By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD Rebrands Crossfire After 12 Years

fatslob-:O said:

NGO and Omega aren't custom drivers compiled from the source code, they're registry tweaks with alternative installers ... (It really isn't what I would call 'work' since no new functionality was exposed before the official drivers released. It's very hard to reverse engineer a driver.)

I have not and am not proposing for full driver rewrites and customization.
So with that out of the way...

I don't think I misunderstood you, it's a bad idea to leave mGPU profiles to the community when only the internal gfx engineers are the ones who understand the issue at hand. MGPU profiles can only improve with interaction between the game developer and the IHVs since they control everything about how the game is rendered, a magic switch in the driver options isn't going to cut it when developers HAVE to use specific vendor APIs to enable mGPU ...

Disagree.
I think you underestimate what the community can do if they were provided with the correct platform, tools and support.
I mean, people customize GPU BIOS's to unlock functional blocks on chips for more performance.

Before DX12/Vulkan, how mGPU worked without a cross-vendor API is that developers would need use proprietary driver extensions offered by the vendors themselves on top gfx APIs such as DX11 ... (mGPU needed vendor specific paths to work)

We are still living in a mostly Direct X 11 and OpenGL world right now anyway.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Right-o. Hopefully this incentivises more powerful single cards, despite just pushing the same task onto someone else.

Pemalite said:

Personally, I think AMD and nVidia should open their drivers up a little... And "Crowd Source" Multi-GPU driver profiles, let the community handle it.

No, the vast majority of the community is absolutely clueless in driver engineering ... (The FOSS community struggles as it is with drivers, let alone the general community.) 

Well Nvidia does not really do much to help the FOSS comunity.

AMD drivers on Linux are pretty good.

caffeinade said:

No, the vast majority of the community is absolutely clueless in driver engineering ... (The FOSS community struggles as it is with drivers, let alone the general community.) 

Yeah, not only are they inferior to Nvidia (from experience...), but they frequently don't even bother to make any - see the recent AMD on Ubuntu 16.04 and later situation (no idea as to other distros, I assume it's a kernel thing though). Meanwhile, You can take an old Fermi video card and it's gonna have either the most recent or a close to driver on Linux.

Going Linux, go Nvidia for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw

Xen said:
caffeinade said:

Yeah, not only are they inferior to Nvidia (from experience...), but they frequently don't even bother to make any - see the recent AMD on Ubuntu 16.04 and later situation (no idea as to other distros, I assume it's a kernel thing though). Meanwhile, You can take an old Fermi video card and it's gonna have either the most recent or a close to driver on Linux.

It is generally accepted that Nvidia are not the people to go to for your Linux driver needs.
AMD actively helps the open source community.
I use a RX 460 on my main Linux box and it works perfectly (using Debain 10).

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nouveau-XDC2017

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Disagree.
I think you underestimate what the community can do if they were provided with the correct platform, tools and support.
I mean, people customize GPU BIOS's to unlock functional blocks on chips for more performance.

I don't undestimate what the community can do, in fact they can't do anything for the most part since the driver and game code is not available for moddification ... 

caffeinade said:

Xen said:

It is generally accepted that Nvidia are not the people to go to for your Linux driver needs.
AMD actively helps the open source community.
I use a RX 460 on my main Linux box and it works perfectly (using Debain 10).

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nouveau-XDC2017

AMD are too lazy and cheap to support anything older than your 460 (or most architectures that are not the latest, or near so) on a recent distro/kernel, meanwhile Nvidia has a great prorietary driver, available for cards as old as the GT480 (and probably older..) from ~2010 IIRC. Nouveau is crap, and perhaps it is so because of Nvidia, but there is no reason at all to go Nouveau when you can go proprietary.

Helps the open source or not, it does not really matter to the average user: Nvidia supports more cards, supports them longer, and does not rely on enthusiasts to do their job. Best case scenario these days - https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx , which misses a huge lot of older cards.

Pemalite said:

Disagree.

I don't undestimate what the community can do, in fact they can't do anything for the most part since the driver and game code is not available for moddification ... 

I realise this. Which I WHY I proposed that tools and a platform be made available to get around that.

Xen said:

AMD are too lazy and cheap to support anything older than your 460 (or most architectures that are not the latest, or near so) on a recent distro/kernel

Citation needed.

Pemalite said:

I realise this. Which I WHY I proposed that tools and a platform be made available to get around that.

Yeah ... 

Tools aren't going to help you with that since you need permission from game developers to make their source code accessible to the public ... (doubt they'd do that since it would give absolutely no incentive to purchase freeware and the amount of users that can benefit by contributing are minimal plus there's not much motivation in contributors in improving the source without financial incentives either) 

We're just going to have to trust that AAA developers will implement mGPU on their end ... (it's understandable why faith in this would be low but I don't think 'crowd sourcing' is the way to go about it but if the worst comes to worst then I guess we should 'crowd fund' the feature for AAA game developers to see how truly valuable it is) 

Pemalite said:

Yeah ... 

Tools aren't going to help you with that since you need permission from game developers to make their source code accessible to the public ... (doubt they'd do that since it would give absolutely no incentive to purchase freeware and the amount of users that can benefit by contributing are minimal plus there's not much motivation in contributors in improving the source without financial incentives either) 

We're just going to have to trust that AAA developers will implement mGPU on their end ... (it's understandable why faith in this would be low but I don't think 'crowd sourcing' is the way to go about it but if the worst comes to worst then I guess we should 'crowd fund' the feature for AAA game developers to see how truly valuable it is) 

*Face Palm* I am not asking for game developers to make their source code accesible to the public.
I don't think you fully comprehend how easy it is to write a new profile.

AMD used to release Crossfire Profiles which were essentially just a bunch of small MST configuration files that essentially just "Plugged in" to the drivers that gave the drivers the appropriate settings to use for the specific game and went away from there.
They ranged from about 4kb to 40kb in size for each specific game.

Even I could write one with minimal effort, it's the testing that would get time consuming... But that isn't an issue for those genuinely interested in such an endeavor, heck just think about the hundreds of hours people sink into modding or building that "one building" in Minecraft.