By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite looks like a mess

So, if you guys are familiar with me, you may know that I'm a big fan of Capcom's fighting games. Now, one of their most beloved franchises is their Marvel vs. series. Now, I've enjoyed every single one of the games from the series: X-Men: Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. I remember going to a movie theatre years ago, seeing Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and being a Street Fighter and Spider-Man fan, being amazed that they were in a crossover appearing in the same game. I don't know if I really have a favourite, and in fact until late last year-early this year I was mainly familiar with MvC1 and MvC3, but I have to say that playing the other games at my uncle's house I really grew to love the games. So, when the game was first released, I really was excited.

However, I definitely should have known, coming from Capcom, that the game would have issues. Right off the bat, I want to complain about the roster. Only 30 characters? While Mvc2 had 56, UMvC3 had 50 (DLC and PS4/XB1) and even vanilla MvC3 had 36? Why does the roster size keep going downward? There's also the problem with the roster itself, considering that Wolverine, who had been in every game beforehand, does not appear in it. I know that Marvel don't have the film rights for X-Men and Fantastic Four, but they should have had him and possibly Doctor Doom for history's sake.

Of course, the graphics were also an issue. If you can remember, Chun-Li looked really strange. However, it was not just her. Chris Redfield and Dante also had strange appearances. Now, I realize that they were fixed, but why show them like that in the first place? Especially when Chun-Li already had a great model in Street Fighter V.

Finally though, the DLC. They announced 6 DLC characters from the get go!! Why? What a way to make me want to buy the game. Well, get go I mean by before the game even came out, not that they'll be there at launch. However, it just shows shades of greed, and knowing that Capcom has a history of re-releasing games, makes me just want to wait for a complete version.

Another issue though is that Capcom these past few years have not brought up a great reputation for themselves. Street Fighter X Tekken had 12, 12, 12, 12 characters on-disc, as DLC!! Street Fighter V also had a very infamous, incomplete launch, which does not instill confidence nor the benefit of the doubt.

Now, the game has not been released yet, so who knows? Maybe it is great? Or maybe we'll eventually get a complete edition that manages to fix most of the issues, while having a much more acceptable roster size? In any case, I do not like how it looks, and I hope that Capcom doesn't strike out anymore times. It seems like we're reaching the ninth inning as it already is.

Around the Network

IT definitely feels off, and I doubt that the people working on it would accept that as a reason if it sells badly.

Also it isn't on the Switch, which is bad.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

The last MvC game I bought was a Japanese copy of MvC2 for Dreamcast that I wanted to play so badly I modded my console to play it (and Sega GT, I was really into racers then thanks to Gran Turismo). It was terrible. Arcades around here had mostly died out so I'd never played the arcade version and had no idea they'd changed the gameplay so much from the awesome awesome MvC1 and XMen vs SF. Never bothered with 3, won't bother with Infinite. Pretty much done with Capcom fighters. They're too greedy. I've been thinking of trying Injustice 2. I mean, a fighting game that is fully featured and content rich at launch, wow what a concept.

I forgot on what site and how I found it, but I read something from a supposed former intern at Capcom (take this with a grain of salt) explaining that Disney told Capcom to leave X-Men and the F4 off of the roster because Disney doesn't own their movie rights, and to emphasize characters that are currently relevant in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Capcom was also told to make Marvel characters look better than Capcom characters.

I believe I remember reading about it on Reddit. I also saw a video on YouTube on it, but I couldn't find it in my watch history. Feel free to take everything in this post with all the salt in the world.

Capcom behaved shady enough with the last one, and now they have to deal with Disney's plans for Marvel.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I'm fully expecting this game to bomb. I love Capcom fighting games like you too but this just feels way off.

I miss the good Capcom fighting games between PS1 and PS2.

The game is fun to play it's similar to TVC and the graphics aren't too much of an issue for me but I will agree the character selection is a slap in the face, is the vendetta with Marvel and Fox that bad that Marvel figured their consumers can now paying the price for their petty disputes?

Seriously keep that silly shit on the movie side of things only please, what is daft is the piss poor PR from Capcom reps trying to manufacture excuses for why the X-men are present and so on because Marvel has them on lock down.

From what I have watched with people actually playing the game, they say its a lot of fun and it more like MvsC2 in play style. Unlike the last game you actually do not die if someone touches you once. As for the characters, yep its political but mostly money. Rights to characters goes beyond just the movies so we are stuck with what we have until the money get sorted.

Without big draws like Wolverine and Deadpool, you just don't know how the game will fair as honestly. Characters can have a lot of pull when it comes to games. I wish it luck but I didn't get the last one, won't get this. I'm a Tekken player so quarter circle fighters aren't my thing.

Also:

No Mutants No Marvel!

Hmm, pie.

I played the demo and agree, but I haven't been big on fighting games since the Dreamcast days with the great Capcom lineups they had over there. I suck at them now, and the demo didn't convince me I needed to play that game.

Plus the roster lineup does bother me. Spamming berserker barrage during local multiplayer will be missed.