By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So GT Sport requires an online connection for a majority of the content, and has no real career mode

Tagged games:

ThisGuyFooks said:
CGI-Quality said:

Cutting off the studio that produces their biggest IP probably wouldn't be the most sound business decision.

What would you do with Polyphony Digital then?

If you were in charge of Sony studios, what would be the most intelligent step to take with a studio like that?

Clearly, they are not making any money for Sony by not releasing anything.

They take WAY too much time in between games, with so little difference between one another.

This game most likely wont fulfil critic expectations, and 99% sure Forza 7 will wipe the floor with it at Metacritic.

The game WILL sell great, but if the series keeps going in quality decline, there will be a time when consumers wont take the bait again for Gran Turismo games.

Personally, i think Yamauchi has to go...like ASAP.

Not so long ago i saw PD studios and that shit makes Naughty Dog Headquarters look like trash, and they are pushing quality AAA games more frequently than them. 

Something has to happen IMO.

The only measure of quality you can use is the useless metacritic right?

As a sim GT is still better than FM. And that is what matters to the most customers that have kept even GT6 at over 5M, while FM needs a lot of luck to even reach that.

And on money scale, a game with 100 people involved getting out every 3 or 4 years and selling near 10M does more or less money than a game with 300 devs releasing every year to 5M sales?

Because the only real solution is increase the PD staff and make better management, but that could as well kill the game... in case you don't know ND also take about 4 years per game. The interval only see smaller because they have 2 teams on paralel.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Drivatars and other ghosting tech of what your friends have done is what makes a real game, not just racing ai. So many dinosaurs in this thread, who don't want features like this in the single player portion of the game. Don't like it, go find an offline racer, if you can find one.

hhmm... that's weird. I mean, it's not going to stop me from buying the game day one, since no other racing game feels as good a GT to play, but I do wish there was more single player content.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Jaxyfoo said:
Drivatars and other ghosting tech of what your friends have done is what makes a real game, not just racing ai. So many dinosaurs in this thread, who don't want features like this in the single player portion of the game. Don't like it, go find an offline racer, if you can find one.

I don't mind keeping GT offline only. But there is a reason for this to be GT Sport and not GT 7.

So they can play GT5/6 that are still good, or play Project Cars or even go to Xbox and play FM.

Just hope the online requirements don't burden the game further the line.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

CGI-Quality said:                                    

What would I do? The game isn't out yet and the IP makes them tons of money. Not a question anyone can answer until things are actually bad. To suggest that Polyphony should be "cut off" is unrealistic and shows a lack in understanding business. Like I said, Sport isn't even out yet. 

Revisit these hypotheticals when we see if any real damage is done due to shifting priorities.

Im not suggesting the studio should be cut off.

And you are right: im 100% basing my worries in hypotheticals. But after reading several negative previews, with most of them complaining about the lack of content, there is a high, almost certain chance that critics will be punishing the game with low scores.

We should wait and see, and maybe revisit this thread after the games release.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
flashfire926 said:

Stop living in the PS2 generation. The age of Gran Turismo is coming to a close, since the studio hasn't been competent since 2004. Kaz should focus on making the game better rather than focusing on all this "gt academy" and fia crap. All he does is tour the world with Sony's dollars. Get over it. It isn't 2003 anymore. Also, DC sold well, and by the end it was a great racing game. Much better than GT sport will ever be.

GT6 released on PS3 as far as I know... GT5 released in 2010 and sold more than 10M (with prologue selling over 5M). No other racing franchise (other than MK) really get anywhere near in sale, so please show your evidence to close the studio.

So a simulation game that is so well done that Academy and FIA is a possibility to get a license is a bad game because?

And good that you already played GT Sport to know it have no way to be better than DC, even though considering the Sim part DC wouldn't be better than even GT4.

What is your point really. Just to take shit at the game you don't like and pretend that is some kind of universal thing?

Did I ever say "sim"? Nope. Even then, Project cars beats it in that category. I said driveclub will be the vastly better GAME than GT sport. That 10M was 7 years ago. Since then GT6 has only got 5M. How do you know it's well done if you haven't played the game yourself? Talk about hipocrisy.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

GT6 released on PS3 as far as I know... GT5 released in 2010 and sold more than 10M (with prologue selling over 5M). No other racing franchise (other than MK) really get anywhere near in sale, so please show your evidence to close the studio.

So a simulation game that is so well done that Academy and FIA is a possibility to get a license is a bad game because?

And good that you already played GT Sport to know it have no way to be better than DC, even though considering the Sim part DC wouldn't be better than even GT4.

What is your point really. Just to take shit at the game you don't like and pretend that is some kind of universal thing?

Did I ever say "sim"? Nope. Even then, Project cars beats it in that category. I said driveclub will be the vastly better GAME than GT sport. That 10M was 7 years ago. Since then GT6 has only got 5M. How do you know it's well done if you haven't played the game yourself? Talk about hipocrisy.

Hm. Gran Turismo 6 sold 5 million? Hm...2013. It released in 2013? What happened in 2013? Hm...ugh.....what was it. Something happened....fuccck.. I can't remember! What was it in 2013? Hmmmmmm.... nevermind, guess it was nothing like coming out the holiday of one of the fastest selling consoles ... 

You know I wish that I could say GT dissapointed me again. But by now I doubt that's even possible. The tracks and environments look bad, hell the whole gamd looks bad except for the cars. GT5 had a butload of content to justify the long development time. But this game has less content than Forza 5 and now also the online only bullshit bandwagon.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

CGI-Quality said:
flashfire926 said:
So this is the the result of four years of work........huh. Sony cut off the wrong racing studio last year.

Cutting off the studio that produces their biggest IP probably wouldn't be the most sound business decision.

At this point the IP is more valuable than the studio. Because the IP is being wasted.

Im not sure if its their biggest IP anymore and that doesent justify the outrageously long development times for what appears to be an incomplete product.

I wouldnt suggest closing Polyphany but the IP itself is not being utilized well. As its been mentioned, we are about to get the 5th Forza game on X1 and all have been good to great. People are already talking about PS5 but a proper 8th gen GT isnt even here.

Maybe GT needs a second studio to pick up the slack.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

GT is a sim and that is what their public want. And PC is very bad sim in case you don't know, it get nowhere near beating any GT game. Saying Street Fighter is a better game than Mario (being true or not) means anything when their public is different? Nope. So your point is useless... again you are basing your point in an unreleased game, Hipocrisy? Nope I played GT 1-6 and know the quality to expect from GT Sport, so expecting it to be better than DC isn't hipocrisy, but since you brought it, how can you evaluate GT Sport to be sure it will be worse than DC for sure?

Yes GT6 "only sold 5M" show which other racing IP got it. Owww besides MK none.

Qwark said:
You know I wish that I could say GT dissapointed me again. But by now I doubt that's even possible. The tracks and environments look bad, hell the whole gamd looks bad except for the cars. GT5 had a butload of content to justify the long development time. But this game has less content than Forza 5 and now also the online only bullshit bandwagon.

The game aim is completely different and it was made from ground up on new engine, new assets by a team that is 1/3 of Turn 10.