By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Be Honest: Why Do You Think Switch is a Sales Success Right Now?

Compared to the previous home console sales, absolutely.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network

Good, CONVENIENT concept with the best 1st party games on the market and enough non-1st party games. Most of all, it is the concept, its convenience, and the great games.

Hi

Because is clearly one the best consoles Nintendo has ever designed and has probably the best first year catalogue of the history of gaming.

Based on the VGC figures, Switch is (so far) the best selling console that hasn't launched during the holiday season. I know it's way to early to say, but it's certainly on the right track.

I didn't realize you were looking for something so narrow and i can't speak for the market but 1 thing sold me and that was Zelda. It took me from a "let's wait and see what happens with this console" to hitting Amazon for a pre-order seconds after we saw a proper trailer. I guess my narrow answer would be the software. I really was planning on waiting for a price drop or good bundle deal before buying this system but that Fu*&ing Zelda forced open my wallet.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

This is a good post but I need one thing from you. I need you to point out the single most important factor in your opinion. I understand this may be tough and I think all of your points are excellent but I really need to know which one is the biggest contributor in your opinion.

Your question is similar to trying to separate Wii Remote and Wii Sports and asking what was more important for the Wii's success. A game console is hardware and software, because both are needed to play video games. I don't think your intention is to sell other factors short though, so there's not really a problem.

Since it is the software side of consoles that transcends time, my choice for the single most important factor for Switch's success is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild because it is a crucial piece in more than one way. In and of itself, it is a fantastic game. But in the bigger picture, it signals that Nintendo is willing to listen to consumer demands and make a game like consumers desire. Breath of the Wild stands in stark contrast to Skyward Sword; an open world vs. the most linear Zelda ever made. An open world is what turned The Legend of Zelda into a legendary IP that was deserving of a gold cartridge in the first place.

While Nintendo might not follow through on market desires for all of their other IPs, Breath of the Wild makes the market give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and hand out a vote of confidence with an early Switch purchase. Nintendo didn't expect such a strong initial response, hence why Switch is supply constrained.

I understand the difficulty of my question. And as I said, your points are all very solid. It was just about your opinion on which one thing stands out as, "Nintendo nailed it" or, "Nintendo would not be THIS strong" if they lacked.

I do appreciate your answer. In my opinion, there are many right answers and many wrong answers. As I said in my opening post, I want to read everything you wrote but I just wanted to know on top of all that knowledge you just dropped, which one was most important. This is not to say the other stuff is not important or that I did not want to read it because your answer and posts like it are exactly what I want, in fairness.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

The_Yoda said:
I didn't realize you were looking for something so narrow and i can't speak for the market but 1 thing sold me and that was Zelda. It took me from a "let's wait and see what happens with this console" to hitting Amazon for a pre-order seconds after we saw a proper trailer. I guess my narrow answer would be the software. I really was planning on waiting for a price drop or good bundle deal before buying this system but that Fu*&ing Zelda forced open my wallet.

Well, it is not really narrow. I want and embrace every answer but like I was saying, I just want to know which one of the laundry list of answers that you feel are contributors do you feel is the most important. Really, there is not wrong answer I guess and I want all your answers on top of your biggest reason. It is interesting to learn about how the community feels about Switch, its success, and the contributing factors to said success.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

I would say the games. It started with zelda then got better with spaltoon, mario kart and even arms. soon we have mario and xenoblade. Thats an amazing year no matter whos asking.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

fleischr said:
Its a real break from the tedium of PS4 and X1 that's for sure.

+As powerful as those devices are, they're not as convenient to use as Switch.
+As great as the libraries are of PS4/X1, there's a kind of majesty Nintendo's 1st party lineup has that's pretty much missing from competitors. The exclusive lineup this year is absolutely guns-blazing
+Better marketing and messaging all around made even more positive by outperforming optimistic predictions of the system
+I think there's a large community of gamers that liked the WiiU's games, but held off for this system

The first three points are totally subjective.

The fourth and final point is simply wrong. If people actually showed interest in the Wii U's games, they would have bought one sooner and Nintendo wouldn't need to pull a mulligan on 8th gen.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

GhaudePhaede010 said:

I have a had a couple of back and forth conversations with various people across a few different video gaming sites and youtube pages about why Switch is a sales success. I have heard a lot of different reasons and it seems that after the latest Nintendo Direct, the newest reason being thrown around is because third party support is picking up.

I even saw a video that claimed we should take Switch seriously NOW since that last Direct had DOOM and Wolfenstein 2. I mean, did that first 5+ million in five months mean nothiing? Did everyone decide to sleep on Switch being successful long before either of these games were mentioned? At any rate, I want to know why you think Switch is selling so well. I decided not to include a poll because I did not want to accidentially influence anyone's decision; even accidental.

I would like to keep this conversation civil if possible but I am not a liar and must admit healthy debate is both fun to read and very progressive. I would prefer you give the biggest reason for Switch success and then, if you would like, the smaller reasons that way I can best understand everyone's perspective. Annnddddd GO!

Not sure if you're talking about reviewtechusa's video, where he mentions that more developers should take the Switch seriously by releasing more games on it. But yeah, Nintendo's good marketing is to thank for the Switch becoming a hit outside their main fanbase, plus strong 1st party support.