR. I like exploring in theory, but I don't want to get lost so i don't mind the gating, the fast travel, etc. I like QTEs, so i don't mind the counter system. I like how cinematic the cutscenes are, and if they weren't there, I probably wouldn't pay attention to the environment. I see the Sectors as levels more than a real place, which i don't mind because it's more of a playground for fun obstacles than a living alien planet. Etc etc," I would actually respect that more, because at least they see what I've always seen and are just acknowledging a preference. They see everything in Super/ZM/Fusion and say "yeah, I prefer the very different SR." But seeing so many people like SM because its like those older games, and even seeing many of the responses here feels like people literally thought that this was always what Metroid was, and that I'm seeing something that was never there. Which is insane to me, and very very disheartening, because I genuinely think Super is the most well designed game I've ever played. Likely the most well designed game ever made. I thought that people who liked Super not just felt the same, but more importantly had an intimate understanding as to why, but many of those people are saying that SR is a return to form when it is clearly a bastardization. Or to be actually fair and not emotional, a gross oversimplification of very surface level, first sight, generalizations of Metroid.

I actually felt this way about Sonic Rush as a bringer of bad, and it took Sega 12 years to release another sonic game, 2D or otherwise, that was actually good after that, and only because people started hating the 2D games slowly after that until it eventually resulted in Mania, a sonic game made my fans. I'm actually looking more forward to Metroid Prime 4 than Metroid 5, which to anyone who has read my Super in Metroid series should know, is fucking crazy talk. I would rather play what my worse fear of what Prime 4 is than what my best realistic hope for what Metroid 5 now is. That's how much SR crushes me. Even with OM and FF, I can at least say that they're spin offs. My literal only hope for 2D metroid at this point is for Nintendo to do the same in 12 years, for people to slowly resent this change in direction until a decade of criticism results in Sakamoto giving his baby so someone who isn't ashamed of Metroid, because playing more games like this in the meantime, especially the inevitable horror that will be a post-SR Super Metroid remake, will be too painful to stick around for. I will likely have to stick to fan games and look alikes until that happens. And a lot of writing, because I will not let SR survive without a real dissenting argument of consequence to accompany it. I'm going to Dark Souls II the hell out of this game so I can at least make my peace with this franchise that I love so much and know that I did something.

What's next for 2D Metroid? Nothing good that I can forsee. Not if this is the omen.

I'll read your response, but I'm done with this thread. Thank you to everyone for listening and debating with me.

mZuzek said:
spemanig said:

I genuinely do not know what you want from me. I accepted your challenge to my perspective this whole thread. I've painstakingly elaborated on every point that you questioned. You have not done the same in most of your responses. Contrary to what you suggested, I didn't repeat or reword a single idea unless it was to directly and deliborately revisit a point you failed to take into account in your own response. Every paragraph I've written tackled a unique idea without becoming redundant. None of it was a longer variation or a previous point.

I'm literally responding with my complete and unrelenting respect, even in the face of your blatant disrespect and dissent in response. MTZehvor made a great response with regards to how story was done in Prime, and I conceded because he was right. If I can't understand where you're coming from, it's because you haven't done as good a job as he did in comminicating your point and actually backing it up well. I'm not an impenatrable wall. We disagree, but you don't have to be a blatant condescending jerk about it. 

I already admitted I'm bad at this. If you felt disrespected at any point then I'm sorry, I was always trying to discuss politely in longer posts and the short posts were jabs meant to be taken lightly (and an indicator that I was tired of the discussion). It's just, I can't handle overly negative people (I don't know how negative you are as a person, but good god your opinion on this game is as negative as I thought negative could get, or at least it seems to be from how you word it).

It's okay. I have been very negative with this game, because this game really, really scares me. I will likely never be more negative with any other game than this one because of how much I like this game's predecessors compared to the implications that this game's inevitable success will have on the future of this franchise. I do understand how unpleasant that negativity can be though. I do want to make it clear that I neither think SR is bad, nor can I say that there weren't moments where I didn't enjoy it. I just feel very strongly about this not being the benchmark for future games in a series like this. I think people are so happy that we didn't get Other M 2 that they don't care anymore, or never noticed the difference, and that has caused me great distress since finishing after the reviews and response raised my hopes before playing initially. I went in blind.

I know I said the other post would be my last, but as you clearly chose to be the bigger person here, i thought it warrented a response. I'll read yours if you have one, but this really is my last post here.

spemanig said:

How would you rank the series? I know that ranking can be arbitrary but as someone who's only played Prime 1 i'm curious

Reading the last pages anyone would think the game has been very divisive. Meanwhile 95% of critics and players think this game its awesome.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Mar1217 said:

Well, I know that option offers a more easily playabe experience for anybody, but it just doesn't bother me probably since I'm not a huge fan of the Metroidvania style.

I know the free aiming hinders your ability to move while shooting but it's a necessary  trade off imo to make the combat aspect more enjoyable especially with the boss fights, which would be hardly doable with the older aiming scheme. I mean, it might comes off at the expense of some purist Metroid fans.

If it isn't your type of play, then look after AM2R. Heard it was great, but personally not my cup of tea.

+ I didn't hear you talking about the music, graphics, arts  and UI of SR, how was it ?

The boss fights are some of the best parts of SR, but they are absolutely possible with the older aiming. (some of the platforms would need to change for some of them that are over lava though) But look at fusion. Awesome fights in that game. Best in the series outside of Kraid in Super which is the actual best in the series. Didn't need free-aim at all.

Still trying to play AM2R, but still can't get my controller working.

I don't want to spill everything about my critique lol. Hate most of the music. Previous metroid games, including M2, had simple melodic music that was extremely deliberate. In SR's search for bombast and fanfare, it loses that simplicity and deliberateness in favor of a very busy soundtrack. Busy as in that most tracks have too many different sounds going on at once, making it sound messy. This is an issue that plagues reorchestrations, but what's funny here is that because of how sparse M2's soundtrack is, half of it isn't used and is replaced by a shit ton of original, really crappy (for the most part) music. It also reuses a lot of tracks from Super, which I really hate. AM2R does this too, as well as Prime. It takes what used to feel like area specific themes and turns them into generic "volcano/jungle/water" themes. Not even Zero Mission did this, and literally takes place on the same planet as Super.

Don't mind the graphics, but prefer the 2D art style. Much better than Other M though, so I'll pick my battles there. It's definitely not something I'd criticize the game for. What I don't think i like are how the environments relate to each other because it doesn't feel like a world to me at all. just a bunch or pretty rooms with themes that connect them together. That's actually something I know for a fact AM2R excels at, and something the previous games did well. I'll need to play again to be sure though because something tells me the fact that you zoom past each area in such a curated way has made this cohesiveness less obvious than it actually is.

I don't know what arts are. Aeion you mean? Hate half of them. Don't mind the other half. The map one completely eliminates all sense of discovery. Giving the player the X-Ray scope at the beginning instead would have solved the (bomb every crevice) issue without revealing the whole map. Everything else could have been map stations, which reward exploration with map chunks.

The UI is fine. Is it fine?

Yeah, I think it's fine. I don't like how tapping the screen to ball up feels, but I like that the option exists because it's much better than simply pressing down twice. In the future though, I'd want it to be its own button.

I didn't completely read the post and admittedly I'm not far into SR but pretty much all of the music I remember is just remixed music from Metroid II.

Mar1217 said:
d21lewis said:

I didn't completely read the post and admittedly I'm not far into SR but pretty much all of the music I remember is just remixed music from Metroid II.

In later areas there's some remix of tracks from Super Metroid but the rest is pretty much original

I've played mostly at work with the volume lower than normal so I don't disturb my partner. Didn't realize that until just now. I can't hear shit! I shouldn't have commented on the first place.

Goodnightmoon said:
Alkibiádēs said:

I don't feel the need to buy less than stellar games just so more Metroid games get made. I don't let myself be black-mailed like that. If Nintendo doesn't want to put AAA effort in my favorite franchise then I'll just skip it and play substitutes like Hollow Knight and Steamworld Dig 2. Their loss, not mine. 

A game on weaker hardware isn't supposed to look a lot better, but here we are... 

Here are some screens from Hollow Knight and Steamworld Dig 2: 

So great artstyle = Great game
Meh artstyle = Meh game

Strange logic

Well yes, because Metroidvania games, more than any other kind of games, are dependant on environmental atmosphere to set the mood. I just don't get that with Samus Returns. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

miqdadi said:
Right now I am happy I got this one, and I don't want to spoil the fun but the game will not sell as much as Nintendo hopes so they will focus on prime 4, after that no guarantee for another 2D metroid

Actually i think the game is going to sell a lot better than Nintendo hopes especially after Federation Force besides what makes you think this game will underperform? It was mentioned during 2 Directs i think and had multiple videos uploaded by Nintendo's youtube channel and the Eshop is promoting it on front ever since release and the game sold better at the Japanese market just below Other M. 

spemanig said:

While i understand where youre coming from, this is not my same issue with something like Prime. Prime is different. SR is shallow. Prime is a much better game. SR is a more proper metroid. I'd sooner play Prime.

I don't really get this line, so you acknowledge that SR is a proper Metroid game yet it's shallow and you'd rather play Prime? because SR being a remake of the most linear Metroid game does make it have a huge handicap compared to other games like Super and Prime. I love it but i realise that it's linear and repetitive just like the original.

spemanig said:

No, i want to see a linear evolution of what came before, ideally. That or something of a parelell.  SR is that it is almost exclusively devolutions. Really bad ones that effect literally every facet of the game.

I disagree.

360 aiming - is what really improves the gameplay and should have been implemented a long time ago. Yes, you can't walk but it gives you much more precision whereas back in Super Metroid you can only aim diagonally or vertically where you'd have to jump or duck if you wanted to shoot at the right spot or enemy which can be really tedious.

The melee attack - while i agree that the enemies charge too much it's never forced not even on boss fights and it only makes it better when enemies are too close to shoot down.

scan pulse - some people don't like this because it gives away where hidden items and powerups lie, i agree to some extend but it doesn't give everthing away and after all it doesn't tell you HOW to get to these powerups just a hint that you missed something.

transport stations - i know this is not a first but it's been very well implemented in this game because the original made you run ALL THE WAY BACK to a previously explored area and without a map at that.

aeon abilities - optional goodies there are some moments when you really need them but they're mostly optional and i actually like them.

These are all evolutions i would like to see return to future Metroid games that prevent the gameplay from getting stale.

mZuzek said:

crappy walljumping and easy infinite bomb jumping.

Also, Samus Returns is a remake. Expecting it to bring loads of evolution to the series is setting yourself up for disappointment, it makes no sense. I honestly don't get this notion that nothing can be great if it's not innovating on every aspect of itself, but trying to apply that mentality for remakes is particularly nonsensical.

I disagree with the first part. The walljumping does get some getting used to but it works and you have a 4 bomb limit that recharges pretty fast but it's still not infinite unlike in AM2R.

agree with the last part.

mZuzek said:

I understand why you wouldn't like the counter, since it is a dramatic change to combat, but since combat was actually so irrelevant in previous Metroid games I don't really see that big of an issue. I do think it was poorly used in most boss fights, because then it just triggers long-ass "interactive" cutscenes that instantly wipe out like 50% of the boss's health,

Disagreed.

Yeah it takes away most of the health but you can still keep shooting beams or missiles while the animation is playing and it's not forced at anytime to me it definitely spices up the combat instead of just button mashed shooting and running.

mZuzek said:

"Everything that isn't original trilogy Metroid sucks! Nintendo, give me my Metroid back!"

I'm sorry, but that really is what you sound like at this point. It's obvious the franchise changed direction a good bit, that much was inevitable because it was originally supposed to end in Super, but you sound incapable of accepting any different take on it just because it's different, regardless of it being good or not.

I think this is the problem most old school Metroid fans have, they don't really want the series to "evolve" they just want the same Super Metroid over and over again. Same goes for the Prime fans.

Goodnightmoon said:

Free aim is a devolution? 

I mean its a matter of tastes of course but I think its such an obvious improvement,
I can't imagine a new 2D Metroid without free aim, it would feel like going backwards, in fact one of the few bad things that can be said about a masterpiece like Super Metroid is how unconfortable the aiming was in some situations.

Agreed.

MTZehvor said:

There's a couple arguments that seemed kind of contradictory. Firstly, sure, you can make every cutscene skippable, but if you're trying to implement a story that's basically optional to players having a good time with the game,

Secondly, I'm not quite sure I understand the comments about "dumbing down/hindering" the experience.

I think SR did a great job of showing and not telling or scanning with cutscenes and they were all skippable. Not a single piece of scanning and reading and i skip them after viewing them the second time.

It's not that people don't want to scan it's that if you're going to tell a story by scanning everything then you basically need to force the player to stop, scan everything and tell them everything what's happened or happening by text. It dumbs down the experience because not everybody wants to stop and read they just want to continue playing. I scanned everything in Prime because i was interested in reading about the enemies, bosses and powerups but reading about the lore and the story behind them actually made it boring, why not just show it?

I think this was the main reason Prime 3 went for a more cinematic, voice acting approach and dumbed down the scanning logs.

Pavolink said:
Yes! Samus Returns is sooo good!
And the Chozo Lab music!

Sakamoto is great!

Agreed.

Alkibiádēs said:
I'm a big Metroid fan, but I'm playing Steamworld Dig 2 instead. Samus Returns has terrible graphics and art. I just can't get over that lol.

Worse than Federation Force? I assume you would have preffered 2D sprites because SR's art come pretty close to the 3D Metroid games just in a terrible resolution.

Alkibiádēs said:
Goodnightmoon said:

So great artstyle = Great game
Meh artstyle = Meh game

Strange logic

Well yes, because Metroidvania games, more than any other kind of games, are dependant on environmental atmosphere to set the mood. I just don't get that with Samus Returns. 

Looks close to Metroid Prime in 2.5D and the sense of depth is amazing, is pretty atmospheric even if the artstyle isn't stellar, it also looks way better on a 3.5" screen than on big screenshots for obvious reasons.